Which digital scales ?

Philip

Reaction score
I have some doubts about Digital scales, mainly around their accuracy as batteries start to run down. However I am in the market for a new pair of scales and it would be silly to not consider a pair of digitals. Here is my wish list ;

*Got to be accurate
*Small as possible (I don’t understand why do some digitals have to be so big?)
*Long battery life
*Ideally Weighs in both Pounds and Kilos but if not just in pounds will do
*Ideally weighs in half ounce divisons but if not 1 ounce will do
*Robust
*Ideally Backlit but not essential
*Price - not important within reason. I want a good pair.

I was looking at the Reuban 9000 seris but open to suggestions from the forum.

One additional question someone may know…do digitals round up or round down ? ….so for example if a fish weighs 9.15 and three quarters of an ounce will digitals read 10lb ? …reason I ask is beause I am a bit of a maniac for needles on spring scales have to be flush to the mark or over else I always round down…so interested in what a digital pair would do.

Thanks !

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I’ve spent silly money on scales, the best have been those cheap travel scales for a fiver or less.

steve2

Reaction score
I use a cheap pair I bought with some suitcases from a travel shop. Checked them against my other more expensive scales and they are accurate to within a ounce which is good enough for me. Think I paid £6 for them also they are bright orange so esay to find.

Reaction score
Hi Philip,I use Electro Samson digital scales,I went through the same concerns of losing accuracy as battery life dies back,so on another forum I started a thread asking for suggestions just like you,Graham Marsden(Marsbar) and Eddie Bibby both came up with the scales mentioned above,accurate to 8 drams,without losing accuracy,I change the battery once a year,as advised to by Graham(need changing now actually),my only issue is bulk,but its not so much bigger and as I just would not fish without scales,they are as important to me as my rods,even though most fish don't grace them,lol...

Steve Arnold

Reaction score
Out of curiosity I took a punt on these cheap scales.....

Battery seems to hold a charge well, probably best to top up before each session.

Tested against kitchen scales on lighter weights and is accurate on lighter weights. Pulled against my Shimano spring scales it's accurate on heavier weights as well.

Good enough for my purposes and if it packs up, well it was cheap!

mikench

Reaction score
I use a set of Samsonite luggage scales here and the battery lasts ages and they weigh in grams or pounds and ounces. Once settled the weight is fixed for 10 seconds to take the reading. I'm not to an Oz or so as I'm not claiming records or ever likely to. At home I have a set of cheap digitals which work fine in the same way and for the same reason. They were less then a fiver. My only concern is exceeding 23 kilos of my wife's clothes and Malongo coffee . ;)

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
The Reubon Heatons are excellent ( mine are anyway) but if you aren't fussed about falling foul of the bankside police and dont want to pay carp tax then try a set of Newsome builders scales which are absolutely brilliant. I have been recommending these for years and will continue to do so.....I have two sets and neither have ever caused me a problem. They are smaller than a packet of fags and take up so space at all.

They are available on Amazon but you have to search for them ( 35kg Digital Hanging scales with 2 free tape measures by Newsome) . £13.99. Worth having as a back up even if you opt for a different "main" set.

steve2

Reaction score
With cheap scales being so accurate why pay big money for something that spends most of its life not being used.

bullmoose_jackson

Reaction score
I have two sets of these:

Cheap, cheerful and very small. But they have an excellent battery life and they are incredibly accurate (I have tested them against known weights). I personally wouldn't bother with anything else.

Reaction score
I have two sets of these:

Cheap, cheerful and very small. But they have an excellent battery life and they are incredibly accurate (I have tested them against known weights). I personally wouldn't bother with anything else.

I've ordered a set of these,if I like them I will buy another set,for another tackle bag,well worth a punt,but be warned,the missus will be round with the baseball bat if they're no good,that is after she has battered me with it...:ROFLMAO:

silvers

Reaction score
I purchased two of those as well this year, I’ve tested them against an accurate set of kitchen scales and they were within 10g every time up to 10kg.
i‘ve not used them yet in angler as I usually fish in matches where scales are part of the furniture so to speak.

my only doubt is the “lock feature” if the fish is still ”jumping” around

mikench

Reaction score
Alan I have a set of those and they are excellent for the money.

i‘ve not used them yet in angler - Freudian slip Alex?

john step

Reaction score
I forget things when I use different sets of tackle for different sorts of fishing. Therefore I have some of those cheap digi scales in various rucksacks.
I do take the batteries out if not going to be used for a while though.
However for big boy carping and piking I have a set of Korum digi scales. Nice bright backlight for darkness. Does pounds and ounces, ounces on their own, kilos and just for the tackle tarts it does the air temperature as well!:eek:
About £35,

wetthrough

Reaction score
I purchased two of those as well this year, I’ve tested them against an accurate set of kitchen scales and they were within 10g every time up to 10kg.
i‘ve not used them yet in angler as I usually fish in matches where scales are part of the furniture so to speak.

my only doubt is the “lock feature” if the fish is still ”jumping” around

With most of those cheap scales, if you press and hold the Tare button it turns the lock off. I've had some that remember the lock on/off state from use to use and some that need setting every time.

barbelboi

Reaction score
The Salter Electrosamson Digital Scales take some beating – don’t use ‘em myself but from what I’ve seen of them they are the dogs.....

I also use Reubon Heatons they're good enough for what I want.................

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
The Salter Electrosamson Digital Scales take some beating – don’t use ‘em myself but from what I’ve seen of them they are the dogs.....

I also use Reubon Heatons they're good enough for what I want.................

The Salter’s are good but not compact.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Definitely Ray,they are my go to for roach etc,where accuracy is key,but,when you are yomping,something smaller would be better...