What To Do With Newbie Anglers?

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
I would take the Newbie somewhere that they could catch a lot of fish, just so that the Bug Bites them hard enough to keep them interested in going fishing again and again etc.

The first time i ever went Carp Fishing i caught a Carp, it was only around 8lb, but the thrill i got from catching that fish, using a new method of fishing, was and is just too complicated to describe accurately.

I wouldn't rush out and buy all the Carp Gear if for example you were only fishing on a pool that held Carp say up to 6lb for example.

Get the fishing bug to bite them hard enough from the start, at least then if they want to try something new like Carp Fishing they can and still come back to alternatives when they feel like it.

If you can only fish one style of fishing, then you have no other alternatives to turn to.

Reaction score
I would also look for ways to stress the other delights of the sport. Particularly the settings, wildlife and the friendships...that's as key a part of the addiction as the catching.

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
First Jeff, guess what - that young man at Bury Hill was actually the lake record holder and captor of many of those thirties! :) He works there and knows the lake inside out. So perhaps our first lesson is that we older guys shouldn't be quite so disparaging of the modern angling youth - they can sometimes teach us at least as much as we can teach them. (Or could if they knew how to teach :) )
We older anglers started with small fish and went on to bigger fish. These days it's the other way around.
The big-carp magnet is too big a draw to resist for new anglers. It still has all the mystery and fascination it had in the 50s and 60s with the difference that these days there's a water nearby where they can actually catch these leviathans, so who can blame someone targeting them? If we had the option as teenagers we would have made the same choices. Let them get on with it and one day, probably in the cold winter when they haven't seen a carp for a month or two, someone will introduce them to pike fishing.
Now, to catch a pike, the best bait is usually a livebait. To catch a livebait, especially in winter, can be, and often is, a challenge. And it's one that cannot be solved by muscle. This is when those guys will start to learn the other side of angling, how to catch the range of smaller fish and the pleasures in doing so.

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
Imagine if Terry Hearn 10 years ago had said this to you and you didn't know who he was, you'd have thought, what does this spotty young lad know about Carp Fishing ........... well you would be surprised.

Geoff is right, you can't dismiss their experiance just because of their age.

Martin Bowler 10 years ago, probably knew more about fishing different techniques and waters than most people double his age.

Mind you look at some of the teachers that they had to show them how to start off, it's hardly surprising that they learnt quickly, mind you they had to have the drive to want to learn. I think John Wilson is Martins Uncle, or some relation.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
To answer this I'd have to ask "Who the newbie is?"
If the newbie is a much loved family member or close friend then I'd lend them some of my old tackle, introduce them to my local tackle shop and take them to a well stock commercial in the warmer weather to enable them to get some bites.
Then as they took to the sport I'd show them different fishing methods, take them river fishing, sell them a few bits and pieces of gear I no longer needed and help them buy their first rod ect.

If the newbie was that bloke a few doors down (every street has one) who has to go one better than everyone else, who has a bigger conservatory, the newer car, who's vast Technicolor Christmas lights outside his house are using enough electricity to power a small Welsh village and causing aircraft to mistake his garden for an airport landing strip then it would be different.
Naturally he'' only be interested in carp and barbel fishing so I'd take him to a large tackle shop and show him the vast array on rods, reels, seatboxes ect, and encourage him to spend, spend, spend on the most expensive gear going and if he looked like showing sign of reluctance I'd say things like "Well of course you could buy cheaper but everyone will spot budget rods" or "Naturally you'll want to buy one of those as you gain experience" this will mean he will have to buy it and buy the best - his pride will not let him do otherwise.
Then loaded down with top of the range gear I'd take him to the hardest fishing place I know in the depth of winter and let him fish for hours without a bite by setting his gear up for him and making the rig fish proof.
After a few trips not catching and me showing him picture of large fish caught somewhere else but claimed to be from the very swim he fished a few days ago, he'd give up angling and after a few month I'd offer to buy the unused tackle off him at a much reduced price (well it's second hand now and a newer version is out), flog the lot on Ebay for a vast profit before getting him interested in clay pigeon shooting - have you seen the price of some of those shotguns, and another 6 months of him shooting with wonky sights and I'd be in profit again, then move on to guitars "You need a top of the range Gibson LP to really sound good"

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
First Jeff, guess what - that young man at Bury Hill was actually the lake record holder and captor of many of those thirties!
You sure, Geoff? Well my apologies to him, but there didn't seem to be anything more coming out of him than the obvious.

---------- Post added at 14:14 ---------- Previous post was at 14:10 ----------

If the newbie is a much loved family member or close friend then I'd lend them some of my old tackle, introduce them to my local tackle shop and take them to a well stock commercial in the warmer weather to enable them to get some bites.
Then as they took to the sport I'd show them different fishing methods, take them river fishing, sell them a few bits and pieces of gear I no longer needed and help them buy their first rod ect.
Already gone through that phase, except that, he hasn't paid me for anything as yet! :mad:

The point of the piece is - Are anglers better anglers for staring off with small catches in a variety of species or should they go straight for the big carp?
As for little carp, fine as long as they come as part of a mixed bag, but if it's commercial fishing where it's carp and nothing else - forget it. That is B - O - R - I - N - G -! To me at least.

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
You have to remember that catching Gudgeon, small roach, etc was probably how the older generation amongst us started catching their first fish, on the Canals and stretches of their local river.

That to a lot of youngsters today would probably be boring to them (perhaps not).

Commercial fisheries offer them, not just a chance to catch fish, but to catch some nice sized fish, this in turn gets them interested in fishing, as they can catch, it might not be what a lot of us cut our teeth on as bairns (children) but it should never be just about the fish, it should also be about the magic of Fishing.

I have just watched the 2009 semi final of the British Carp fishing Championship, all of those guys looked really up for it, even though in 48 hours most of them didn't catch anything. They will still be out on the banks at the next opportunity that they get.

Which of our Fishing Disciplines generates the most Money (items / tackle) and the Most interest ?

I have no idea, but i should imagine it must be either Pole fishing or Carp Fishing.

I am trying to imagine what Discipline it might be in 10 years time ???

Ok, my head hurts now, so time for a break in the GAGA talk :D

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Commercial fisheries offer them ................. it should also be about the magic of Fishing.
There's quite a few commercial fisheries where they won't experience the "magic" of fishing. Not all, I admit, but many.

I used to take my step-grandson (the lad in the article) fishing on a club water when the club didn't have it, during the close season. We new a couple of the shareholders who could fish it then. That was quite a nice water, still is, but apart from catching the obvious carp there were many other species of fish to tackle and almost all methods worked.

We even tried boilies on bolt rigs once to prove that it was not that method that was causing the mouth distortions. So he got quite a good grounding in many disciplines including, as you see, barbel fishing on the Thames.

(PS: BTW I'm not asking for tips on how to teach people how to fish, I've been doing that for more years than I care to think of and I am a qualified (by the Government of the day) instructor, although not of this present fishing stuff where it seems more important to have a CRB check than to know the different teaching methods.)

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
I agree, perhaps not all commercial fisheries posess the Magic wow Factor of all things Fishy, but saying that, quite a few Barren Lochs, and Weed filled rivers, or Crapp filled Canals don't offer them either.

To a lot of youngsters, families, women, disabled anglers, these commercial fisheries are a dream and a good safe one (yes, i know, not all of them are) to relax and catch fish, with toilet facilities, some have cafe's and coaching facilities, tackle shops they provide bait, great on a Monday morning when you want fresh maggots etc.

They are indeed a means to an end, a one stop have it all get it all supermarket fishery (did i just type that), anyway they're convenient for all types of anglers at all stages of experience.

That's where i would take a newbie to learn how to fish.

If they wanted to learn about Nature i would take them to a Park or a Woodland somewhere.

slime monster

Reaction score
I believe you can not "produce "an angler ,he or she must want to be one whether they know that or not before a line is cast,most times this latent yearning to go fishing is awakened when the new student is taken for the very first time and I am pleased to say one or two began their fishing career at my side however a lot of others including my own lad showed complete disinterest and became bored very quickly in spite of fish being caught.
So with that in mind my way on being asked to assist someone who has never fished before is simple , a whip and maggots on a fairly easy "bites" water and within half an hour I can gauge their level of interest ,in my book if that does not float your boat on day one you are not a born angler and maybe other more sedentry methods would suit better taught by others.

Graham Marsden

Editor Emeritus
Reaction score
The point of the piece is - Are anglers better anglers for staring off with small catches in a variety of species or should they go straight for the big carp?

My grandson, who is 14 now, has gone through several phases. Over the years I've taken him flirter snatching, barbel and chub fishing on the river, fishing for big carp with the usual rod pods, alarms, etc (his biggest carp was 18lb) and then fishing commercials with a variety of methods, including The Method and pole fishing.

At one stage he preferred to fish for big carp, then all he wanted to do was pole fish, and then a phase when he wanted to fish a waggler for small fish.

Last summer and autumn he fished a few junior matches on a local club water and now that's his latest phase.

I won't push him towards anything as I want him to feel comfortable in finding his own slot, or to become an all-rounder if that's what he decides. And whatever that is I'll help and encourage him as much as I can.

I won't be telling him commercials are **** or fishing for big carp is boring or that match fishing is for fools, or anything like that. I enjoy them all in their own way, and that's really what I'd like him to do. But I want him to find his own way towards his own preference without being shackled by any of my prejudices.

If I had any that is.

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
What in all that is Holy, is ..............Flirter Snatching ??

Sounds like something i may have tried a few times myself, on the broken Tarmac'd streets, of Glasgow back streets, behind the Middens with a Minger or Two when i was in my younger anything so i can't see straight stage :wh

Graham Marsden

Editor Emeritus
Reaction score
You don't know what flirter snatching is? Jeez, the next thing you know you'll be telling me you don't know what goby and bandit bashing is!

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
Feel free to PM me, if it involves scantily Clad women, and leather, with various food items ................ :D

---------- Post added at 11:49 ---------- Previous post was at 11:48 ----------

You have to remember Graham, i am a foreigner amongst you lot of Juggers (Thank God, weird speaking lot down here) ................ :wh

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
i know that "Eyes" are classed as really small fish ............ i was taught that by a Jugger, the term made me laugh quite a lot at the time. :D

I still can't get used to Men calling each other Duck ............ that's a big NO NO

redalert06

Reaction score
I made a right cock up in this regard teaching a friend how to fish last year. Took him to a commercial to get a bend in his rod first time out and all he wanted to do was catch carp since.

Next time I teach anyone it will be gudgeon on a whip etc, then running water saving the carp puddles for the winter

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
What does it matter what fish they catch, and where they catch them from, so long as they are fishing and enjoying it.

They can always learn to fish other techniques and other waters at a later date.

Is there a sequence of fishing proticol that everyone must follow (Stupid) You must start here ........ do not pass go, do not collect £200 <Der>

Fishing is bloody fishing, mind you catching fish does help.