Winter chub fishing

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Goodness gracious I thought Sedge had come back!!

And Brummie!!

J

John Hepworth

Visiting a stretch of river and your footprints in the snow from the previous week are the only ones there. That's what I like about winter chubbing.

J

jason fisher

not in this country you don't the snow only lasts 10 minutes

N

Nigel Moors 2

Liquidised bread - how on earth do you use it? Once liquidised does it have water added or or simply squeeze it into a feeder so it explodes out?

It might seem a dumb question but have never really used it, only bread as hookbait. If using liq. bread then what size of hook and bread would be best?

Started chatting to an old chap on the banks of Tadpole last Saturday and he stated he never trusted lobworms to which I replied I didn't trust liquidised bread simply due to me never having used it properly. He passed on a tip I'd never heard before regarding it though - he adds a teaspoon of sugar as it's being blitzed in the liquidiser to make it sink apparently. Anyone heard of that?

Rooster

Reaction score
What didn't he trust about the lobworms? Just so long as you take their name and address before you start fishing you shouldn't have any problems.

B

Barry Edney

Nigel,

You don't add water to liquidised bread, as you say, just sqeeze it into the feeder as you said. Make sure the bread is nice and fresh. (Unlike mashed bread.) Take a couple of loaves of that cheap sliced bread and cut off the crusts. Then take 3 slices at a time and cut twice length ways and twice width ways so you have 9 pieces. (does that make sense?) Then give theses small pieces a blast in the blender until nice and fluffy crumbs. Repeat with the rest of the loaves. Don't forget to save 3 or 4 slices as hookbait.

Not sure about flavouring, but I would probably try the stuff that comes in spray cans. Richworth do these I think.

Hope this helps, Barry

J

john conway

I use a caged feeder for my liquidies bread and for Chub a size 6 to 8 hook with bread flake. I have sometimes added hemp to my bread flake. When feeder fishing I'm casting evey 10 to 15 mins and over a five hour session the hemp can provide some loose feed over which I can fish pellet and paste later in the session.

N

Nigel Moors 2

Thanks Barry - the old chap I mentioned that I was chatting to said he preferred bread that was about 3 days old. Is that too old in your opinion? I always imagine that a loaf blitzed down in a blender would result in not too much bait. A couple of loaves like you say would amount to how much do you reckon? My missus quite often buys several economy loaves a week and stuffs them in the freezer to feed the little birdies on the lawn. Does thawed out bread blend up ok? Suppose I could try and if it doesn't look to good then I could throw it out as she originally intended.

A

Andy "the Dog" Nellist

I liquidize the whole loaf crusts and all and use decent stuff and then pop the crumbs back in the same bag.

Flavouring liquidised bread is really easy if you freeze it. Take it out of the freezer a few hours before you want to use it, separate the frozen crumb by kneading the bag, add flavour to the bag, give it a good shake and then leave it to absorb the flavour as it thaws.

N

Nigel Moors 2

I fancy giving this a go on my local Windrush for chub and the nicer roach that it also has. I take it smallish cage feeders are best, recast every 10-15mins? Would imagine that a loaf wouldn't last that long though?

J

john conway

Nigel, I add whole hemp.
I also buy economy loaves and put them in the freezer, defrost them in the microwave then liquidise the whole loaf. Anything left after a fishing trip goes back in the freezer and is added to the next batch. Any bits of crust left from the slice I?m using to tare off bits of flake get broken up and added to my bag of liquidised bread. One loaf and three slices of Warbertons, for my flake, generally last a 4-5 hour session on the Ribble.

Stephen Hoyle

Reaction score
Just a quick note to anyone going on the ribble fish-in, i agree with what everyone posts about bread/cheese as baits but if you are travelling any distance make sure you bring 2 pints of bronze maggots.I have been lucky enough to catch 31 fives and 2 sixes all on maggot in the last 3 winters and have found the best method for me has been to fish a small blockend feeder filled with micro pellets/maggots and double maggot as hookbait.There has been days when i have fished a swim for 3 hours not had a sniff and then as soon as the sun goes out of sight i have caught several fish in succesion so i am not convinced that moving pegs regular is the right method on the ribble.Also found the small feeder cast every few minutes works better than a big splodger,wish i could fish the day myself but am workin the night before so good luck to all and hope you enjoy yourselves.

J

john conway

Stephen, I'd go along with that in the winter. The main reason I'd don't use as many maggots and casters, is the simple fact that it's 25 miles to my nearest tackle shop. I'm a fan of hemp and caster but I'll bear in mind the bronze maggots for the Ribble.

It really is a pity you can't order maggots via mail order.

My spreadsheet at work is about 6 months out of date but in my first 18 months on the Ribble I?d 19 fives and 1 six caught on the following: -
8 on Bread Flake
8 on Pellet and Paste
3 on Caster
1 on Crust and cheese paste

I think I?m now up to 29 five but I?ve not had another 6 yet! I?m only guessing but I?m sure most of the other fives will have been on pellet and paste, simply because that?s what I?ve used the most. Not very scientific but like I said, if I could get hold of casters easily then I?m sure they would catch equally as well in clear low water conditions.

B

Bill Eborn

I've never fished it, so I would be interested to find out what those anglers who fish the Windrush think but I'm not sure whether the static liquidised feeder approach is the best chub tactic for a smaller river. Although I understand why it would work on a big river like the Ribble as John's impressive record demonstrates, or the Thames.

Personally I would be inclined to work my upstream, baiting up swims ahead of myself with small golf ball sized lumps of liquidised bread. My favourite bait in low clear conditions as we are probably going to have for a while, is a piece of anchored crust. I use a size four tied to a two inch long piece of silkworm. The other side of a micro swivel is one or two swan shot squeezed right to the top of a short link sandwiched between two small clear rubber beads held in place by a looped bait band which I trim to make a neat stop.

There are a couple of advantages to the use of crust I think. It is more bouyant than flake which helps a lot if you are upstreaming and fishing with a moving bait. It's also more likely to stay on if you need to give the bait a tweak now and again to free the bait or shots from weed. The very short hooklink also makes it easier to cast into tight little spots such as underneath overhanging trees.

Almost needless to say here I am sure, the most important thing of all though when chubbing small rivers is to be as stealthy as you can. Just because you are less likely to be able to see the fish in the winter they can still often see you if you aren't careful and they can detect your presence and rapidly depart at the sound of a clumsy footfall.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
John, I've mentioned this before on other threads. If you want to fish maggots, bronze or whatever, buy three pints, take them home and clean and riddle them split them into three seperate bags and freeze them. When you go fishing just take a bag out on the morning and off you go, simple. I put all my frozen maggots in 1.2 pint bags then put them in a used ice cream box, it keeps the missus happy that way.

Frozen maggots are equally as good as live ones and in some cases better plus you can of course flavour them quite easily.

J

john conway

Thanks for that Graham, I've used frozen maggots before for Tench fishing on the canal but never on the river, I'll give it a go. Someone told me that when defrosting them do it in water, I tried this once and they looked really good.
When buying maggots for freezing do you buy them with added maze or just as they come?

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Get hold of some turmeric John and after riddling off the maize, if theres any to start with, put a tablespoon of turmeric on them and leave them to degrease for a couple of hours. Theres nothing to beat it for cleaning maggots and the fish love the taste as well. After a couple of hours riddle the turmeric off and then bag 'em up.

J

john conway

Cheers Graham, I'll get myself organised this weekend and make sure that maggots are an option for the FM Ribble Chub Fish-in. Normally I can choose when I go to the river, so I tend to pick what looks like being the best river conditions for the week, doesn't always work and of course some days I just want to go regardless of the conditions.
With the Fish-in its going to be fishing the river as we find it on the day so a choice of bait on the day is essential.

W

Wolfman Woody

Everyone (who knows) uses turmeric to cleen maggots, but has anyone ever tried cumin? Give it a go, it gives them the real curry taste.

Also liquidised bread with a little corriander powder added. I had a terrific bag of roach once on caster fished over this.

Or just plain dry breadcrumb and corriander and when you're mixing up the groundbait do it with a pint of lager - then it will be like a real ruby night out for the fish!

I was, of course, joking on that very last point.