Which pole? Drennan or MAP??

trick02

Reaction score
Hello all, another bit of advice needed. Looking to purchase my first pole. ( only used whips before) don't have a great deal to spend and so have whittled it down to the Drennan red range 11m or MAP TKS 101 13m. Both are around the same price. The Drennan comes with more accessories but the MAP is longer. Any advise before I bite the bullet? Thanks in advance, Trick.

arthur2sheds

Reaction score
Go and ask to have a feel of them at length.... I have the Drennan Red Range 11mt and tbh it's usable at 11mts but it's heavy and a bit bouncy... I can't comment on the MAP, but as a budget pole, at 13mts it'll probably be the same as the Drennan at full length... (a bit bouncy and heavy) so it's down to personal choice....

I will say that the Drennan top 2's are cheap as chips at £30 a pop and come with a roller bung and dacron connectors to work in conjunction with the side pullers... all you need to add is the elastic... (you only need to cut the tips back if you use a hollow 20 elastic too, otherwise you can leave them as is)

I have a pole, cupping kit, and 4 top 2's and the lot cost £300...

hope this helps... good luck

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I notice neither of these poles includes a cupping kit..a vital accessory in my opinion...if you do convert one of the power tops to a cup kit make sure it's the same length as your other topkit(s) once cut back.

arthur2sheds

Reaction score
The Drennan comes with a set of cups so you can use the spare top as a cupping kit... it has a pair of push on adapters so you can use one at the stock length of the top 2 or the spare for a shorter length should you need to cut a top 2 down for the size 20..

(the Drennan blurb recommends cutting the tip back 15-18cm for use with a size 20 hollow (which I did...) and the cupping adapter fits this nicely should you want to use a cut back top two as a second cupping kit)

I just have the stock top two (uncut) as a cupping kit

My elastics are a 6-10 yellow hollow, 12-16 red hollow (x2) and a 20 hollow