Which digital scales ?

Philip

Reaction score
When I see anglers cupping scales I wince. Always suspend by the loop or hook at the top.

Same when I see someone hanging their scales outside their bivvy or Brolly all night. All I can think of is all the wet & dirt getting into them and messing them up.

Reaction score
I agree,my scales are always packed away until needed,it only takes seconds to get them out and as the sling has to be wetted and zeroed,you would need to prepare anyway...

Philip

Reaction score
Hello all, as previously mentioned i have purchased the Newsomes (but dont have them yet) and am about to purchase for xmas the salter samson scales that Ray / Whitty have ..i dont need more socks!

I was hoping someone could clarify one point about the tare function on them for me...

I appreciate that i can zero the scales to the weigh sling with the tare function.

However.. am i able to zero the scales with the sling on them and then remove the sling from the scales and the scales will hold/remember the sling weight ?

So basically like winding back a pair of mechanical spring scales to zero.on the sling before weighing the fish so the reading after is the fishes weight. Not the fish + sling that i then need to deduct.

Thanks !

Last edited:

Reaction score
I think the Newsomes have a timer which turns them off,thus losing the weigh sling zero,that said as I rarely use scales,purely because I need either big fish,or specific reasons for weighing,nice fish,or just out of interest....so ive used the Newsomes three times I believe...

Philip

Reaction score
So I finally got my new toy…a month late but better than never as they say. I took the advice of the forum and went for the Samsons. (I also am awaiting some Newsomes). The Samsons are quite sizeable as was expected but certainly no worse than lugging say a pair of Avons around.

Samsons are all about accuracy so I gave them a test with the two 1kg weights. Now just to forewarn you in advance this is intended as some general feedback / info for the anoraks out there who might be interested otherwise it risks boring you to tears :)...

Scales.jpg

First off the scales correctly registered each weight at exactly 1kg when weighed independently so all fine and good there....

1KG.jpg

I then switched the scales to pounds & ounces & each 1kg weight registered as 2lb 3oz ...now 1KG = 35.27 ounces so its worth noting the scales appear to be rounding down to the nearest 8 dram (half ounce) divison even when past the half way point between two weights...

2lb3oz.jpg

I then weighted both 1kg weights together and the scales correctly indicated 2Kg exactly..

2KG.jpg

However when I switched to pounds and ounces the scales read 4lb 6 and a half ounces for the two 1kg weights combined. Again, this was excellent news as 1kg = 35.27 ounces. So 2kg = 70.54 ounces…so clearly the Samsons were accurate enough to note the 8 dram (half ounce) divison as claimed - demonstrated by the fact that the 2 weights combined were enought to take them past the 8dram divison between 70 & 71 ounces.

4lb6oz.jpg

So all in all I am happy, my one niggle is that the scales didn’t appear to round up when past the half way point between 2 divisions this being indicated by the fact that 1KG (35.27 ounces) is rounded down to 2lb 3oz rather than up to 2lb 3 and a half ounces but as I always prefer to round down anway this is fine for me.

To properly test accuracy, I would need to repeat the tests through a much greater range of weights (they weigh up to 55lb in 8 drams) but based on this first impression I am quite happy with what I see. The other bit of luck is they fit perfectly into a rigid spod case I just picked up in a sale, which should protect then nicely.(y)...

20210122_224751.jpg

Last edited:

vsaqwer

Reaction score
I will suggest you purchase a digital scale. It's much more accurate than other types of weighing scales. So if you plan to start going to the gym to lose weight, this should be your go-to option. I have been using a digital scale for quite a while. And to be honest, I am very satisfied with it. So mate, you can browse the internet and look for a digital scale. Many online marketplaces are selling these types of scales, so you should definitely be able to find something suitable.

chevin4

Reaction score
I don't think you can go far wrong with Reuben Heaton digital scales. Around 12 years ago I purchased the 7000 digital scale. I was looking for something a little lighter and more compact for river fishing and purchased the sports scale model which for the last 5 years has done sterling service. Unfortunately I trod on these a few weeks ago so today went to Johnson Ross and brought another set.

Philip

Reaction score
Seeing as this thread has been reincarnated I thought it was an opportune moment to give an update on the Electro Samsons.

I re-tested them today with the same 1KG weights that I tested them with back in January 2021.

Over that time period the batteries have not been changed and the scales have been used a number of times on the bank and also have been sitting in my car boot through the winter so this would be a good indication of battery life versus scale accuracy.

The excellent news is that 1 year 3 months later the scales are still reading absolutely spot on. Of course this is just across the 1 to 2KG range but it’s a very good indication of how reliable these scales are and how good their battery life is.

I will probably change the batteries now anyway just to be sure but it does seem you can get a good years life out of them with confidence. Very good scales indeed..I just wish they made them smaller !

scales1.jpg

scales2.jpg