Who'll be out on a river next week?

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
I'm hoping to fish the Stour next week, not sure where yet and some of the bits I like to fish are far too busy the first week but all being well I want to try more filming in the coming weeks.

davebike

Reaction score
It is my intention to be Upper Medway you never know may get a barbel! First time on a river fro years going to make a wffort this year normaly still waters and the pole

Keith M

Reaction score
I might have a few sessions on some of our clubs more remote Gt Ouse stretches which don’t usually get too much pressure; they all hold some good Barbel and Chub. However I’m not holding my breath as there must be a lot of other members thinking exactly the same.

Keith

steve2

Reaction score
My membership arrived so I now have nearly 3 miles of overgrown small stream fishing to lose myself on. Haven't fished it in nearly 10 years so it will be interesting to see just how much it as changed. Seeing that I haven't fished in over a year it will be good to get out again and possibly report a fish.

Keith M

Reaction score
I’m leaving the more popular stretches of small streams at the moment as they get the usual throng of anglers at the start of the season and I’m concentrating on the more remote sections of streams and river that are well away from any human habitation.

Keith

Reaction score
I’m leaving the more popular stretches of small streams at the moment as they get the usual throng of anglers at the start of the season and I’m concentrating on the more remote sections of streams and river that are well away from any human habitation.

Keith

I know exactly what you mean Keith

flightliner

Reaction score
I have three options, the Trent for either Roach on the stick or Barbel with the cod gear, a visit to my Trent trib for a Barbel or Chub, preferably on the float or lastly a lake where there are reputed to be some sizeable Rudd.

silvers

Reaction score
they will probably remain so Alex,fishing is notoriously iffy at this time,especially on the deeper stretches,but its still good to be on them.
i plan to be out,but have a feeling I may be turning straight round when I see a packed car park,the lockdown has meant lots of anglers out and the rivers will probably get their share next week,sadly...
I know Alan ... and I‘m pretty average on bream anyway. i’ve fished a couple of “first weekend” matches up there in recent years and failed to break 2 pounds. I’m hoping that fading light in the evening will help.
the shoal is monumental ... much bigger than that one below sharnbrook weir in the late 80s. I fished an early july match on that stretch of river on a scorching day ... they were all basking on the surface two pegs below. The angler on that peg had no hair left by the end! There were also over a dozen bigGish river carp cruising amongst them ... up to an estimated 25 pounds. They never come out either !
in terms of busy, most of the non match anglers join the club for the barbel fishing below the weir, so I expect to have best choice of 50 pegs!

JONM14

Reaction score
Going straight from work on Tuesday, hoping to get a peg at Arley on the Severn. I fish a stick float mainly so will go light and have a walk and find a few pegs if my favourites are taken.

mikench

Reaction score
Probably not but nothing has been decided. It will be nice to have the option though.

Reaction score
I know Alan ... and I‘m pretty average on bream anyway. i’ve fished a couple of “first weekend” matches up there in recent years and failed to break 2 pounds. I’m hoping that fading light in the evening will help.
the shoal is monumental ... much bigger than that one below sharnbrook weir in the late 80s. I fished an early july match on that stretch of river on a scorching day ... they were all basking on the surface two pegs below. The angler on that peg had no hair left by the end! There were also over a dozen bigGish river carp cruising amongst them ... up to an estimated 25 pounds. They never come out either !
in terms of busy, most of the non match anglers join the club for the barbel fishing below the weir, so I expect to have best choice of 50 pegs!

On the Ouse at Bedford i've fished for bream and caught no more than eight,ever,the shoal there is colossal,at least 300 fish,they sit ten yards long,at least 35/40yds wide,around a foot apart,plus fish below the top layer,these are fish to 9lbs,biggest i've had is 6,i've seen this shoal four or five times in hot weather,sunning themselves,why they don't get their heads down sometime I do not know....

LukeM

Reaction score
Very much looking forward to the Glorious 16th. Managed to book 4 days off work and plan to fish a few stretches of the middle Dorset Stour near Blandford.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Keith M

Reaction score
On the Ouse at Bedford i've fished for bream and caught no more than eight,ever,the shoal there is colossal,at least 300 fish,they sit ten yards long,at least 35/40yds wide,around a foot apart,plus fish below the top layer,these are fish to 9lbs,biggest i've had is 6,i've seen this shoal four or five times in hot weather,sunning themselves,why they don't get their heads down sometime I do not know....

So on the Gt Ouse even the otters don’t like snotties then :giggle:

Only kidding :)

Keith

Reaction score
Bloody good job,else there'd be nothing left in the river...lol

xenon

Reaction score
yep, will be on my usual stamping ground of the Colne above Staines-cheesepaste or prawns for chub.

silvers

Reaction score
Similar story and size of fish Alan ... just think how big the shoals must be when they catch 200 pounds! Best weight i know of on this stretch is seven fish for 44 pounds.

i wonder how many are in pit 2 at sharnbrook. My best on there (about ten years ago) was 10 fish for over 100 pounds.

Reaction score
Wouldn't know Alex,I lost interest when the pits became clear and full of weed,making fishing the distance the bream wanted to be at impossible....and also Vauxhall decided match fishing was Tingrith ,so left the Ouse at the Radwell complex to grow over,with fewer fishable swims,clubs amaze me how they survive,when I was a committee member countless years ago you hear how so many strange ideas get pushed through by people that don't really understand fishing,odd why they opt for committee work really...

peterjg

Reaction score
Tuesday, at long last the river season begins. I shall start on the Thames then later in the week fish the Kennet, can't wait. Sixty years of fishing since a young boy and I am still as enthusiastic!

Sean89

Reaction score
Gunna grab some mags and corn and have a go on the embankment in bedford, not expecting anything much but can’t wait to get down there! I’ve recently purchased a permit to fish the marina also so may go there the following day and fish the feeder on either worm or corn and try pick out some slabs or even a bonus tench! Fingers crossed.

Reaction score
Gunna grab some mags and corn and have a go on the embankment in bedford, not expecting anything much but can’t wait to get down there! I’ve recently purchased a permit to fish the marina also so may go there the following day and fish the feeder on either worm or corn and try pick out some slabs or even a bonus tench! Fingers crossed.

Do you mean Priory Lake Sean,didn't know you could bet a ticket for the marina itself,if you mean the lake I was watching and feeding tench,bream and carp in the margins whilst waiting for my car to be mot'd and serviced...