Why not have lure fishing at Farmoor reservoir?

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Occasional angler/krank, are you just another incarnation of Wiedo?

Krang

Reaction score
This thread seems to have gone a bit off topic..

There's no downside to having lure fishing at Farmoor. It wouldn't negatively affect the fly fishers provided sensible rules were in place and enforced. Given how zealous they are when it comes to the existing rules that shouldn't be too much of a problem.

It would increase the income of the fishery both by increasing the number of people fishing and meaning they could start profiting from selling lures. This would result in more money to invest in and improve the fishery to the benefit of everybody.

chrissh

Reaction score
As far as I'm aware no Mepps spinners come with split rings attached.

I guess you could cut the hook. But most people won't be prepared to go to all the trouble and expense of ordering split rings etc in order to use a 99p spinner from the local tackle shop. So the use of trebles will continue and so its better to just teach people how to remove them without hurting the fish as per my original point.

If removed properly trebles are safer to the fishes mouth because they can spread the stress across more than one point. Lures with treble hooks also make gut hooking pretty much impossible because they can't be swallowed without hooking the mouth.

Do your homework like the rest of us do all you statement have been shot down?
There more of us in this group that have forgotten more about all types of fishing then your ever know
Your worst then a woman that has to have the last word

http://[url=https://postimages.org/] [/URL]

Krang

Reaction score
Doesn't prove they came like that. I know for a fact the Mepps Aglia doesn't have split rings as standard.

12028.1.jpg

Also none of this actually addresses my point. Which is that as so many lures come with trebles they will continue to be used and so people should learn how to unhook them safely.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
No I'm not. I'm not occasional angler either. And its Krang not Krank.

Ok, you'll have to forgive me i' m dyslexic, really.

Regarding the meps ( they, ondex and blue fox are my favourites) you cut the treble off at it's ring, then simply add a split ring or a clip of one kind or another in the appropriate size.

Last edited:

Krang

Reaction score
Ok, you'll have to forgive me i' m dyslexic, really.

Regarding the meps ( they, ondex and blue fox are my favourites) you cut the treble off at it's ring, then simply add a split ring or a clip of one kind or another in the appropriate size.

OK. I can see that would work. But most people aren't going to go to all that trouble to modify a 99p spinner from the local tackle shop.

Also many lures are designed and tuned to run with trebles.

People will continue to use them. If unhooked properly they don't cause damage and have advantages over singles for fish safety. Therefore the best thing we can do is teach people how to unhook them rather than wagging our fingers at people for using them.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
The owners/managers of a venue know their market far better than anyone else.

That said, the only way that they are successful is when the marketplace supports their decisions and it seems that Farmoor have got it right in making it a fly only water.

It is really pointless making petty comments against "fluff chuckers" or indeed emloying the "elite" card, as we have heard it all before, and to no avail.

All anglers have preferrences and in the main those are generally catered for very well indeed, but there wll always be isolated cases where someone can point to the one and only hypothetical situation that disproves a general rule . . . . the OP seems to fit that description rather well.

As for using fly instead of bait, well, surely that is based on what one wants from one's fishing?

If I simply wanted trout to eat then I can buy them far cheaper from the supermarket than I can obtain them by investing time and lots of money on fishing for them . . . it is because I get a lot of fun and enjoyment stalking them on the river, matching their natural food to a fly pattern and then casting to particulat spot to catch them.

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
OK. I can see that would work. But most people aren't going to go to all that trouble to modify a 99p spinner from the local tackle shop.

Also many lures are designed and tuned to run with trebles.

People will continue to use them. If unhooked properly they don't cause damage and have advantages over singles for fish safety. Therefore the best thing we can do is teach people how to unhook them rather than wagging our fingers at people for using them.

Forget what most people do, think for yourself. Seriously, you don't need trebles unless your using dead baits. Give it a go, try singles or doubles and see how you get on. I think you'll be surprised :).

Krang

Reaction score
The owners/managers of a venue know their market far better than anyone else.

That said, the only way that they are successful is when the marketplace supports their decisions and it seems that Farmoor have got it right in making it a fly only water.

It is really pointless making petty comments against "fluff chuckers" or indeed emloying the "elite" card, as we have heard it all before, and to no avail.

All anglers have preferrences and in the main those are generally catered for very well indeed, but there wll always be isolated cases where someone can point to the one and only hypothetical situation that disproves a general rule . . . . the OP seems to fit that description rather well.

As for using fly instead of bait, well, surely that is based on what one wants from one's fishing?

If I simply wanted trout to eat then I can buy them far cheaper from the supermarket than I can obtain them by investing time and lots of money on fishing for them . . . it is because I get a lot of fun and enjoyment stalking them on the river, matching their natural food to a fly pattern and then casting to particulat spot to catch them.

I'm saying that for anglers like me the fun is getting a fish on the line. I choose effective lures over ineffective ones to make this happen. The idea of deliberately choosing an ineffective method in order to increase the fun doesn't work for me at all.

I'm curious why fly fishers would take issue with lure anglers fishing away from them on the reservoir? Farmoor is surely big enough? It wouldn't affect their fishing at all and would increase the income of the fishery so that it could be improved for them too. Plus it would mean more people could enjoy themselves there.

Maybe concern that the lure anglers would catch better fish? I've seen how salty fly fishers get when lure or bait anglers catch record trout. Doesn't say much for fly fishers if the only way they can catch the best trout is by stopping anybody else from having a go.

Last edited:

flightliner

Reaction score
I consider myself a multi species angler, in short I enjoy catching most freshwater fish , mostly on seasonal basis, pike- winter, Tench- summer etc if uyou get my drift.
I always enjoy the odd day out fly fishing for trout in what used to be the old close season.
Ladybower, Grafham, Toft Newton, to name a few of my favourite venues.
Why, because they are "fly fishing only waters" which at those times suits me, floats my boat so to speak.
It also suits the owners or others that run these places to make the rules that help to protect the stock from their own weaknesses such as being overly easy to catch by anglers using baits like maggots and worms or god forbid lures and spinners.
Permit those methods and in very short time most of the trout stock would quickly be non existant, Back in the sixties Damflask reservoir nr Sheffield was stocked every year at the start of the old close season with trout , any method was allowed and inside a few short weeks they were all but gone. A truly unsustainable situation given the cost of rearing trout.
So my take on the OP is SORRY but fly only rules are there for both the anglers benefit and the fishes.
As for the OP saying the gentry/ Rich hiving off game fish for themselves--- er-- rubbish!
In the industrial revolution workers were often fed Salmon and trout by their employers as a cheap food source. So much in fact that many workers complained about provision provided.

Last edited:

Krang

Reaction score
I consider myself a multi species angler, in short I enjoy catching most freshwater fish , mostly on seasonal basis, pike- winter, Tench- summer etc if uyou get my drift.
I always enjoy the odd day out fly fishing for trout in what used to be the old close season.
Ladybower, Grafham, Toft Newton, to name a few of my favourite venues.
Why, because they are "fly fishing only waters" which at those times suits me, floats my boat so to speak.
It also suits the owners or others that run these places to make the rules that help to protect the stock from their own weaknesses such as being overly easy to catch by anglers using baits like maggots and worms or god forbid lures and spinners.
Permit those methods and in very short time most of the trout stock would quickly be non existant, Back in the sixties Damflask reservoir nr Sheffield was stocked every year at the start of the old close season with trout , any method was allowed and inside a few short weeks they were all but gone. A truly unsustainable situation given the cost of rearing trout.
So my take on the OP is SORRY but fly only rules are there for both the anglers benefit and the fishes.
As for the OP saying the gentry/ Rich giving off game fish for themselves--- er-- rubbish!
In the industrial revolution workers were often fed Salmon and trout by their employers as a cheap food source. So much in fact that many workers complained about provision provided.

The money from the extra customers would enable more restocking and so also be good for the trout farms raising the fish. They could expand.

Farmoor could sell lures in their shop to make even more money to invest.

Anyway one of the reservoirs at Farmoor is catch and release.

Flyonlyism is just mean spirited elitism and it is a well documented fact that the course/game distinction is rooted in Britain's class system.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
That Farmoor have taken a deliberate decision to not allow lure anglers is due to the market that they understand . . . . personally I'd rather fish a fly only water and have a syndicate membership on the Itchen.

However, post the trout season and for a few months, the venue is open to coarse anglers, but not on the trout beats, but both upstream and downstream of them.

This works reasonably well and neither faction seem to have any problems with the arrangement. The same is true on some stretches of the Test and the Hampshire Avon.

I would think that having the two methods availalbe sumultaneously could affect the fly anglers, as you say yourself, it is far easier to catch trout that way . . . . . so obviously there would be some resentment.

As to the increased revenues well that too is debatable as many fly anglers might well find somewhere else to fish and thereby the income generated coud well be . . . lower.

Krang

Reaction score
That Farmoor have taken a deliberate decision to not allow lure anglers is due to the market that they understand . . . . personally I'd rather fish a fly only water and have a syndicate membership on the Itchen.

However, post the trout season and for a few months, the venue is open to coarse anglers, but not on the trout beats, but both upstream and downstream of them.

This works reasonably well and neither faction seem to have any problems with the arrangement. The same is true on some stretches of the Test and the Hampshire Avon.

I would think that having the two methods availalbe sumultaneously could affect the fly anglers, as you say yourself, it is far easier to catch trout that way . . . . . so obviously there would be some resentment.

As to the increased revenues well that too is debatable as many fly anglers might well find somewhere else to fish and thereby the income generated coud well be . . . lower.

What I'm asking is why you'd prefer to fish at a fly only water if said water has enough space for others? What does others being kept out add to your fishing experience? Must be something significant if you guys would go elsewhere were it to cease being the case.

Other trout fisheries have opened up to other methods and presumably they understand the market too.

nottskev

Reaction score
Were I the owner or manager of a big trout fishery, I wouldn't ban all lure anglers. Just the really irritating ones.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Let me put it this way:

I pay a significant sum of money for my rod on the Itchen and even then it is only for every second Saturday in the season . . .

For my money I get an entire beat to myself, thereby increasing my chances of catching. Add to that the absolute peace and quiet and the freedom to wander the beat at my leisure.

If I want to see or meet people then I can go to the pub' . . . the fact is that I want to be left alone to fish my way.

Now, I could go to a much closer venue (3 minutes in the car from my house) and pay a lot less for my day fishing but on a much more crowded venue . . . . personally I prefer the seclusion and am happy to pay for that.

If other venues have "any method trout fishing" then by all means go to one of those, if that floats your boat.

Krang

Reaction score
Let me put it this way:

I pay a significant sum of money for my rod on the Itchen and even then it is only for every second Saturday in the season . . .

For my money I get an entire beat to myself, thereby increasing my chances of catching. Add to that the absolute peace and quiet and the freedom to wander the beat at my leisure.

If I want to see or meet people then I can go to the pub' . . . the fact is that I want to be left alone to fish my way.

Now, I could go to a much closer venue (3 minutes in the car from my house) and pay a lot less for my day fishing but on a much more crowded venue . . . . personally I prefer the seclusion and am happy to pay for that.

If other venues have "any method trout fishing" then by all means go to one of those, if that floats your boat.

I'm not talking about the river though. And i dont see what the fly only policy has to do with having the river to yourself when your paying for the river to yourself. You wouldn't have the whole of Farmoor to yourself anyway but it is very big so you'd have space to yourself. What difference would it make to you if somebody round the other side was using a lure rather than a fly? Bewl water opened up to other methods precisely because the knew they'd make more money. Fly fishers still go to Bewl.

Last edited: