what was the last rod you bought?

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
Bought the Dean Macy 11/6-13ft feeder - I have the Drennan 11ft feeder puddle chucker on it's way from a friend so I bought the Dean Macey to use at 13ft - but it will be ok on the tight Rother swims at 11/6

It will be interesting to comapre the 2 rods the Dean M at £50 and the Drennan rrp £70 (bought "brand new" 2nd han for £35

What rod have you last bought

sam vimes

Reaction score
It was a second hand Shimano Technium DF 15' Specimen Match. It's a cracker and was bought for very little.

Frank Elson

Reaction score
Shakespeare Mach 1XT power feeder 13ft.
Excellent rod, and at the price doubly excellent.

...it caught me my first carp in 30 years this afternoon, among a handful of bream.

dannytaylor

Reaction score
A little 7ft abu garcia spinning/stalking rod. 1Ib (or there abouts) TC lovely through action.£20 from a second hand shop. Got it with trolling plugs for perch in mind. Had a quick bash with it the other day on a small overgrown brook using slugs and jigs, great fun with plenty of small chub and perch, great fun.

001-25-1.jpg

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
The last one was a stepped-up Avon rod; Harrison blank finished by a young rod builder from the Midlands.

He made an excellent job of the rod and at 11 feet it is ideal for some of the Hampshire Avon swims that I regularly fish.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
An ebay wreck. Last successful purchases which I remember were a Rodrill and a BLack Seal, both all-built-cane, eleven foot, heavy float rods. I've refurbed the Black Seal, and have yet to do up the Rodrill (it was in a better state) and have had a number of carp and bream on both.

Last modern rod was a Grandeslam Academy 10' float rod.
I adore it, and if it had a threaded tip ring, it would become my all-rounder of choice.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Last rod was a Drennan Mk 4 (?) Tench Float which has served me well and has become a favourite all-rounder.It managed to land an unexpected 17lb carp without a problem and doubles as a quiver tip rod at a push and even touch ledgering with it is a pleasure...

Prior to that, well it just too long ago to remember as most of the rods I use are fibre glass bought an absolute age ago and still in fine fettle...

Never understood the point of buying loads of rods that just sit.......although I appreciate many anglers(if readiing the posts on FM are anything to go by) just like to have 'the latest' and nothing wrong with that at all....
I have thought about buying several rods (including a Harrison and some other highly thought of rods) as I really appreciate pure quality and good design but I end up thinking-why, and do I really need them??

ps It drives my wife mad that I 'fence sit' on this subject -she thinks I'm too careful and think just a little too much-and knows that once bought I would really enjoy them. She even offered to buy me a PAIR of Barder rods-made to measure-for a birthday and although I would love to have them I'm still thinking about it..........stupid really isn't it..................................................

Reaction score
Drennan Red 10ft "carp" feeder. Lovely rod..ideal for shorter range feeder fishing for roach and bream on some of my club waters. Trying not to buy any more "major" items (I have what I need)

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
She even offered to buy me a PAIR of Barder rods-made to measure-for a birthday and although I would love to have them I'm still thinking about it..........stupid really isn't it................................................ ..

Yes, procrastinate not, just tell her to buy them

They are beautiful rods and you'll get many happy hours of use from them.

I wouldn't trade my Merlin for anything . . . . . . well, anything short of Natalie Portman that is!

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Must look up Ms Portman..........the mind is strong but the body weak eh??

Shame on you,but we all have our limits I suppose...

You're absolutley right although its more to do with the shaking hand when writing the cheque..................................I will try to be positive though-and soon!!!

Chav....Oh yes! I have a Big feeder and what a joy to use-10lb+ barbel in heavy weed-no problems whatsoever!!

Reaction score
Just bought a Greys Prodigy TX Feeder rod 12ft. Not used it yet but a lovely looking rod. Tips from 1.5 to 3.5 oz. It copes with hook lenghts down to 2lb and mainlines up to 12lb! Just what I was looking for. A feeder rod beefy enough to cope with large feeders when fishing for barbel on the Ribble yet sensitive enough to cope with lighter tackle on large reservoirs etc. Also a good method feeder rod.

I also bought a John Wilson Avon quiver 11/13ft - a bargain at £49! Great for lighter ledger work but also good for heavy float work - trotting a chubber/loafer.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
Just bought a Greys Prodigy TX Feeder rod 12ft. Not used it yet but a lovely looking rod. Tips from 1.5 to 3.5 oz. It copes with hook lenghts down to 2lb and mainlines up to 12lb! Just what I was looking for. A feeder rod beefy enough to cope with large feeders when fishing for barbel on the Ribble yet sensitive enough to cope with lighter tackle on large reservoirs etc. Also a good method feeder rod.

I also bought a John Wilson Avon quiver 11/13ft - a bargain at £49! Great for lighter ledger work but also good for heavy float work - trotting a chubber/loafer.

how much was the Greys Matt?

might be my next "must have"

mol

Reaction score
My last rod was a second hand 7ft St Croix Premier light spinning rod, lovely rod thats already put a smile on face.

Fishingdownthewindy

Reaction score
TFG - Compact all-rounder mainly used for a quick fish inbetween all the nagging at home and when I go camping and nagging in the tent.

little oik

Reaction score
A second hand Shimano beastmaster 2.75t/c .I got it for spodding ( a small spod I hasten to add )