Where will you go and what Tackle will you use when........

Krang

Reaction score
Argos is on the edge, and I don't remember seeing cars there... I bet you can't park anywhere near Carfax tower.

Krang

Reaction score
You couldn’t over 60 years ago ago either

There is plenty of parking around the old oxpens

Nobody drives past it either. I often wait for busses outside Christchurch and never see cars. Only busses, coaches and taxis. I believe there's a carpark at the back of Westgate but that's a long way from the center.

Anyway markcw won't be revving his engine at cyclists anywhere in Oxford much longer because the whole place is going electric only.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
The westgate carpark is part of westgate shopping mall. So how can that be far from the centre, ?
The road opposite entrance to centre is where argos is, walk along there and see how many cars are allowed to park there.
It's just a pity there is no tackle shop in oxford, that is well stocked,Instead of having to go to kidlington to Ace Tackle, or to States Tackle near linear fisheries.

Krang

Reaction score
The westgate carpark is part of westgate shopping mall. So how can that be far from the centre, ?
The road opposite entrance to centre is where argos is, walk along there and see how many cars are allowed to park there.
It's just a pity there is no tackle shop in oxford, that is well stocked,Instead of having to go to kidlington to Ace Tackle, or to States Tackle near linear fisheries.

The Westgate center is huge now. The outer edge of it isn't in the center according to any definition of center I've ever seen. The inner side of it is five mins walk from Carfax, which is at the center.

nottskev

Reaction score
The naming of the post-industrial landscape bends the language to breaking point. "Centres" are usually peripheral or in the middle of nowhere. "Villages" are likely to be collections of flat-roofed tin warehouses as in "Outlet Village". And anyone expecting trees and flowers in a park will be disappointed when they get to the "Retail Park".

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
They redeveloped it. Now its three floors and has a Curzon cinema.

And your point is ??
It is still like a row of shops compared to the Trafford Centre. Which also has 2 floors, a fountain, a multi national dining experience. A cinema and an 11500 capacity car park.
Now can we get this back on topic about going fishing and what with.

Krang

Reaction score
And your point is ??
It is still like a row of shops compared to the Trafford Centre. Which also has 2 floors, a fountain, a multi national dining experience. A cinema and an 11500 capacity car park.
Now can we get this back on topic about going fishing and what with.

Well Westgate has three floors! One of which is restaurants and bars on the roof where you can walk around a enjoy the view over the city. It has several multi national dining experience and not much of a car park because its in Oxford where you should leave your car at the park and ride!

I agree that we should now get the thread back on to the topic of fishing.

These days I use my Daiwa Ninja 3000a for everything apart from ultralight. I really like it. Obviously with lures I've cast and retrieved a lot with it and its done well. The infinite anti reverse moves backwards a couple of millimeters more than it used to. I'm thinking of getting another as a replacement then I'll have four spools as the Ninja comes with a spare. But those Ninja Lt reels look interesting. Lighter and with more drag. No spare spool tho.

Last edited:

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
I will be glad when this lockdown ends, I have told someone in Glossop that I will have his Shimano beastmaster margin pole and beastmaster margin extreme off him.
Also trying to meet up with a friend in Bedford to get a couple of spare number 6 sections for my Daiwa also a couple of half extensions for it,
May make arrangements to meet at Alders Farm and make a day of it. .

mikench

Reaction score
I might even get a pole.:confused: No no I'm going stir crazy and not thinking straight.:rolleyes:

I can understand you wanting another pole Mark as you don't have many.

John Keane

Reaction score
I will be glad when this lockdown ends, I have told someone in Glossop that I will have his Shimano beastmaster margin pole and beastmaster margin extreme off him.
Also trying to meet up with a friend in Bedford to get a couple of spare number 6 sections for my Daiwa also a couple of half extensions for it,
May make arrangements to meet at Alders Farm and make a day of it. .

Regret selling me your Beastmaster Margin, Mark?

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
I might even get a pole.:confused: No no I'm going stir crazy and not thinking straight.:rolleyes:

I can understand you wanting another pole Mark as you don't have many.

Down to my last 6 and 2 whips Mike.
I sold my beastmaster to John Keane a couple of years ago. Found out about this one in Glossop with the margin extreme which I already have, so going to go for it.
The sections my friend has are not costing me anything even though worth a couple of hundred quid.

John Keane

Reaction score
At the time no. I bought the new matrix mtx margin pole a couple of months ago. Then the beastmaster came on my radar, and wanted to replace the one I sold you. Been looking for one at a good price for a long time.

That’s still my only pole, Mark. Bought the extension to take it to 10m and another top kit and put in Middy PTFE bushes (very neat and easy to install) for side pullers. Don’t need more than 10m where I fish so it’s just the job for me.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
That’s still my only pole, Mark. Bought the extension to take it to 10m and another top kit and put in Middy PTFE bushes (very neat and easy to install) for side pullers. Don’t need more than 10m where I fish so it’s just the job for me.

This has a spare top 3 instead of top 2. May try and source an extension and another topkit, I think a Garbolino topkit will fit if cant get shimano, I already have the extreme so the one I get with this will be a spare. It will be interesting to see how it compares to the matrix margin pole.
The beastmaster I am getting has bottom pullers fitted, may fit the map side pullers instead.

John Keane

Reaction score
This has a spare top 3 instead of top 2. May try and source an extension and another topkit, I think a Garbolino topkit will fit if cant get shimano, I already have the extreme so the one I get with this will be a spare. It will be interesting to see how it compares to the matrix margin pole.
The beastmaster I am getting has bottom pullers fitted, may fit the map side pullers instead.

MAP are okay but the Middy ones are so simple, just drill a 5mm hole in one of the strengthened sections that they have for that stupid Elastigate system and just push the bush in and it clicks firmly into place. Little dab of superglue around the base and Bob’s your uncle! Don’t like the Preston ones, 10mm hole is too big. Off the top of my head I think you drill 7mm for the MAP bushes?

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Thanks John, I will look at the Middy, I had heard 6mm for the map, that's why I considered those, 7mm will be near the edges of the strengthened part of section.As for Prestons I have never fancied drilling 10mm into any topkit irrespective of make of pole, Did you get a genuine shimano topkit for yours ,?