What was your first fish and where did you catch It ?

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
After failing to catch on limpets off the rocks on a Hastings beach I found a soft shelled crab and impaled the innards on a hook. I cast it into an outflow which was probably sewerage and caught a small dab...
I took it back to my grannies house and she cooked it for me. Circa 1960..
My first freshwater fish was a roach on bread from the bridge at the back of the supermarket where I still fish today..circa 1969..

peterjg

Reaction score
I can't remember my first fish but it would almost certainly have been from the Thames with my Mum, Dad and my sister in the second half of the '50s. A lifetime of fishing, still just as enthusiastic!

wetthrough

Reaction score
I know where it was, Radcot on the Thames but not a 100% sure what it was. Quite small and an awful lot of them caught on a tank aerial and bakelite pin.

About 1957

Last edited:

bowies

Reaction score
my first fish was a daddy ruffe of a couple of ounces caught on a worm from westport lake in stoke and after 53 years of fishing since ive never caught another

morston1

Reaction score
Can’t remember the year but it would have been over 60years ago....a small roach out of a backwater on the Thames at Sandford on Thames.

We used to spend hours, as kids, catching bleak and having great fun....don’t look on bleak so kindly nowadays:eek:mg:

terry m

Reaction score
A salmon parr caught on maggot from the Avon running through QE Gardens in Salisbury. All of 2oz,

But was followed that same day by a 1 1/2 lb grayling, and I was hooked!!!

chrissh

Reaction score
I started fishing 1966 most probably a minnow on bread was the first fish I ever caught on a rod.

We used to go the bakers and buy yesterday’s stale bread for 1 penny for bait. and bag of yesterday’s cakes for 1 penny to eat. With a bottle watered down of orang squash mum would make us for the day

Maggots cost six pence when we could afford them

My first biggish fish was a roach caught at Hertford lock on the river lea on a rod made out of a tank aerial and black prince reel, homemade quill float

carpinbob

Reaction score
A Bleak from the river lea back in 1970 , using a 2 piece glass fibre spinning rod. Happy days.

bracket

Reaction score
For me that would be a gudgeon caught from the Trent in 1949. The tackle was a 10 or 12 foot garden cane, no reel, just silk line tied on the end with a goose quill float and a gilt crystal hook to cat gut and maggot as the bait. There would be four or five of us in a line and once you caught a fish you handed the gear onto the next kid and so on. Like a piscatoreal pass the parcel. I've been at it ever since. Pete

The bad one

Reaction score
Sticklebacks on a garden cain, safety pins as eyes, cottonbobbin as a reel, with black thread as line, matchstick as a float and a bentpin as a hook. Fishing the lock above Sammy’s Basin on the Hollingwood BranchCanal.
Moved on to Sammy’s, same set up to catch 2 inch roach onbread balls on the hook.

steve2

Reaction score
Looking at these posts and most go back many years makes me wonder what is the first fish now caught by new anglers. I wouldn't mind betting it's a carp followed by a carp.

The Runner

Reaction score
First fish that I can remember was a coalfish about 8 inches from the quayside at Amble in Northumberland on a piece of herring with a spinning rod and Intrepid reel that my uncle had got me for my 9th birthday. If I close my eyes can still see a picture of it coming up through the water.
First coarse fish would have been six years later, 6oz perch from Throckley Reigh just outside Newcastle.

I said "that I can remember" because when I was clearing parents house out, among the boxes and boxes of old photographs there was one of me aged 4 and my sister at Eyemouth harbour posing with handlines and a coalfish each. Try as I might I have no memory of this whatsoever

barbelboi

Reaction score
First fish....a 10oz skimmer on bread from Little Britain Lake in Cowley (Middx) in about 1967. I've no doubt Simon and Jerry will know the place. It was some time before I caught another one, thank goodness.

Knew it well Skip but, if fishing stills at the time, chose the Harefield pits - far more productive. Here's LB a couple of years ago...

Attachments

• lb1.jpg
    lb1.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 174

PewterRaven

Reaction score
Gudgeon when fishing a competition on Coventry Canal, I was only 6yrs old (1960)
Won a five shilling postal order from local WMC, like England winning the World Cup!
Happy days, still fishing sixty years later. Thank you Dad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

edsurf

Reaction score
This question will have been asked before... New members in a New Year may be interested. Always some lovely memories to be had when asking the question ; what was your first fish and where did you catch it.

A perch from Talkin tarn using an old cane rod, yellow top cork float and a worm dug from the farm yard. about 1968. more special it was with my dad.

Another Dave

Reaction score
Sticklebacks on hooks made from copper wire, worms for bait. Soon after i invented the '10 hook stickleback stick', a kind of coat hanger like device with the hooks dangling below.

The first fish i caught on my 6ft spinning rod was an eel, which swallowed the hook. The same pond held crucians averaging 1lb, and once we just about worked out how to catch these i was completely hooked.

Last edited:

russell_bush

Reaction score
My first fish was a bootlace eel, the second was a gudgeon , and I still have a soft spot for them now.

Both were caught from the lower Severn at Clevelode, when Worcester and District had it. It was a 3 mile bike ride for us lads. This would have been 1979 I think. I'm pretty sure that I'm the only one out of a group of 6 or 7 of us who still fishes.

Legered maggot on a six foot borrowed fibreglass rod !

Last edited:

d.owens

Reaction score
My first fish was a perch caught on a big hook tied to black cotton, a big old worm as bait and a matchstick float. It was 1976 in the summer holidays with my uncle and cousin at The Seven Sisters in Walton, Liverpool. Sadly the ponds are long gone now.