Which digital scales ?

Philip

Reaction score
Thanks lads, very helpul..trouble is I like the sound of all of them ! ...I can see me ending up with 2 pairs..a primary and cheaper backup (us anglers eh!)

Anyone know if the Digitals round up or round down to the nearest mark ? .

Hi Philip,I use Electro Samson digital scales

Hi Alan, the Samsons that weigh in 8drams divisons...what do they weigh up to ? ...I notice there is a couple of different versions weighing up to 99kg but its not clear what the divisons are ....reason I ask is because .I carry a few different sets of scales that weigh up to different amounts in different increments for different types of fishing...the idea of being able to replace all of them with 1 set that does it all is appealing..

I have two sets of these:

Cheap, cheerful and very small. But they have an excellent battery life and they are incredibly accurate (I have tested them against known weights). I personally wouldn't bother with anything else.

One word of warning....I did buy a pair of these myself some time ago ...never used them in anger but they were accurate in a few tests I did. ..however I left them in the car on a hot day and they packed up never to work again.

Last edited:

Reaction score
Ah,the risks of electronics eh Philip,trouble is it gets unbelievably hot in a car,especially when it's half empty,packed to the gunnels they would be cooler,especially under everything...

davebhoy

Reaction score
I’ve bought three sets of the cheap ones direct from China and two were very accurate and the other was a long way out.

I ended up also buying the Korums which are very accurate but seem a little bit flimsy for the money.

Steve Arnold

Reaction score
One word of warning....I did buy a pair of these myself some time ago ...never used them in anger but they were accurate in a few tests I did. ..however I left them in the car on a hot day and they packed up never to work again.

Since moving to France we have had several occasions when the daytime temperature has been 40c+.

Anything left in the car will experience temperatures over 50c. So far it has cost me one GPS, two pairs of glasses with crazed lenses (one set were Oakley!). Plastic bottles of water will taste disgusting after a day in a hot car!

Don't leave anything in the car in summer - even your fishing rods!

john step

Reaction score
Since moving to France we have had several occasions when the daytime temperature has been 40c+.

Anything left in the car will experience temperatures over 50c. So far it has cost me one GPS, two pairs of glasses with crazed lenses (one set were Oakley!). Plastic bottles of water will taste disgusting after a day in a hot car!

Don't leave anything in the car in summer - even your fishing rods!

Further to this weather theme. I am convinced freezing temps knacker batteries as well. A couple of times whilst piking the camera has gone into red low battery mode when it was OK at home. Once the camera was put into an inside coat pocket it registered in the green again.
I am sure this will happen to digi scales batteries?

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I've never had battery problems with my digital scales....but then I dont go out in sub zero temps and I always carry spare batteries. I change the batteries every couple of years whether they need changing or not. The first digitals I had were Korums which were fine for a year then wouldn't turn on/off ( cue the bin) and I used to have a pair of those cheapo luggage scales till they started giving ridiculously innaccurate readings even with new batteries ( cuethe bin again). I then stopped messing about and got another set of Newsomes so I now have a set of digitals in each of my 3 main bags ( 2 x Newsomes + RH 9000) and I have 100% confidence in all of them.

I also have a good old dinner plate dial scale in my carp bag and a set of crusty old Avons in the shed....and they'll be staying there as I never could work out how to read them properly and they fit in no pocket on any bag I have ever owned. Worst design ever imo....I do not understand why some people still get all misty eyed about the bloody things.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Thanks lads, very helpul..trouble is I like the sound of all of them ! ...I can see me ending up with 2 pairs..a primary and cheaper backup (us anglers eh!)

Anyone know if the Digitals round up or round down to the nearest mark ? .

Hi Alan, the Samsons that weigh in 8drams divisons...what do they weigh up to ? ...I notice there is a couple of different versions weighing up to 99kg but its not clear what the divisons are ....reason I ask is because .I carry a few different sets of scales that weigh up to different amounts in different increments for different types of fishing...the idea of being able to replace all of them with 1 set that does it all is appealing..

c43d6e9656825eb88c3ea5240f827d73.jpg

The scales actually show 1/2 oz measurements which equate to 8 drams any measurement over the 1/2 oz rounds up to the next whole number any below the 1/2 oz rounds down.
03c5955653aebfae8b17729ebe289251.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keith M

Reaction score
Skip I’ve used Avon dial scales since the mid 70s and never had any problems in fitting them into pockets on any of my tackle bags.
Plus they are fairly easy to read and quite accurate, plus there’s no batteries to worry about.

My first ones lasted me for 32 years before they needed replacing and my newer ones are still going strong.
Unfortunately they are no longer sold so if I’m still around when they eventually need replacing and I can’t get hold of any I’ll reluctantly have to start using digitals.

The wife bought me some fox digital rover scales but didn’t trust them after reading lots of peoples bad reviews of digital scales weighing wrongly because of low batteries and low temperatures, and I gave them to my son.
I also bought some Rueben heaton dial scales of a similar design as the Avon’s but they were nowhere near as robust as the Avon dial scales.

Yes the Avon dial scales are a bit bigger than the Rueben dial scales but not that much bigger and my Avon scales fit snugly into pockets on all of my different fishing bags; and in the back pocket of my roving waistcoat.

Each to their own of course but I just don’t trust digitals because of all the negative views I’ve read over the years of them playing up, of course they may wrong, I hope so, but I don’t know, so I’m a bit wary of digitals.

Keith

Last edited:

Philip

Reaction score
c43d6e9656825eb88c3ea5240f827d73.jpg

The scales actually show 1/2 oz measurements which equate to 8 drams any measurement over the 1/2 oz rounds up to the next whole number any below the 1/2 oz rounds down.
03c5955653aebfae8b17729ebe289251.jpg

Ray thank you, appreciated. I suspected thats how they would round up / down. It would have actually helped me on a few occasions...one example being a Roach I posted on the HDYGO thread that i weighed on a set of weighmasters spring scales that measure in 8 drams ...the neeedle was right on but not quite flush with 2lb so I rounded down. The digitals I am sure would have rounded up :cry::)......not thats it reallymatters but its good to know.

I do like the look of those Samsons ...any chance you could take a photo next to something for scale ? ...my only concern is the size...I know they are supposed to be quite hefty..

Philip

Reaction score
I’ve used Avon dial scales since the mid 70s

My first ones lasted me for 32 years before they needed replacing and my newer ones are still going strong.
Unfortunately they are no longer sold so if I’m still around when they eventually need replacing and I can’t get hold of any I’ll reluctantly have to start using digitals.

Each to their own of course but I just don’t trust digitals.

Keith

This is pretty much exactly the position I find myself in. I currently have 3 sets of spring scales....one being a set of Avons that must be knocking on 30 years old. However all are showing signs of being worse for wear and really need replacing hence why I am looking at the digitals. I also have concerns about them hence why I reach out to the guys on the forum for trusted advice so I make the right choice.

One thing that may be of interest to you Keith and perhaps some others...I am certain there was a thread on FM a few years ago (quite a few !) about a maintenance service for Avon spring scales ...you sent them off and they basically restored them for you...i think it cost something between £15 & £20 but everyone who had used it was very happy with the service. I cant find the thread but its sure to still be on here somewhere & perhaps the service is still going.

Reaction score
They are big,come in a strong high denier nylon carry case,I would think around 10" long, more than 4" wide probably 5", the scales themselves are not that wide but the plastic bar fits in a seperate pocket in said case...good scales, certainly not compact as Ray says....

S-Kippy

Reaction score
To the Avon fans on here.....good for you, useful door stops imo but that’s all. The scales equivalent of a Mitchell 300 imo....the world has moved on since these arrived and made Little Samson’s look cheesy.
And where is the evidence to support this urban myth about Digital scales not being accurate ? I check mine regularly and they are as bang on as I need them to be. Perhaps it was started by the same bloke who reckons Acolytes break ?

Keith M

Reaction score
To the Avon fans on here.....good for you, useful door stops imo but that’s all. The scales equivalent of a Mitchell 300 imo....the world has moved on since these arrived and made Little Samson’s look cheesy.
And where is the evidence to support this urban myth about Digital scales not being accurate ? I check mine regularly and they are as bang on as I need them to be. Perhaps it was started by the same bloke who reckons Acolytes break ?

Sounds like you got out of bed on the wrong side this morning Skip :)

I don’t need to check my Avon’s regularly like you said you do with your scales Skip, plus I don’t need to worry about any batteries going flat either ;):)
Don’t get upset Skip life’s far too short for that; it’s only a personal preference :giggle:

Keith

Last edited:

steve2

Reaction score
I always used Avon scales and never had a problem they gave up after 20 plus years. Then switched to Reuben Heaton flyweight scale never had a problem with them till I stood on them. I bought another set and checked them against my cheap digital scale and they both gave more or less the same reading.
If you always use the same scales to weigh your fish does it matter if they are an ounce or 2 out and anyway why do we bother weigh fish?

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Keith

I’m not upset. If you’re happy with your ancient Avon’s I’m pleased for you and what I think counts for diddly. I really dont get this “ digital scales are inaccurate” thing though or people moaning that the batteries go flat. They will eventually so carry spares....it’s not hard.

Reaction score
I change my batteries annually,knowing that they are not anywhere near going flat,one battery per annum is a small price to pay,also,if you do not check the accuracy of sprung scales you should,they can definitely lose accuracy,that is why when records are claimed scales are checked by weights and measures,it was the reason I changed to digital scales,one set was two ounces out on a 2lb weight,not acceptable when I fished for 2lb roach,I will never claim a record even if I was lucky enough to catch one,but I want to know my weights are as accurate as I can make them,nothing has infinite lifespan or accuracy,weighing 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 or more bags of sugar,or flour is as good as it gets as a check,or get to a testing station...

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Ray thank you, appreciated. I suspected thats how they would round up / down. It would have actually helped me on a few occasions...one example being a Roach I posted on the HDYGO thread that i weighed on a set of weighmasters spring scales that measure in 8 drams ...the neeedle was right on but not quite flush with 2lb so I rounded down. The digitals I am sure would have rounded up :cry::)......not thats it reallymatters but its good to know.

I do like the look of those Samsons ...any chance you could take a photo next to something for scale ? ...my only concern is the size...I know they are supposed to be quite hefty..

b8837fdaa0d1906c16a862dd16a6e990.jpg

They are a little longer than Avon’s and probably slightly narrower. I bought these after Graham Marsden recommended them and they have always worked faultlessly. They are used in many of the Pro Bass tournaments in the USA, so that is probably why they are idiot proof.

Philip

Reaction score
Great stuff again fellas really appreciate the feedback. Especially big thanks to Ray for the photo...they dont look as big as I was expecting.

I do like the look of the Samsons with perhaps Skippys cheaper newsomes as a backup.

One more question about the Samsons..are you able to toggle between either KG/grams and Pounds/ounces on the same unit ? ...or do you need to be specifc on which you want when you buy it ? ...its not too clear on the marketing blurb on the web sites..

Also whats a reasonable price for them ...I am seeing some vasty different costs on line and I dont want to just plump for the cheapest in case its a scam.

Thanks !

Last edited:

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Honestly....the Newsomes may not look much but they are brilliant. I got a set on the basis of the guys on one of the Barbel forums some years back who were raving about them. I'm not easily impressed as you may have noticed but I went back for another set when I temporarily misplaced my originals.

Super compact too but good build quality,not flimsy in any way.

IMG_2393.jpg

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
The Brecknell Electro Samsons are excellent scales. Since I first encountered them, I've had a hankering for a set. However, they're just a smidge too bulky and a smidge too pricey for my liking. Perhaps when one of my sets of RH9000s gives up the ghost I'll give them a whirl.