when were carp introduced into UK

J

john conway

The following is taken out of a 1960 Observer’s Book of freshwater fishes: -
“ The carp is the queen of rivers; a stately, a good, and a very subtle fish; that was not at first bred, nor hath been long in England, but is now naturalized.” So speaks our good Izaak Walton, voicing the opinion of all who know that lovely fish.
The latter part of this quotation, however, makes one furiously to think. Ever since I can remember all the natural history books, including many by recognised authorities, have referred to carp as a fish cultivated in the “fish stews” belonging to monasteries; the idea being to provide fish to be eaten on their many fast days. Sea-fish, owing to slow transport, were only available to people living near the sea, otherwise they were salted and in that condition were not altogether palatable.
Now the introduction to the carp into this country from the Continent has been given various dates, Gunther gives an earlier date than most authorities, viz. 1614. Izaak Walton wrote his “Complete Angler” in 1653, and in it he says that the carp had been in England “about a hundred or a few more years,” quoting the “Chronicle of Sir Richard Baker”: -
“Hope and Turkeys, carps and beer,
Came into England all in a year.”
This annus mirabilis was round about 1530, and at about that time the monasteries were suppressed by Henry VIII. Therefore, if this profound piece of research is correct, it must have been some other fish that they cultivated; as to that fish, in my opinion, the perch would be the most likely candidate, its flesh being altogether more delicate and nutritious.
And so says the 1960 Observer’s Book of freshwater fishes.
So come on all you carp anglers what’s the answer, when were carp introduced into England

C

Carp Angler

I am currently fishing a lake that was dug by the Cistercian monks as a carp farm in 1270 to supply the local monastries.

I'll try and search for any earlier references.

C

Carp Angler

OK,
I can't divulge the lake I'm fishing, but we have spoken to some historians and viewed some extremely old books which seem to corroberate our information with regards to the date.
I've found another referncehere which refers to carp ponds prior to 1250 in the Chester area.

Anyone else?????

J

john conway

Thanks for the article Rik. Part of the article states: - “Records survive that show he had repairs done, and during the time of the Earls we know that there was a water-powered mill, fishponds for carp for the table and the park contained deer and wild boar for hunting.”
Being a devils advocate! Did the original records that survived actually state that the fish in the fishponds were carp or is that what the writer of the article assumed the fish in the fishponds would be?