Why Aren't There More Women in Angling?

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Women! Don't you just love 'em hahaha! That is a funny article Paul, very true but funny. Don't expect a Christmas card off the few ladies that we have on Fishingmagic, they are lovely one and all but lets face it, they are women at the end of the day.:w

Maggie

Reaction score
Women! Don't you just love 'em hahaha!. Don't expect a Christmas card off the few ladies that we have on Fishingmagic, they are lovely one and all but lets face it, they are women at the end of the day.:w

A picture of Claudias first Barbel (a double) or her huge Carp would have been a better picture to include. (or Mrs. Ballantines record Salmon)
Our Club Tench Record (11lb plus) is held by a woman so considering that your generous estimate of 5% of anglers are women; we don't do that bad do we?

If the truth be known I think that a lot of men probably feel a bit embarrased if their wives catch more than them <<smiley thingy>>.

Great article, very funny

Last edited:
Reaction score
I hadn't read this until I returned from the Port and Stilton Club function on Damflask. It, was as ever, a pleasure to talk to her Ladyship (Lady Mortlock). I now understand why Lord Paul was last seen jogging in the torrential downpour behind the family Rolls. And to think Spiders and I were impressed by his dedication to fitness after eating all the pies. Her ladyship won't let you off this one m'lud...its the gardening for the next four months for you!!! (And the dog house for sleeping accomodation)

Poshers

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
I really enjoyed reading that made me laugh quite considerably.

My wife is considerably better at fishing than i am ......... and it doesn't bother me one single bit, she lugs all the tackle to the swim, she sets it all up, she doesn't mind handling maggots, (waits for sarcastic replies) catches more fish than me, drives me home, cooks my dinner, washes my clothes, washes the dishes, does the ironing, put's the clothes away, looks after our son and does all the shopping, pays all the bills, and she's even forced to sleep with me......... Like i'm ever going to start beating her at fishing when she comes with me ............ :j

Last edited:

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
Posher

After Damflask it was deemed that my fishing clothes needed washing - all that home made camo gear (mud, slime, pork por fat staind on my green trousers gone)

So last night after cleaning my rods down and finishing the left over half bottle of port that some in my tackle bag I put the clothes in for a wash - not sure when I'll see them again

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
I have taken my wife on a few fishing trips and I must admit she made an excellent job of carrying my tackle and the sandwiches tasted so much better, as did the tea when they were brought right to the point of fishing. Maybe there is a place for women in our sport after all :wh

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
My wife 'pretended' to be interested in fishing until she caught me. I'm glad she stopped though because she consistently caught the bigger fish with a 100lb sturgeon, a 72lb catfish and a 23lb carp being her first of those species. Scared the life out of me. I evened the score a bit by insisting that our wedding vows were changed to 'never try to stop me going fishing' and took her on honeymoon to a catfish lake for a week. That'll learn 'er!:D

Claudia Crowther

Reaction score
OMG I have been away for a while due to illness and look what happened to FM....ok this will take me a while to get use too.

As to 'women fishing'.....well, I do agree with Paul up to a certain point. A lot of men use their fishing to get away from their wifes/girlfriends to have some peace and quiet. Also true that most women don't like the feel of wiggly maggots and slimey smelly fish or needing to pee in the bushes lol

However, I know a few female anglers, like our Wendi Spiller, Maggie to name a few and trust me, these ladies can put you guys to shame.
I have come across more and more female anglers in the past few years but maybe it's a sport still very much claimed by the male species for whatever reason.....but watch out guys, we are on the move ;-)

dezza

Reaction score
The human race are hunter/gatherers.

Men do the hunting, they go fishing. Women do the gathering, they go shopping.

Seriously, my late wife was quite correct when she was questioned as to why more women didn't go fishing.

She said that a lot of women would, if they were equipped with the same apparatus that men have when it comes to having a wee wee!

Whoever designed women wasn't very intelligent on that score.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
Whilst the piece was obviously an attempt at humour and a gently poking of fun at women I do think that there is a certain "Men only" attitude shown by some, in the "fishing is my time away from the wife and I don't want her with me reminding me of the decorating that needs doing"

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Whilst the piece was obviously an attempt at humour and a gently poking of fun at women I do think that there is a certain "Men only" attitude shown by some, in the "fishing is my time away from the wife and I don't want her with me reminding me of the decorating that needs doing"

Don't push m'Lud.
:D
I think you've got away with it so far.

Reaction score
Oi, you're on holiday.....if you ain't gone away...why wasn't you there????

Wait til you see the write up...and some of the photos....thrill to the impact of port on an already tired Spiders!!

AND....it was the second bottle!!!

slime monster

Reaction score
Ejoyable read M'Lud ,NOW here is why I will do everthing to avoid taking my missus fishing again 1 it has to be at least 80 in the shade
2 after walking three times around the venue to find a suitable place to situate her and 20 mins setting up the question is asked....how long are we staying?
...not too long love "you said that ten minutes ago"