Why carbon rods for LRF?

Reaction score
I cant get my head round this one,a light actioned solid glass rod surely would be more than sensative enough for lrf,a lot cheaper too and less delicate???

Philip

Reaction score
Sorry to be dumb...whats LRF ? ...Light river fishing ? Lure rod fishing ?

Glass is certainly more robust as a rod material compared to carbon thats for sure.

Last edited:

steve2

Reaction score
LRF light rock fishing. Originally used for small fish fishing by the sea.
So a solid glass rod would be possible and not much heavier than carbon and would take knocks better than carbon.

Reaction score
Yes Philip light rock fishing as Steve says,if I did this as one of my main sorts of fishing I might consider it,but as it's a holiday,fun thing it's less important,I feel the bites,catch some odd,pretty looking fish on a Shakespeare red solid glass six footer and a 500 size reel,as Steve also says because its short it doesn't weigh much....

valetudoguy

Reaction score
I honestly think you are onto something, it's probably because carbon is marketable and most of the Chinese factories are set up for it.

I would be all over a sub £15 5.5-6ft solid glass rod with a nice light to ultra light action, I would stock up and just let my kids abuse them.

I know in the USA they have a rod called the dock demon and they are cheap as chips, but I aren't sure what the action is like.

Reaction score
I have a liittle Shakespeare bright red spinning rod,i've had bass to a few pounds and would love to get a decent one,the tip is soft enough to feel most knocks from very small blennies,gobies etc and it gets pushed into the corners of the car when I load up for the holiday,along with two other glass rods for my wife and youngest son,I bought mine at Weymouth for mackerel fishing....