Where will you go and what Tackle will you use when........

Krang

Reaction score
Personally i'd forget the public transport and get a decent mtb. You can set off whenever you like, go home whenever you like etc, no waiting for sceduled transport.
A 25/30 mile radious is easy enough on a push rod with tackle and may give you plenty options.
Be warned though, you may find you ditch the fishing gear and start bikin' !

I rode a bike a lot when I was an exchange student in Japan. Was very useful for traveling around the town. I'm planning to go back to work there and so always have in the back of my mind that I'll have to sell anything that I buy and can't take with me. Public transport is pretty good here. I can get pretty much anywhere I need with two busses and never have to wait very long. Still, I may well get a bike given current circumstances.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Krang, are you old enough to drive? Reason I ask is because when things do eventually slacken off and we can all get out if you have a car maybe it would be worth your while travelling to quieter sections of canal/waters? If you have no car then a mtb, or any bike would take you way further than you might think, great on a canal also as you can cycle along the canal past all the hustle and bustle and just stop when you come to a nice looking spot.
A push bike is an ideal form of transport for someone who only carries minimum tackle such as a lure angler like yourself.

Cyclists in Oxford are like sacred cows in India. They think they own the roads even though there are cycle lanes on both pavement and roads, I have found a good way to shift them if they block the road,.... drive near them, put the clutch in and rev the engine, . Works nearly every time.. I can park in the roads near the city centre so sometimes not worth going on the bus even though every 10 minutes.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
I like canals, but lots of zander in oxford canal. Seeing as they are an invasive species I would be ok to not return any to the water according to the EA.
But would I ,?
One club on the canal are removing pike and leaving zander in. I cant see the point in that, surely keep the pike and knock zander on the head.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Edited post

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Hahaha, you got the wrong impression of me Krang.....I would have acted completely different with that driver!

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
How's my impression of markcw?

In all honesty, I don't know as I don't know him.

I've just had a conversation with someone about cyclists around oxford.
Apparently there are lots of cycle lanes round those parts and cyclists still ride down the centre of the roads...a bit daft in'it?
If I was driving a car in that situation then the cyclist would not doubt annoy me also, although I wouldn't purposely drive near to them and rev my car engine. I would keep my distance and use the car horn to let them know I want to get past.

Krang

Reaction score

Apparently there are lots of cycle lanes round those parts and cyclists still ride down the centre of the roads...a bit daft in'it?
If I was driving a car in that situation then the cyclist would not doubt annoy me also, although I wouldn't purposely drive near to them and rev my car engine. I would keep my distance and use the car horn to let them know I want to get past.

Cars are banned in Oxford. There is four 'park and rides' around the city where people are supposed to leave the cars and bus into the city.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Cyclists in Oxford are like sacred cows in India. They think they own the roads even though there are cycle lanes on both pavement and roads, I have found a good way to shift them if they block the road,.... drive near them, put the clutch in and rev the engine, . Works nearly every time.. I can park in the roads near the city centre so sometimes not worth going on the bus even though every 10 minutes.

In the days when the car works at Cowley and elsewhere employed over 30,000 in Oxford the number of cyclists coming out of the factory at shift change was something else. Dells used to have a tackle shop in Cowley and one day I went to leave just on 4pm. They said wait 10 minutes, you'll see why and seconds later hundreds and hundreds of workers on bikes (sit up and beg) came down the hill - this was early 80s.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Cars are banned in Oxford. There is four 'park and rides' around the city where people are supposed to leave the cars and bus into the city.

Ok, it was a number of years since the person I spoke to was actually in Oxford so obviously it has changed now.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Cars can go into the centre, also there are two good car parks in the centre, so I dont know where you get the idea of cars being banned, I can park right near the entrance to westgate shopping precinct if I want to.

Roger Johnson 2

Reaction score
Well, to bring this back on topic! Here in France fishing has been closed since March 21, but I can exercise pets, and so take my pet worms for a swim in the river at the bottom of the garden every 2-3days! When things start opening up again I was rather hoping to have a go at fly fishing for pike and largemouth bass from a float tube. I don’t yet have a heavy enough fly set up ( I’m thinking somewhere in the the range of #8 to deal with bulky streamers). Having spent 50 years English style coarse fishing it will be totally different to anything else I’ve done.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
In the days when the car works at Cowley and elsewhere employed over 30,000 in Oxford the number of cyclists coming out of the factory at shift change was something else. Dells used to have a tackle shop in Cowley and one day I went to leave just on 4pm. They said wait 10 minutes, you'll see why and seconds later hundreds and hundreds of workers on bikes (sit up and beg) came down the hill - this was early 80s.

It's mainly students now Mark, single cycle lanes in road yet they like riding 2 and 3 abreast sometimes, even the bus drivers curse them.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score

People have tried honking the horn, it hardly works, if I rev up I keep a distance . Got the idea from seeing a council van do it.

john step

Reaction score
Back to the original question. Probably watching a pike float if it continues to October..............:wh

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
It's mainly students now Mark, single cycle lanes in road yet they like riding 2 and 3 abreast sometimes, even the bus drivers curse them.

There always were thousands of students on bikes. I have a superb book called Oxford Replanned published in 1947 with all the traffic figures at a time when someone wanted to drastically replan the city's roads - some of it came to fruition eventually. A fascinating book. My family's connection to Oxford goes back over 130 years. When I visit Oxford I always park outside and take a bus in unless fishing.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score

Last post on driving in Oxford, that link is 4 years old, westgate carpark was under construction. If you know where argos is, walk along there and you will see parking spaces for blue badge holders, also other side roads have them. In fact I used one the other day, and lo and behold NO parking ticket or a fine through the post,
As for on topic, I will more than likely fish Newlands waters and the oxford canal around Annie's Kitchen, and possibly Clattercote Res. Up north it will be on some good commercials which are lacking down here.