Which Umbrella? (Xmas gift to my father in law - I have no idea about fishing!)

milkyc2020

Reaction score
Hi, my father in law wants a new fishing umbrella for xmas. I don't think he's too fussed what but I have a budget of £50

What do you recommend please? I have no idea!

These stand out so far.....

Thanks all!

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello.

Before you invest then you need to ask a few questions of your G-i-L, things like:

does your F-i-L use a trolley?
does he fish rivers or commercial lakes.
does his fishing involve long walks?
does he fish the pole a lot or mostly rods?
does he fish overnight sessions?

The key to those is the weight of the brolly as typically the heavier the brolly the better the stability and protection he will get.

Secondly, if he uses a pole a lot then you will need ot get a flat back brolly that has zipped or detachable ends to feed the pole back through.

Good luck and I hope he is pleased with his present.

milkyc2020

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply.

He has a trolley, lakes only, doesn't walk far, and mostly rods!

mikench

Reaction score
Curiously I weighed my two brollys only the other day . One is a Michigan 75 inch which I bought from Amazon when I first started out . It cost around £15. I have since waterproofed it but really only use it as a parasol in the summer( it’s perfect for that) and when rain but not wind is expected. For the money it’s very good and is now 5 years old. It does not have sides. It weighs 3k which isn’t that bad.

I also have a Preston Multi brolly which is 50” and much better quality for wild and windy weather so long as the wind is behind you. All brollys are useless if facing the wind. It weighs about the same with pegs.

The sizing is apparently the distance from the tip of one spoke up and over the top to the tip of the corresponding spoke on the other side. Thus a shallow brolly may be less than a deeper one. Nufish do one which only weighs 2k, retains heat and allows UV light through. Both of my brollys had spikes which were useless in hard ground and have been replaced by a solid aluminium spike by Gardner. A must imo.

Maver, Drennan, Fox, and others all sell similar. If weight isn’t an issue then stronger and heavier is best. Of my two the Michigan is best directly overhead and the Preston when pegged down. I hate fishing under a brolly and it’s use is a last resort. A poncho is a good idea to compliment a brolly . If a typical peg is tight then a 50 » maybe impractical so better to have a 45 » . I’d have 2 to suit different venues but then I fish different venues. NGT make brollys but I’ve never seen one but their gear is good quality for the price in my experience.

john step

Reaction score
Have a look at KORUM brollies. They do a lighter one with side panels and fibre glass ribs. Any 50 inch brolly by the big names are OK.
If you dont think he needs side panels just make sure that an ordinary brolly has pegging points on the down side. Saves going boating when the wind gets up!

A problem you may find at the moment with furlough/lockdown a large number of people re discovering fishing and there are stock issues.
If you have a tackle shop nearby it may be worth ringing for advice. The large one in Hull is Angling Direct. They may be trading on a click and collect basis??
Beware of cheap and nasties on the ebay.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I use a Preston innovations 50" flatback with fibreglass arms. It's a good brolly ,but outside your budget. My other brolly is a 50" Daiwa mission, another good lightweight brolly, I pole pole fish as well as use rods, I only it as a flat back if raining hard behind me and float fishing,
As for zips in back panels, I have seen a few give up the ghost,

INearlyCaughtOne

Reaction score
I hate umbrellas. In fact, I am considering switching my fishing umbrella for an oversized handheld so I can put it down when casting out and reeling in.

john step

Reaction score
Personally, I never go fishing without one. Whether its for rain or wind or sun protection its a must have piece of tackle.

john step

Reaction score
I dont know how you manage that. Sometimes here in sub tropical Lincs the weather can go from sun to rain and back again in very short time!

mikench

Reaction score
I always have a brolly with me Pete , in fact, I keep 2 in my mobile tackle shop( car) just in case. If it's raining at point of departure and if the forecast is poor, like today, I don't go. I rarely catch anything worthwhile when it rains and whilst I'm not too concerned about getting wet and have waterproofs, it's my gear getting wet which irritates. Having once gone back to the car to get a brolly leaving my maggot tub open, I vowed never again. 1 pint of maggots got everywhere and I was finding them for weeks. Don't mention pinkies!!!!??

Zyvis

Reaction score
Advanta Hermit - Angling Direct
Best day fishing design, and value, in the Country IMO - solid materials and build, stable with sides, plenty of ribs touching the ground, and storm caps fitted
also big enough to bedchair under occassionally overnight