Who'll be out on a river next week?

Sean89

Reaction score
Yeah aspects is where the cinema is mate. The spot is opposite the boating lake side there’s a bay where you can park 2 cars and the disabled spot is infront and I fished to the left of that. Regards to the bream I was shocked, I’ve had skimmers there before but these were full of snots. Went to the same spot again today no tincas but plenty of lovely Roach averaging around 8-12oz all on corn. All the roach were in superb condition and it’s great fishing with the some cheap corn and hemp

Reaction score
Amazing,the nearest shoal to that normally live by what was Russell cafe,in the bay between the island and the bridge and that wasn't like the big shoals further upstream,you will have to send their exact location to barbelboi and KeithM,that would be enjoyable to watch lol......

Sean89

Reaction score
When I used to fish years ago there was always a shoal opposite the swan hotel rear garden and you could fish the feeder from the other side Where the grass is, very weedy there atm though but defo one to try

Last edited:

Reaction score
Th at shoal moves between the town bridge and the end of the parapets on the embankment side,which corresponds with the length of deep water,up to 14ft,shouldnt think its weedy in the middle below the boathouse...

Sean89

Reaction score
14ft lol it was less then half of that where I caught them ? out of curiosity do you happen to know any tench spots along that stretch?

Attachments

• 7DFAE0E7-68B3-41A7-9C16-45B73CB7988E.jpeg
    7DFAE0E7-68B3-41A7-9C16-45B73CB7988E.jpeg
    505.3 KB · Views: 93

Reaction score
Tench have become like hens teeth on the river at Bedford,not so long ago there were good numbers,have they gone,do otters have a liking for them,cos there are plenty of them....

Sean89

Reaction score
Fished opposite Albero lounge yesterday had 2 bream one after another on the feeder. Didn’t manage to get into a showl but had plenty nice Roach again. Will be going to that spot near Russell Park again tomorrow so will take some pics to show you the location.

Reaction score
Is the Albero lounge the old Russell cafe,these new fangled names confus my old brain lol...

Aknib

Reaction score
Well…

I eventually managed to fulfil my intention for a first day on the river yesterday but it was by no means a cert.

Having just finished twelve straight days at work which saw starts as early as 3.30am and up to eleven hour shifts, whilst hosting the largest golfing event the country has seen since the easing of lockdown with two hundred going out, followed by a regional alliance day immediately after, I elected not to call by the tackle shop for bait on the way home from work on Friday, such was my tiredness.

Saturday morning and yep, up at 4am with the bloody body clock!

Not to worry, I spent the morning mooching around and doing the odd job before wandering into the garage without any real intent, more a case of boredom if anything. A quick glance at the time revealed it was midday and I causally began to pace around, picking up a reel here, looking at a box of floats there and taking out a rod just to give it a waggle.

I was kind of gradually talking myself into it and an inquisitive glance into the bait drawer revealed, amongst other things, a tin of meat and some 14mm halibut pellets.

Before long the reel had been attached to the Avon rod and I was threading line, a heavy Avon float was rigged up to carry hair rigged baits and I was back in the kitchen pronto to make some sarnies, before I knew it I was enjoying a pleasant conversation with Kev during the drive over there and I was on the riverbank by early afternoon.

The Barbel are typically late starters in these parts but a couple of feet of extra water gave me hope and I set about trundling a slider Avon through tight to the nearside bank in around eight feet of water (I needed the slider as a fixed float caused issues under a low canopy of trees) and before long I was into my first Barbel of the season.

Safely netted and kindly photographed for me by a passer-by and it wasn’t long before I was in again.

Without going into the details I continued on until dusk, taking seven Barbel and two Chub but I will say that overshotting the float in order that I had to 'hold it up' and therefore slow it down as it went through seemed to be the way they wanted it.

The Chub were around three and three and a half pounds apiece, the Barbel ranged from a small fish around three pounds to two upper singles and four doubles, the best of which went 11-14 (would have made 12 if an otter hadn't had part of his tail for breakfast!) and 11-8 with the last of them coming not long before 9pm to complete my own version of A Midsummer Night’s Dream.

Quite fitting on the longest day of the year and certainly the best opening session I’ve had…

opb1.JPG

opb2.JPG

opb3.JPG

opb4.JPG

opb5.JPG

Reaction score
Christ,went through there two weeks ago as well,lol...

Reaction score
Do you know Sean,I am not scared of covid as many are,but I haven't even thought of fishing at Bedford on the free water,why,because of the amount of people bumbling along there,when I have club waters where I might see ten anglers in total,who in the main stay their distance through angling protocol,odd isn't...

silvers

Reaction score
Alan,

we had a Black Horse reunion further upriver at Sherington yesterday ... well not exactly but Myles won the match, and I was 4th on next peg to Bassy. there was even a lesser spotted Rob Hewison! He‘s lost a lot of weight and looks much better for it.

it’s certainly a good spot for cuckoos ... don’t hear many these days but it was 7 hours non stop yesterday ... and had about fifteen fly pasts in front of me.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Well…

I eventually managed to fulfil my intention for a first day on the river yesterday but it was by no means a cert.

Having just finished twelve straight days at work which saw starts as early as 3.30am and up to eleven hour shifts, whilst hosting the largest golfing event the country has seen since the easing of lockdown with two hundred going out, followed by a regional alliance day immediately after, I elected not to call by the tackle shop for bait on the way home from work on Friday, such was my tiredness.

Saturday morning and yep, up at 4am with the bloody body clock!

Not to worry, I spent the morning mooching around and doing the odd job before wandering into the garage without any real intent, more a case of boredom if anything. A quick glance at the time revealed it was midday and I causally began to pace around, picking up a reel here, looking at a box of floats there and taking out a rod just to give it a waggle.

I was kind of gradually talking myself into it and an inquisitive glance into the bait drawer revealed, amongst other things, a tin of meat and some 14mm halibut pellets.

Before long the reel had been attached to the Avon rod and I was threading line, a heavy Avon float was rigged up to carry hair rigged baits and I was back in the kitchen pronto to make some sarnies, before I knew it I was enjoying a pleasant conversation with Kev during the drive over there and I was on the riverbank by early afternoon.

The Barbel are typically late starters in these parts but a couple of feet of extra water gave me hope and I set about trundling a slider Avon through tight to the nearside bank in around eight feet of water (I needed the slider as a fixed float caused issues under a low canopy of trees) and before long I was into my first Barbel of the season.

Safely netted and kindly photographed for me by a passer-by and it wasn’t long before I was in again.

Without going into the details I continued on until dusk, taking seven Barbel and two Chub but I will say that overshotting the float in order that I had to 'hold it up' and therefore slow it down as it went through seemed to be the way they wanted it.

The Chub were around three and three and a half pounds apiece, the Barbel ranged from a small fish around three pounds to two upper singles and four doubles, the best of which went 11-14 (would have made 12 if an otter hadn't had part of his tail for breakfast!) and 11-8 with the last of them coming not long before 9pm to complete my own version of A Midsummer Night’s Dream.

Quite fitting on the longest day of the year and certainly the best opening session I’ve had…

View attachment 9499

View attachment 9500

View attachment 9501

View attachment 9502

View attachment 9503

Nice session Ste, those bottom two fish look like bananas lol.

I'm still building up enthusiasum to go for a proper trotting session.
I got a new MTB (it's a beaut) so fishing is on the back boiler really :).
This weeks heat wave which is forecast to top 30 degrees isn't giving me inspiration!
If I can go pick some maggots up tomorrow I may have a dabble then or maybe wednesday....we'll see.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
What's an MTB Ian and do I need one? ;)

When I was a lad it was Motor Torpedo Boat.

It's a mountain bike Mike, it's a plus size (that's 27 inches by 3 inch tyres) Santa cruz chameleon, 12 speed, dropper post etc, super mtb :).

Better than fishing gear...maybe...?