Why Aren't There More Women in Angling?

Wombat

Reaction score
What can I say boys ! your escape from the wife/girlfriend and jobs round the house made me laugh.

I have had a few times especially in Winter togged up in my fishing gear when someone asked "how is it fishing mate?" and then when I reply as to what I have caught, the guy always goes into apologetic mode and says "I did not realise it was a woman fishing!"

I also have great fun when people ask for the secretary of the fishing club and I say its me, then they say "I wanted to know about the fishing is there someone else I can talk too?" ask away I say I have been fishing since I was five.

i can cope with the lack of facilities but I have to draw the line at night fishing and when the rats appear! Then a man comes in handy ....

I would much rather be out fishing than doing the housework or shopping and the shopping i enjoy is down my local angling centre.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
i can cope with the lack of facilities but I have to draw the line at night fishing and when the rats appear! Then a man comes in handy ....

But not this man, I fri*gin hate rats myself. Only this week in the angling papers was there a story about a matchman who caught Weil's disease from them.

As far as women anglers are concerned, my cousin Denise Hudgell has won the ladies championship a few times and regularly has had many wins on the open circuit and can more that hold her own in any company. The funny thing is I have never fished with or against her.................... I know when I am beat.

My mother was a tiny woman (under Five feet tall) when I started sea fishing she would accompany my father and I, she frequently caught Conger eels that were longer than her and she often had the best fish of the day.

As Janet said the most off putting factor for most women is the lack of facilities.

I fished a lake in Belgium where the open urinal faced the tow path of local canal at chest height, the bank walkers often used to wave to you when they walked past not realising what you were waving back with!!!

Wombat

Reaction score

sorry to distress you but we have had to put it up by a £1 but we have two new rivers for this year, the Severn near Welshpool and River Tern in Shropshire.

i love fishing and the club is where i was born so its nice to be able to put something back into society.

preston96

Reaction score
i can cope with the lack of facilities but I have to draw the line at night fishing and when the rats appear! Then a man comes in handy ....QUOTE

Rats! i hate em, i night fish loads, i know all the noises of the night and the sound of a rat in with me is the worst!

Nah, you dont need a man at all Wombat! ;)