When ?

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I'm not being morose just realistic.

There will come a point ( I suspect) when I shall no longer be able to fish....certainly not in certain ways or for certain species. So....what to do with the gear which I've accumulated over a lifetime of fishing ? I have some very good rods which have a resale value, a lot of mid range stuff which ought to fetch a few quid and some budget enders. Then there are reels...I've a few nice pins and some decent fly reels. And that's just the users....never mind the collection of vintage reels some of which are also worth a few quid although some are largely decorative.

Either way there's a lot of it and I'd hate it to end up trashed but only I know what is good and what it might fetch. I suspect it might be a tidy sum too.

So....do I list and value it now ?
Start getting rid of some of it now?
Do nothing and let somebody else sort it out when I've weighed in my last net ?

Its not something I've ever really thought about until recently when I started telling myself I didn't need x rod or y reel because I've only so much fishing left in me.

Keith M

Reaction score
My son Stuart will most probably inherit all of my Fishing tackle anyway.

Keith

peterjg

Reaction score
My son and grandsons will inherit my tackle. The problem being that a lot of it is homemade and they will either not want it or know what it is for!?

rayner

Reaction score
I thought of the exact same thing, not leaving my daughter to get rid of my fishing tackle.
I have mostly thinned all my unwanted gear, most of which went next door to a young lad who is finding a good use for it.
Trouble being I am very weak and started buying new rods and reels to replace the ones I gave away. My wife said things like "not another rod" I just told her in a wimpy voice, "I'm not very well" she just rolled her eyes and bought more shoes.

mikench

Reaction score
Ive told my kids what my gear is potentially worth and er indoors . Its up to them to maximise its value. Im still sorting out my fathers estate and making sure my mother is well provided for whilst my 3 sisters do very little. It was ever thus. I might rethink in 20 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

waldi

Reaction score
Having no sons mine’s all going to the local tackle shop.
They support a lot of the local fishing clubs and will see it gets donated or loaned to deserving causes.Normally youngsters that can’t afford their own kit.

ian g

Reaction score
I’m going to write a letter “Only to be opened in the event of my death” and put it in the safe. No way I’m telling her what I’ve spent over the years, not while I’m still alive anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
made me chuckle, my wife has had horses since she was six . I'm keen on fishing , she has more of an obsession ? . I really have no worry about her knowing how much I have spent on fishing tackle . It'll be nothing compared to the money spent on horses but you only live once.

nottskev

Reaction score
It's a tricky business, fishing gear and mortality. I admire the rational guy who slims his gear down to what he knows he'll use in his fishing swan song. But when does that start, and who wants to opt in early to the this-will-see-me-out stage? But if you ignore the progress of time, one day your executor may be wondering what to do with all this bloody fishing gear, there seems to be some in every room. Then again, I like owning some stuff I'm unlikely to use, and I'd feel poorer not richer selling it for a relative pittance.

Nobody benefitting from my estate (ho ho) needs to cash in my fishing gear - they'll be getting the villa, the millions in the bank - so my directions are to contact these people (named fishing friends) and invite them to find the gear across two sheds and a house, take a few things for themselves and do something good with the rest. The people concerned will know doing "something good" doesn't include selling them on ebay. Or I wouldn't be inviting them to dispose of the gear.

A friend of mine died much too young. When it came to the contents of his fabulously equipped workshop - he was an engineer and a lifelong maker of things - his bereaved ex invited a number of his friends to come, meet up and take what they could use, or would like to have. Amongst other things, I also came away with a Mitchell 300 I'd given him 20 years earlier. I thought it was the right way to deal with the stuff that was his personal passion and equally suited to fishing gear.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
Sell most of the good stuff, save only what you use and any that is of no value donate

Last summer I had a clear out of fishing tackle
Rods, chairs, boxes I've not used for years made about 700 quid still got more than I need though

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I really ought to start thinning it out. I've got rid of a lot of it already but there is still ( literally) shedloads. The Hardys and the pins are going to the kids but as an only occasional carper I've somehow accumulated more than a dozen carp rods....and goodness know how many barbel/tench type rods.

Then there's the trite and sea trite gear.Howl !

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I know one thing, it is very easy to buy something, takes a minute but selling stuff is ten times harder and can take weeks, months or even years so I would start selling it now, get the cash and then you can make good use of it however you want. I am looking to do the same with a lot of my collected stuff, I will try auctions wherever possible, I find that the easiest, less hassle than eaby, advertising in papers and all that, OK you lose some commission but they take care of it all. All you have to do is drop it off and then they send you the cash into your bank account if it sells of course.

rayner

Reaction score
I have never sold any fishing gear, it narks me to think how little buyers want to pay. being a solid Yorkshire man if I could get the full price for my tackle I would have sold what I could.
I feel much better giving it away in the same fashion as Ian g. young folk who have shown interest will get everything.
Mind you I have never spent over a hundred quid on any rod or reel. Though the rods and reels were very usable.
t really peeves me how little anglers will pay for the pre-used tackle. They pay next to nothing then brag about the bargain they have just cabbaged from anglers who always buy new.
Well, they are not getting a bargain from me. If that makes me tight I can live with that. :)

steve2

Reaction score
Fishing tackle as little or no value, my collection of lures is worth far more than my rods and reels. If you ever tried selling rods you will find few people will want them at the price you think they are worth, reels are the same. If you check ebay you will see the market is full of second hand gear out of date gear the same as ours will be.

nottskev

Reaction score
You could be right that many items will sell for far less than we imagine. But it's not always the case. I bought a rod in 1993 for £120; the second one, a mint example bought in 2017, cost me £220. A rod I bought in 1992 for a slightly discounted £100 is currently on ebay for £160. Not unrealistic, as that's what the best examples go for, and what I paid for a second a few years back.. Mediocre stuff goes out of date and its value plunges, sure, but some classics remain relevant, sought after and valuable - in fact, that's not a bad snap definition of "classic". Maybe my rods are like your lures and your lures are like my rods?

rayner

Reaction score
Fishing tackle as little or no value, my collection of lures is worth far more than my rods and reels. If you ever tried selling rods you will find few people will want them at the price you think they are worth, reels are the same. If you check ebay you will see the market is full of second hand gear out of date gear the same as ours will be
I am fully aware of how tight anglers are when it comes to spending their cash on used tackle. that's why I would rather give it away.

Steve Arnold

Reaction score
A quote I found in a newspaper piece today ....

....... Montaigne “I want death to find me planting my cabbages, neither worrying about it nor the unfinished gardening.”

Carry on as normal, fish until you drop dead. When that happens you will not be worried about where your well used and well loved tackle ends up!