Who'll be out on a river next week?

Aknib

Reaction score
Yep...

The glorious 16th will soon be upon us once again.

Will anyone be out on the rivers next Tuesday for opening day or will you avoid the rush and bide your time?

It's not a decision for me as we have two big events at work on Tuesday & Wednesday but I dare bet the weekend will see me beside running water even if the Barbel will be elusive for the first couple of weeks but I've got that one covered with a week off early July time.

Will you be there or maybe you're an observer of the traditional closed season and you'll be out on a Tench lake somewhere?

tommos16

Reaction score
I’m going to go River fishing for the first time, on a small club section of the Ribble. No idea what it contains but I’ll have a maggot feeder out and a ground bait feeder out. Very excited for it! How about yourself?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Depending on the weather, I will be on the Thames at Sandford, Not fishing it, walking the banks and seeing how people are fishing it, either float or feeder, I have never fished it before, the nearest type of river to this I fished was the Weaver in the North West.

tommos16

Reaction score
Wigan District I’m in mate, have two sections on the Douglas and two on the Ribble. Not sure they’re fished too often but it’ll be nice to have a go

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

barbelboi

Reaction score
I'll be out soon after as the the streams and river over the fields are only fished by the two of us...............plenty of fish spotting over the last couple of months so I should be well prepared for the short sessions I prefer.

Paste paul

Reaction score
I’d like to !
My aim is to visit the Trent at some point but it won’t be just yet

ian g

Reaction score
I'm off for 2 weeks as our company asked that we took half our leave in the first half of the year . I'll be on the Severn a few times I'm sure;)

silvers

Reaction score
In best Churchill voice (the dog, not the politician) ... “oh yes!”

warks Avon for me, I’ve got an itch to fish a slider and catch some bream, ... so will be going above the weir in 13ft of water rather than the barbel and chub bit below.
there is an enormous shoal of bream there (well over 200 fish) but they are hardly ever caught.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Nope, I have to work sometime and this year beggars can't be choosers. I'm keener to get back after the syndicate tench while they are still obliging. Besides, I don't generally do particularly well early season on my local rivers, there's no rush.

steve2

Reaction score
If my membership comes before the opening day I will be on a small stream with a lure rod after chub. I know I won't see anyone else, there are only a few who ever fish it.

Reaction score
In best Churchill voice (the dog, not the politician) ... “oh yes!”

warks Avon for me, I’ve got an itch to fish a slider and catch some bream, ... so will be going above the weir in 13ft of water rather than the barbel and chub bit below.
there is an enormous shoal of bream there (well over 200 fish) but they are hardly ever caught.

they will probably remain so Alex,fishing is notoriously iffy at this time,especially on the deeper stretches,but its still good to be on them.
i plan to be out,but have a feeling I may be turning straight round when I see a packed car park,the lockdown has meant lots of anglers out and the rivers will probably get their share next week,sadly...

GT56

Reaction score
Yes, and thankfully I'm starting to get a little excited. I just hope it's the last pointless close season we have to endure.

Reaction score
No,it wont be sadly,if the EA run a referendum type vote to gauge opinion,then ignore the result then the close season will remain...

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I am waiting until the 22nd possibly, depending on health and death rate, what a thing to say, what times we live in. I have just bought a new fly rod and reel, I rather like it so might try a bit of that on the river once I get there. I like trying a bit of fly fishing for coarse fish now and then. However, my float rod and float still attached is still sitting in my hallway and I have been looking it for a year every time I go out, might be time to use it again. Fortunately the river I usually fish is not affected by drought being sluice controlled, I imagine it will be clear so a bit of fly fishing may be the ticket not that I can catch on the fly but an interesting way to fish. Other than that I may be tempted by the sea. Spoilt for choice, nice situation to be in.

Bridge

Reaction score
Walton on Thames is going to my first port of call and then the river lea for some chub ! . June 16th...like xmas morning! .?