Winter Barbel Baits

B

BLAM

Any views on what works and what doesn't? Fishmeal based baits(boilies) still seem to be doing the business on my local river -the Medway. However it is definitely getting colder now and I packed up in the first frost I've seen for a while. About this time last year I started moving over to confectionary based baits and they seemed to attract bites well into January but is there any reason to switch just because of the temperature drop?

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
I just use less freebies and up the flavour leakage. Also leave the bait in for longer. Would also adopt a more roving approach to find the fish first. Bait wise i tend to stay on pellets and paste. Never tried the confectionary based baits but might this winter.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

And don't forget maggots.

Excellent on the Trent in winter.

Darren George

Reaction score
Maggots good on the teme too in winter.

I like paste with high levels of flavour in winter. More so for chub but I pick up barbel along the way. Im sure if conditions were more favourable paste would do some serious damage :eek:) Not afraid of a bit of oil either.

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

A good prebaiting campaign with a quality HNV can pay handsomely if your prepared to put the time and effort into it. Try getting in touch with somebody like John Baker if you want to try this route. Be prepared to upset others when your hammering them and they are blanking!!!!!!!!!

B

BLAM

A friend of a friend has been doing this with considerable success this year. He hasn't put shed-loads in (just a few handfuls per swim per week) starting back in June but he rarely blanks when most everyone else is struggling.

I've been thinking this is the route to go myself but do you think it's too late to start now?

C

christian tyroll

blam have you got any tips for the medway, ive had about 5 sessions fishing on there now and all i can catch is chub!
do barbel come out above the ashurst weir if so how often and what sort of size?
anyhelp would be great!

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

Bit late now yes but always next year eh.

fred hall

Reaction score
I usually switch over to maggots on the Ribble as the small fish and the eels have (usually) gone by now.That said I know that last winter most of the regulars stuck successfully to pellets/paste.

Barbel Taliban

Reaction score
The only baits considered halal in any weather is large lumps of Luncheon Meat; Worms, Cheese, Bread & as mentioned by mullah Clay the humble maggot but only in quantities of 5 gallons or more, to use any other bait is considered Haram and will result in your damnation

Pellets & boilies are the work of the great Satan.

Barbel Taliban

Reaction score
Frothey Vhat has that got to do vith any thing? The saceeeed one is not a Jewish or a Mushlim.

B

BLAM

Christian,

My best advice is persevere. If you're hooking chub then you will catch Barbel if you are prepared to wait for them. Some people go years without seeing an upper Medway Boris and quite a few catch a handful a season or less. The biggest problem is that there aren't really that many Barbel in the river in the first place and so the issue is always finding them. The weirpool at Ashurst gets hammered and IMO is not the best place anyway to locate Barbel in November when they prefer slower runs. Fordcombe has them in numbers but not necessarily where people fish for them. If you sit in one of the pools I'm sure you'll catch one or two but they are pressured 24/7 so don't expect wrap around bites.

The latest edition of Coarse Fisherman contains a whole article on the Medway which might help you or otherwise you might try asking on BFW (under River Reports). Unfortunately due to the number of lurkers no one really posts that much info anymore.

F

Frothey

so why is a fundamentalist muslim group forcing their values on good christian barbel? or are you just hoarding the boilies for yourself?

i'm not sure your "kosher", i couldnt find you listed on here

C

christian tyroll

thanks blam,
ive been doing all my fishing at the ashurst weir pool so far, but my club cant fish any further down than the bridge, but can fish upstream of the weir for a mile or so! but i havent heard of any catchs above the weir so i havent rely been sure if its worth fishing!

B

BLAM

Which club? Bromley? RTWAS? Both can fish downstream of the Ashurst road bridge but Bromley only have a hundred yards or so (until just short of the railway bridge over the river). RTWAS goes on for a lot longer downstream than that. Almost to the Natwest weir -upstream of Fordcombe in fact.

B

BLAM

Okies, sorry not a club I'm familiar with. I've not tried above the weir-pool myself so I can't comment. I did hear something about Carp and Roach up there but whether there are any Barbel I couldn't say. Again you might try asking on BFW.

Do stick at it though. They are there but perseverence is a must.

C

christian tyroll

thanks for all the help,
il keep trying, its a nice place to be even when you dont catch fish!