When would you consider yourself too old

steve2

Reaction score
I still remember the last time I went fishing July 2019 caught some nice tench and a few bits and pieces I never expected that to be the last time.
Then my health issues flared up and the last place I wanted to be was on my own on the bank just in case I was taken ill, It happened once before. The need to go fishing was replaced by the need to get well, I have now mostly recovered but fishing the bug as gone. I suppose that little voice in my head is saying what if you are taken ill on the bank again.

I have a two old fishing friends one like me now never goes and the other now goes against doctors orders.

I still hope the fishing bug will come back I think it just needs that first trip out. So instead being too old to go fishing I may become an even older one returning.

Philip

Reaction score
I still remember the last time I went fishing July 2019 caught some nice tench and a few bits and pieces I never expected that to be the last time.
Then my health issues flared up and the last place I wanted to be was on my own on the bank just in case I was taken ill, It happened once before. The need to go fishing was replaced by the need to get well, I have now mostly recovered but fishing the bug as gone. I suppose that little voice in my head is saying what if you are taken ill on the bank again.

I have a two old fishing friends one like me now never goes and the other now goes against doctors orders.

I still hope the fishing bug will come back I think it just needs that first trip out. So instead being too old to go fishing I may become an even older one returning.
Is there anyone that you can go with at least for the first few trips ? ...seems a bit sad that you seem to have the will to get back out there but just the nagging doubt in case something happens that is stopping you.

As you say, perhaps you just need to get that first trip under your belt to kick start things again.

David Rogers 3

Reaction score
How does anyone know ? .. perhaps the after life includes the perfect fishing lake...Giant Carp, nice comfy Bivves and a cold crate of beer while you wait for the 4 rod buzzer setup to shriek.

Isnt that the dream of every FM member ? ;) ?
Not that I believe in an after life, but I've always liked this famous story by G.E.M. Skues: https://theliteraryflyfisher.com/2012/01/20/627/

Reaction score
Over the last year or so I am aching as soon as I start packing my gear away,so this question is relevant to me I am able to walk fair distances with my gear but have noticed when on holiday walking every night builds up on me,at present I feel my fishing is managable at 67,as I re-assess as time passes,commercials or certain club lakes are already written in,I love winter fishing so I really hope the cold doesnt effect me as I get further up this ladder we all climb....

Reaction score
How does anyone know ? .. perhaps the after life includes the perfect fishing lake...Giant Carp, nice comfy Bivves and a cold crate of beer while you wait for the 4 rod buzzer setup to shriek.

Haha,you mean nightmares of course Philip?

rayner

Reaction score
,commercials are already written in,I love winter fishing so I really hope the cold doesnt effect me as I get further up this ladder we all climb....
I am determined to fish through the year, for maybe 4 years I have sat in the house from just before Christmas to February I have spent sat in the house. Lockdown has made me think of the times I could not get on the bank through shielding.
If the weather is decent enough there is nothing to stop me. Even if it will be just a part-day.

nottskev

Reaction score
I am determined to fish through the year, for maybe 4 years I have sat in the house from just before Christmas to February I have spent sat in the house. Lockdown has made me think of the times I could not get on the bank through shielding.
If the weather is decent enough there is nothing to stop me. Even if it will be just a part-day.

Good luck with it - I often think a "nice" day in winter - 8c or even more, with light or no wind and grey sky with no rain - is the best time to be by the water. Fish are shoaled up, and good catches are on, if you land on them, and the landscape has an (insert long word) austere beauty with all the vegetation and foliage gone. And cold weather gear is so good these days.

rayner

Reaction score
I definitely will Mike, I can not stand full sun. Cooler weather suits me better. Not too fond of getting wet when it is cold, cold has never bothered me. Plus I have a heated base layer top that helps.

Last edited:

Keith M

Reaction score
My problem when it gets really cold is my Hands and fingers go stiff and a bit painfull and I can’t even straighten my fingers out.

I used to fish in all weathers, and a few times I’ve woken up with my line being stuck in surface ice when I’ve fished through the night; but it only needs to be anywhere near freezing now and I’m stuffed

That’s just an age thing that I get now I’m in my 70s I guess.

Keith

john step

Reaction score
Touch wood and not tempting fate.....
I am 72 and am fortunate in my health. I still have a low blood pressure and take regular exercise to keep fit.
I cannot envisage a time I will stop angling. I think the answer for me at least is to participate in different disciplines.
I never think I have been totally successful. There is always a thought I could have done something a bit different.

That is not to say I have not moderated my sometimes reckless attitude to safety after falling on those Trent rocks that Flightliner mentioned. I did several ribs.
I now go to where there are flat concrete platforms.
I have bought a tall bivvy as its easier to get in and out of and now do less all nighters.

I must admit though that I was completely knackered after the 230 mile round trip to Boddington and all that casting, feeding and striking.

bracket

Reaction score
I am coming up to 81 soon and have fished regularly since 8 years old. Like most of us I have fished in all weather's, all year round and still do. I do now temper my trips out with measured judgement and during the winter months pick my days. There is nothing more invigorating that walking the river bank on a cold, crisp morning, after grayling. However if that involves driving in treacherous conditions I tend to pull the duvet over my head and reminisce on past sucessful sessions. Fishing in winter need not be seen as an ordeal. Let common sense prevail, today's all weather clothing is superb and four hours is long enough to satisfy me that I can still do it. The golden rule is stop when it is nolonger enjoyable (winter league matches excluded). I am reminded of one occasion on a bitterly cold winters morning I was unloading my gear while parked in a lay bye. There was a line of traffic backed up from a level crossing. A guy next to me wound down his window and said "Fishing? You must be mad" . I said" No doubt Pal, but it beats the sh*t out of working. Pete.

Regalis

Out of reach...
Reaction score
my father has it sussed having a caddy...

I buy the bait, I organise the gear, I load it in the truck, I barrow it to the swim.

I pump the lug, collect the crabs, dig the rag, tie the rigs, tow the boat, launch/retrieve and drive it.

He basically just gets out of bed on the day and goes fishing! Good job he is only 54. I have a few years before I'm wheeling him to disabled swims!

John Aston

Reaction score

Nope -indifferent to carp . loathe bivvies , never fished more than two rods , not used buzzer since optonic days and allergic to beer (seriously ) . So that would be The Other Place. Mine would be a wild trout stream on a 'thyme scented , bird hatching morning in May ' (copyright Thomas Hardy) or a deserted rural canal in January, on a still, cool day , under grey cloud cover with a succession of monster perch and zander competing to take my light lure. And a bottle of Chateau Musar to drink when I get home . To be shared with 1967 spec Diana Rigg, obvs

Philip

Reaction score
Nope -indifferent to carp . loathe bivvies , never fished more than two rods , not used buzzer since optonic days and allergic to beer (seriously ) . So that would be The Other Place. Mine would be a wild trout stream on a 'thyme scented , bird hatching morning in May ' (copyright Thomas Hardy) or a deserted rural canal in January, on a still, cool day , under grey cloud cover with a succession of monster perch and zander competing to take my light lure. And a bottle of Chateau Musar to drink when I get home . To be shared with 1967 spec Diana Rigg, obvs

...I was with you until the Chateau Musars...gotta be French with fish ...anything else is just plain uncivilized...;)?