Why not have lure fishing at Farmoor reservoir?

Krang

Reaction score
You’re not into googling then?

“Fishing lures have been around since antiquity and were first made out of bone and bronze. The Chinese and Egyptians used fishing rods, hooks, and lines as early as 2,000 B.C.E. The first hooks were made out bronze and were strong and thin. The Chinese were the first to make fishing line, spun from fine silk. The modern fishing lure was made commercially in the United States in the early 1900s by the firm of Heddon and Pflueger in Michigan. Before this time most fishing lures were made by individual craftsman. Commercial-made lures were based on the same ideas used by individual craftsmen but on a larger scale”

Source?....

Aknib

Reaction score
I reckon if you walked about with lures you'd meet plenty of other lure anglers. I certainly do. Every so often I'll walk past a bivvy too, or a row of people I always assume are match anglers. But lure angling is by far the newest of the methods. Hence I say its growing quickly.

Many of the customers at Farmoor had taken to casting out and then setting the rod down in the manner of bait fishermen. The result? New rule tat rod must be held at all times. Banning half your customers because their fly fishing isnt pure enough hardly seems like "supporting regular, reliable income" to me. More like some bizarre cult throwing out non believers.

Believe me I do my fair share of roving on the river (which is thriving with Pike, Perch, Zander and Chub) and I just don't meet, as a general rule and accepting a handful over the years, lure anglers.

This whole lure thing to me is a bit of a fad, I went into it at one time especially when the dropshotting thing was all the rage and I've abandoned it both on the basis of disappointing results and I didn't really enjoy the method.

Having been in business for a considerable time throughout my life the one thing I can vouch for is that you look after and protect your regular income streams, which ties in with the earlier fad comment.

I guess, without a crystal ball, nobody knows but swapping uncertainty for certainty is never a good thing in financial terms.

Are there not other waters that you could fish and leave Farmoor to do what they are entitled to?

Maybe it's better to look for a viable alternative than trying to change the world and upset the present status quo, it's often that way for a reason.

Krang

Reaction score
Believe me I do my fair share of roving on the river (which is thriving with Pike, Perch, Zander and Chub) and I just don't meet, as a general rule and accepting a handful over the years, lure anglers.

This whole lure thing to me is a bit of a fad, I went into it at one time especially when the dropshotting thing was all the rage and I've abandoned it both on the basis of disappointing results and I didn't really enjoy the method.

Having been in business for a considerable time throughout my life the one thing I can vouch for is that you look after and protect your regular income streams, which ties in with the earlier fad comment.

I guess, without a crystal ball, nobody knows but swapping uncertainty for certainty is never a good thing in financial terms.

Are there not other waters that you could fish and leave Farmoor to do what they are entitled to?

Maybe it's better to look for a viable alternative than trying to change the world and upset the present status quo, it's often that way for a reason.

Farmoor is the only rainbow trout I can regularly get to.

The status quo exists because hundreds of years ago some toffs decided to keep all the trout for themselves.

I mostly fish hard lures. Dropshotting is massively over rated IMO. Useful for fishing vertically but that's about all.

Last edited:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Trebles, if removed properly put less stress on a fish's mouth because they spread the force over more than one point. Only one of the reservoirs at Farmoor is catch and release anyway so the mantra about treble hooks is no justification.
I understand your point about spreading the pressure although the total pressure is still the same but I cannot see how three puncture wounds is no different to one puncture wound or pulling out what is in effect pulling three hooks out no worse than pulling one hook out. If I was in a fight I would rather be stabbed once than three times! Maybe you have a different understanding of it than me but surely a treble is likely to cause more damage even accounting for the fact it may move around less, any advantage in that would be superseded by the greater damage caused by the extra number of wounds, or would it?

Last edited:

Krang

Reaction score
I’ve fished Farmoor for years. There is no possible way that I could ever be described as or mistaken for a toff.....as those on here who know me will confirm.

Fine. But your behavior is maintaining the elitist course/game dichotomy that toffs started.

Why should we accept that our fishing is "coarse" and doesn't include fish that the wealthy prefer?

Krang

Reaction score
I understand your point about spreading the pressure although the total pressure is still the same but I cannot see how three puncture wounds is no different to one puncture wound or pulling out what is in effect pulling three hooks out no worse than pulling one hook out. If I was in a fight I would rather be stabbed once than three times! Maybe you have a different understanding of it than me but surely a treble is likely to cause more damage even accounting for the fact it may move around less, any advantage in that would be superseded by the greater number of wounds, or would it?

But if you were going to be pulled around by hooks I bet you'd rather be pulled around by three than one. Getting hooked is dissimilar to being stabbed as with being stabbed the puncture it's self does serious damage. Getting hooked is more like a piercing or a jab.

I think people abandoning trebles is part of the problem. People aren't going to stop using them as they are standard on lures, some of which are carefully tuned to run correct out of the box. On most spinners you can't even change them.

It would be better if people learned to unhook them without damage rather than switching to singles because then they could teach others and it would become the norm.

Lures with trebles are less likely to deep hook a fish. They're pretty hard to swallow without hooking the mouth.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
“On most spinners you can’t even change them”

He makes it up as he goes along!

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I think people abandoning trebles is part of the problem. People aren't going to stop using them as they are standard on lures, do of which are carefully tuned to runBut if you were going to be pulled around by hooks I bet you'd rather be pulled around by three than one. Getting hooked is dissimilar to being stabbed as with being stabbed the puncture it's self does serious damage. Getting hooked is more like a piercing or a jab.
I don't buy that, I think your clutching at straws; piercing, jab whatever it makes no difference, pulled or not pulled, knife or hooks. Its still potentially three times as much damage and probably is most of the time.

Last edited:

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Fine. But your behavior is maintaining the elitist course/game dichotomy that toffs started.

Why should we accept that our fishing is "coarse" and doesn't include fish that the wealthy prefer?

That is one of the most narrow minded and bigoted comments Ive ever seen on here. I’m glad Farmoor doesn’t allow spinning as it means I’m unlikely ever to meet you there.

I’ve wasted far too much time on this nonsense. I’m off to tie some flies and count my wealth

Krang

Reaction score
I don't buy that, piercing, jab whatever it makes no difference, pulled or not pulled, knife or hooks. Its still potentially three times as much damage and probably is most of the time.

Hooking a fish makes a tiny hole it its mouth. Surely the closest human thing is a lip piercing? Stabbings generally damage major organs. Deep hooking is more likely to do that and lures with trebles make that extremely unlikely to happen.

Last edited:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Hooking a fish makes a tiny hole it its mouth. Surely the closest human thing I a lip piercing? Stabbings generally damage major organs. Deep hooking is more likely to do that and lures with trebles make that extremely unlikely to happen.

Trebles can go deep or shallow so can single hooks and they can go back, side or front, I have had both types of hooks all ways; we have no control how a fish takes a lure. Your still clutching at straws in my opinion. 3 damage is more than 1 damage whatever way you spin it.

Last edited:

Krang

Reaction score
Trebles can go deep or shallow so can single hooks and they can go back, side or front, I have had both types of hooks all ways; we have no control how a fish takes a lure. Your still clutching at straws in my opinion. 3 damage is more than 1 damage whatever way you spin it.

The damaged caused by the peircing its self is negligible compared to the potential damaged caused by ripping out the hook. Speeding the pressure between three points reduces the chances of that.

Common sense should tell you that swallowing this:

original_floater_11_rapala_lures_f11_s_hero.jpg

Without getting hooked in the mouth is more difficult than swallowing this:

5519_3.jpg

Or this:

corn-in-combination-with-worm-768x427.jpg

John Keane

Reaction score
Why is everyone arguing with the troll? Lure fishing isn’t allowed on Farmoor so balls to him!