Which model of Abu Garcia closed face reel

Twiddler

Reaction score
Hello,
could somebody tell me what the model number is on the Abu closed face reels that is right handed (ie) you use your right hand ro reel, please.

Cheers, and thanks for looking.

silvers

Reaction score
Original 508 is right handed ... but examples will be at least 40 years old.
still good reels if in good nick

mikench

Reaction score
I have a new ( ish ) 507 and its handle is ambidextrous. I also have an original 501 which hasn't. I bought the 507 new about 3 years ago . There is a new 506 model but I think it's left hand only. Those are the only new models made.

Twiddler

Reaction score
Hi Mike,
would you have any pictures as I was told they don’t do an ambidextrous version.

cheers.

mikench

Reaction score
I forgot to mention the

Abu Garcia Abumatic 276i Spincast which is also ambidextrous.​

mikench

Reaction score
Definitely ambidextrous.

afd36013454119e659a0376defeed521.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikench

Reaction score
Very easy and pleasant but they feel flimsy. I had trout and grayling on the 501 and skimmers, roach Rudd and small carp on the 507. I cannot say how they will deal with a big fish but then they are not designed for that. I use mine on windy days and when I'm after roach and Rudd and wouldn't be without them. I bought the 501 of a pal and its mint and I got the 507 new when it was on Offer. The latter is quite heavy i.e. 390g or thereabouts. They are very different to fs reels.

trotter2

Reaction score
You need to look for a Abu 508 that's the best closed face reel for a right hand wind. Not as expensive to purchase as a 507 so good news. Finding a decent one may be difficult but keep looking on eBay they turn up.

john step

Reaction score
Cheers Mike,
what are they actually like to use. This is a novice asking.
They are not all round reels. Great for light line fishing with a float. I use mine with lines 2 or 3 pond b,s.
They are best with about 80 turns on the handle to spool line so no bedding in. The pick up mechanism is a pin not a roller therefore I would not think they would be suitable for the constant pressure if one were thinking of using it on a commercial fishery where many carp, even small ones were expected.
For a novice I would recommend something like a budget end Daiwa size 30 or 40 with 2 spools to allow a variety of line strength.

Reaction score
For a novice float angler a closed face reel is pretty easy to use,not ideal for carp bashing on a commercial however...

Twiddler

Reaction score
I certainly won’t be using it on a commercial, and regarding the term “novice” I meant with a closed face reel, especially my local commercial which is Partridge !!

Reaction score
No inference to your angling ability at all,more in answer to post #13 which mentioned 'novice',and more in respect to possible easy function...

peytr

Reaction score
I have two old ABU 506s in good shape and after using them for some time I'm not convinced but keep using them all the same.

They are not for big fish (lack of power and smooth drag). Besides, the bedding in and the slow retrieve speed is a bit of a problem. I once had the problem of the spool coming loose (in a match, now there's a trauma) but this might be just me, also being a 'closed face novice'.

I cannot find what it brings to the table, apart from opening the 'bail' and taking up slack without using the left hand. Not a priority since I gave up smoking years ago. Even when trotting there's nothing I cannot do with my other reels. Closed face reels where very popular years ago, fishing for zander in deep water with live bait under a float. Taking up slack was the USP back then as well.

However, they look stylish on a float rod:). That might be the reason why I use them. Just like I'm fond of the old ABU's and Mitchells on a glass rod, when spinning for pike. With a decent Ondex spinner and Nylon all the way. Not neccesarily the best but most certainly feeling classy:cool:.

Reaction score
Older Abu closed face reels need modifying to allow backwinding,the only efficient way to play fish on these reels...