Why do people have to fish for carp at night?

L

Laurie Hutchison

Hi Kit,
What baits have you had your carp on? I have took mine mostly on pepparami meat and soft hook pellet as boiles are banned at my local lake.

Cheers

Please Reply

A

Andrew Miller

I fished a lake reqularly after work and you can guarenteen that an hour before it get really dark the fish go mental! One evening I watch several anglers packed up and after half an hour went round and the carp was literally wallowing in the shallow.I only had a floating crust set up but putting on a piece of heavy bread paste and dropping it in the shallow had me 4 low double one after the other. Brilliant fishing! What amazed me was when i was fighting the carp it was clear enough to see that as my carp was ziz zagging all over the place a couple of other carps, was more or less, shoulder to shoulder keeping up with it, only disappearing when the carp come over the net. Is this normal behavour?

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

In South Africa, the vast majority of big carp myself and a few friends caught were taken at night. Normally between 12 and 3 in the morning.

Daytime fishing was often a complete waste of time. But this is a country with a very bright sun and heat in the daytime.

And very little twilight. It would be bright sunlight and then dark in less than 20 minutes.

T

The Monk

Mainly nocturnal feeding, it prefers waters that are holding dense vegetation and muddy bottoms. Can be found all over a lake scanning the area for food.

G

Grant Lever

carp,like the vast majority of wildlife are crepuscular,feeding for longer periods depending on needs and availabilty of food.

T

The Monk

carp are classified as noturnal feeders although like many feed throughout the crepuscular periods, mind you so do many diurnal species, so it could be a little confusing. Basically they adapt dependant on environmental conditions

captain carrott

Reaction score
holding dense vegetation and muddy bottoms.

so does that mean if i take my trousers off and slide down the bank into the lake i'll catch more carp.

T

The Monk

so does that mean if i take my trousers off and slide down the bank into the lake i'll catch more carp.

You`d certainly catch something Mr Carrott, or at least on the waters I fish anyway you would probably make a few new friends too!