Whick lakes for a beginner?

mfcgadge

Reaction score
Travelling to Thirsk on Friday and looking to go to either The Oaks or Woodlands. As a fairly recent convert to fishing is there a better lake for a beginner at either of these venues? Been to The Oaks a couple of times with a little success fishing Inline Method and Pole. Not after monsters just yet and would prefer to catch smaller and often to improve my skills. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Gadge....

djmazz

Reaction score
The first lake you come to at woodlands was always a moral builder. Could catch on a bare hook and I have but I don't know if its still the same. Been a few year since I fished either venue. You could go a little further north to renny lake in east harsley. All three ponds can be good sport although the small back one seems to have a lot of hungry silver fish in. I prefer the largest pond of the three. Both pole and feeder methods are productive. There isn't many big ones but they come in very close towards the evening and I find using a pole right at your feel often separates the big from the small fish. Not sure what they will be like at the moment though after all the rain. Renny might be one big pond lol

laguna

Reaction score
Fished the Oaks a couple of times last season, once during the day and caught well but on the night session on another lake was pestered to death with Ronnie and Reg :eek:

Never fished the woodlands mate.

grandsonz2

Reaction score
Travelling to Thirsk on Friday and looking to go to either The Oaks or Woodlands. As a fairly recent convert to fishing is there a better lake for a beginner at either of these venues? Been to The Oaks a couple of times with a little success fishing Inline Method and Pole. Not after monsters just yet and would prefer to catch smaller and often to improve my skills. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Gadge....
if you go to woodlands as you go up the lane there is ponds on the right if you fish the pond to the right of the tackle shop it is the first in a series of 3 all with islands and gaps if you can fish a bomb or feeder
almost touching the island you will get big carp,cheers dave

craig1970

Reaction score
fished woodlands lakes for a long time first one on the right willogarth some decent carp in there i used double sweetcorn hairigged with a cage feeder full of groundbait,cockphesant not bad either carp, tench,barbel,float fish pellet with baitbands fished there when i lived in england 30min drive to thirsk,hope this helps cheers craig.