Who'll be out on a river next week?

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I am an ex Royal Navy man and I was thinking exactly the same thing as Mike. :unsure:

Keith

MTB, just short for mountain bike Keith. I love riding a push bike, you can go a lot further than you might think.
I went to blackpool which is a comparitively short rode of 44 miles from our house. Anyhow we got to the tower in 2hrs 7mins which is quite quick on a off road push bike with nobbly tyres. We got back in about the same time so 88 miles in 4 1/4 hrs :).
You could cut that down a fair bit if riding a propper road bike, although we blew all the roadies off when we came up to any which must have surprised em :).

Hugh Bailey

Reaction score
MTB, just short for mountain bike Keith. I love riding a push bike, you can go a lot further than you might think.
I went to blackpool which is a comparitively short rode of 44 miles from our house. Anyhow we got to the tower in 2hrs 7mins which is quite quick on a off road push bike with nobbly tyres. We got back in about the same time so 88 miles in 4 1/4 hrs :).
You could cut that down a fair bit if riding a propper road bike, although we blew all the roadies off when we came up to any which must have surprised em :).
Blimey - I thought we were doing Ok averaging 23kph on hybrids on the road. Is it pretty flat?

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Blimey - I thought we were doing Ok averaging 23kph on hybrids on the road. Is it pretty flat?

There are a few long drawn out hills but only a couple of steep ones near home.
I like riding the plus bike as you have to work hard to roll. We have a lot of good hills round here and we used to do all of them in one ride, one has a short patch of 34%.
I haven't rode for a while now due to injuries from cars hitting me so will need to get fitness back before doing any distances.
We rode over to the rake at ramsbottom to see how steep it is. It was a decent ride there of 30 miles and then the hill which is steep, it even has a hand rail for pedestrians. We got up the hil quite easily but it was fun.
I think they have several races/ time trials up it every year.
Most of them take their bikes in a car (wimps) we rode there and flew up it lol....

Last edited:

Hugh Bailey

Reaction score
That’s a really good effort. We have the north downs which are pretty steep but Ramsbottom is a big hill. We are picking up road bikes next week but doubt we will get Up to that speed.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
That’s a really good effort. We have the north downs which are pretty steep but Ramsbottom is a big hill. We are picking up road bikes next week but doubt we will get Up to that speed.

Pity your so far away, we could have done some riding.

Sean89

Reaction score
Amazing,the nearest shoal to that normally live by what was Russell cafe,in the bay between the island and the bridge and that wasn't like the big shoals further upstream,you will have to send their exact location to barbelboi and KeithM,that would be enjoyable to watch lol......
Had these the other side of the town bridge today, last week my dad has bream up to 6lb near the aspects bit and people have been catching carp on corn up to 18lb madness ?

Attachments

• A34A78CA-7E28-468A-AA3A-F9AE35CF4D5F.jpeg
    A34A78CA-7E28-468A-AA3A-F9AE35CF4D5F.jpeg
    686.8 KB · Views: 103

Reaction score
I had a walk down the river today with the family,saw a guy fishing the pole,his dad just downstream,the lad on the pole said he had two bream,lost four I believe,that was nearly opposite the memorial between the lock and the bridge near Russel cafe....

Sean89

Reaction score
I had a walk down the river today with the family,saw a guy fishing the pole,his dad just downstream,the lad on the pole said he had two bream,lost four I believe,that was nearly opposite the memorial between the lock and the bridge near Russel cafe....
Plenty anglers down there atm it’s great to see. I think my dad was fishing near the disabled spot up near aspects today also

Reaction score
How would he have been fishing it Sean,there was a guy on a whip in the disabled peg,seat box,next swim downstream there was a younger guy 25/30 yrs old on a float rod,below the trees there was a guy and an older fella with a volvo estate and a van parked behind them,only anglers that end....going tomorrow and give it a go for a change,if I can I'm going to fish g.bait,corn and a few pellets on the pole...

Sean89

Reaction score
How would he have been fishing it Sean,there was a guy on a whip in the disabled peg,seat box,next swim downstream there was a younger guy 25/30 yrs old on a float rod,below the trees there was a guy and an older fella with a volvo estate and a van parked behind them,only anglers that end....going tomorrow and give it a go for a change,if I can I'm going to fish g.bait,corn and a few pellets on the pole...
Probs him on the whip fishing hemp and tares

Sean89

Reaction score
I’ve tried groundbait with no success on that stretch just fished waggler with corn and loose fed hemp. Last week on the feeder had pellets and hemp in groundbait and had success but that was past the town bridge. Where are you looking to fish?

Reaction score
Thinking of fishing just down from the lock,that way if I need a pee,the path is far enough away,the trees are handy too in that regard,probably catch nothing,but.....

Keith M

Reaction score
I haven't been on the river so far this season although I had a wander along the Felmersham stretch down by the islands on the Great Ouse and it looked very tempting.

The long and short walks on the upper Lea are probably still packed even during the week so a little exploring of the Gt Ouse at one of the clubs stretches looks favourite trying to find some good under water features and I'll probably be on a river again for the first time this season on Monday or Tuesday.

Keith

Sean89

Reaction score
Thinking of fishing just down from the lock,that way if I need a pee,the path is far enough away,the trees are handy too in that regard,probably catch nothing,but.....
Been a few carp caught between that disabled spot and the boating lake cafe. I was browsing YouTube last week and found a video of a guy getting snapped up by a big carp on that stretch of the river lol it was wierd as I’ve never seen anyone filming whilst fishing down there I believe the channel is named ‘easy fishing’. Let us know how you get on mate, I’m back at work now so it’s gunna be hard for me to get down there! ?

Reaction score
Knowing how my season has gone so far,I will choose a!l the wrong options and catch little,but I will try my level best. :)

Reaction score
I haven't been on the river so far this season although I had a wander along the Felmersham stretch down by the islands on the Great Ouse and it looked very tempting.

The long and short walks on the upper Lea are probably still packed even during the week so a little exploring of the Gt Ouse at one of the clubs stretches looks favourite trying to find some good under water features and I'll probably be on a river again for the first time this season on Monday or Tuesday.

Keith

To be honest Keith,the club has had an upsurge in membership,probably down to covid,I could tell you some tales of what i've seen on the short walk,fish care wise,but I wont because anyone can read these posts,I don't think it will quieten down for quite some time,unless everyone goes back to work tomorrow...

davebhoy

Reaction score
Whitty, Keith M, have either of you tried the stretches of the Ivel the club has access to - no Barbel but very quiet and plenty of chub, so I’ve heard?

Keith M

Reaction score
I did have a wander along the Ivel around Sandy in beds during the closed season but the water was extremely low when I went and it didn’t look that promising then although I know it does hold some nice fish. I need to explore it a bit more closely when the levels are a bit more normal and hopefully with someone who knows a little more about it before I start fishing it properly.

Keith