which fluorocarbon hooklength.

B

binka

Flouro is the one line variation that has really caught my imagination, I won't say I'm not sceptical about some of the claims though.

I use the same mono for trotting when I need a floating line as I do stillwater waggler fishing where I need to sink the line, I also (usually) use the same mono when I'm tip fishing so I'm certainly no line tart.

I've also used braid and returned to mono but my gut feeling is that I've had better results with flouro, in the situations where I feel I've needed it, despite the trade offs with diameter and stiffness.

I totally buy into the conditions over the rig theory to a certain degree but the flouro thing is just my own experience and I can't ignore that.

mickb

Reaction score
It's whatever gives you confidence binka. If fluoro fills you with confidence when fishing for barbel then use it. Coated braid would do the same when it comes to abrasion resistance. If anyone feels that the natural movement that braid might give to the hookbait then use braid. It's just that I've never really seen a difference in my catch rate over a period of time. I've been out this evening. Lots of colour in the river. Just used mono hooklength and had 3 barbel on in 3 casts. Landed 2, 1 Got me in a snag. My own fault that one. Conditions were perfect for barbel. The hooklength wouldn't of mattered whether it was braid, mono or fluoro. Only difference is mono is so much cheaper than the other two.

B

binka

I'll still only use flouro where I feel there's a need, which is probably less than 20% of my barbelling which in turn represents a similar proportion of my overall fishing.

Otherwise it's as many say with strong, robust and reliable being the name of the game and Ultima Power Steel being my cheap n' cheerful preference.

dicky123

Reaction score
Steve/Guys.

I just think it's in our minds.

In the lighter strains, fluorocarbon does not sink faster that some mono. I've used it for my trout fishing for years as at times I've felt it's clearness would help. But in lighter strains like 3/5 it does not sink any better. It's not as thin as some nylons for the given breaking strains. You have to tie knots with more care.

What I do like however is. It does not degrade so I can use it the next season. It seems to resist damage better than copolymer nylons.

If I had to give it up I doubt I'd miss it, but while it's available I'll pay extra and use it.:confused:

mickb

Reaction score
I once witnessed a carp angler fishing for carp on a bright sunny day. He was floater fishing with chum mixers. He caught carp after carp that day. This water gets fished for carp pretty much 365 days a year so it was a pressured water. His hooklength was either 10 or 12lb maxima. It must of stuck out like a sore thumb on a cloudless day but it didnt stop the carp taking his bait. I sometimes think that fluoro might be effective for some people because of the stiff maybe anti eject nature of the material rather than the near invisibility. For barbel different types of hooklengths have never made a difference to my catch rate. Other species might be different. I can't comment on other species.

thecrow

Reaction score
I just think it's in our minds.

And imo that's all that matters, we all have or should have our own views on angling things some are learnt from experiences some are from recommendation from trusted friends e.t.c. however they are formed if an angler is catching fish on the waters he fishes he is confident and will fish al the better for it.

mikench

Reaction score
I have never seen his incognito stuff until today ;)

However there is some available on the bay in 5lb bs if anyone is interested!:)