Winter chub fishing

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Cheeky I am sure some of the continentals use vodka in their groundbait mixes.

A

Andy "the Dog" Nellist

if you use cummin and corriander you'll bring on the Perch :eek:)

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Nigel,

I have seen the Swedish match anglers mixing their groundbaits and you are correct - Vodka is a basic liquid ingredient.
This in my experience was mainly on those large lakes that hold masses of Bream, although I have also seen it used for Roach and Ide on the Canals around Gothenberg too.

Matt Brown

Reaction score
I've just had my first Chubbing session of the season and managed a few but a strange thing happened.

On two of the casts I made I had around 10 plucks per cast. This was over a 2 minute period or so.

The line would tighten as though it had quickly been pulled around a centimetre before being quickly released.

I was touch ledgering with the rod almost pointing at the bait. The bait was less than 20 feet away and the water line came back through a piece of slack water.

I would have put it down to small fish except I was using big lumps of flake on a size 6.

Has anybody else experienced this? Did you work out what it was?

B

Bill Eborn

Matt
Were you fishing with a tight line? If so Chub have a habit of picking up the bait with their lips and letting go when they feel some resistance. Hence the plucks. As your line was coming back through a slack it would be difficult I assume, to allow a bow to form which would be the usual tactic if fishing downstream.

One thing that might work, is to hold some slack line in your free hand and be prepared to give a little when the plucks happen, reduce the amount of lead you are using or alternatively and probably the best option IMHO, fish upstream.

Matt Brown

Reaction score
Hi Bill,

I normally have a decent bow in the line and I even tried giving them more slack after the plucks started.

I was using a 1/2oz lead (which just held bottom) and was fishing across due to the nature of the swim.

I don't think it was Chub or I would have had them.

Red6

Reaction score
Lots of messages on this thread, but I will add my twopennath of limited experience.

For the last 8 weeks or so I have been doing a lot of chub fishing on the local small river.

During the end of Sept / early Oct, they were going nuts for sweetcorn on a small running legdger, but I have been getting some good fish (4lb plus) on cubes of beef from the butcher. I ask him for some scraps out of his bin and chop it up into about 10mm squares then soak it overnight in Pataks Balti paste, bang it on a size 12 hook, and away you go.

The hour before dark is always the most prolific, perhaps it's the chub equivalent of the boys going out for a curry !!

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Matt, most fish will take bread flake as you know, even the humble gudgeon will peck away at it, along with minnow and bleak. I suspect that this was what you were witnessing, if chub are in the swim they will soon bully their way to the bait and leave you in no doubt that they are there. Most chub bites on bread flake are very positive.

Matt Brown

Reaction score
I suspect you're right there Graham.

There's no Minnows and I doubt Bleak were sat at the bottom of a 12ft deep hole so you're probably right about the Gudgeon as the river is full of them.

It's just I'm never experienced the sensation before.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Depth won't deter bleak Matt I've been blitzed with the little devils in fast water 10ft deep on the Wye. I only mentioned those fish but of course theres always small roach, dace and tiny chub of course.

B

Bill Eborn

Matt
What prompted my response was an experience on my local Adur, the winter before last. I was fishing a swim under a low bridge, there was a heavy frost and the river was running low and clear. I started using a single swan shot on a link with flake on a size four, concentrating on the edge of a small slack under the bridge. I started getting a series of small plucks like the ones that you described. I then swapped over to a piece of freelined flake allowing the flake to sink under the weight of the hook, almost witin seconds the line twitched and straightened resulting in a cracking fish of 4.7.

I really don't think there was anything other than chub in the swim.

Matt Brown

Reaction score
Bill, I normally fish as light a lead as I can for Chub for the reasons you state.

Normally I'll get 1/2 inch pulls, so I give them some line and they usually drag the tip round.

This time was different and of course I tried all the usual tricks.

I suppose the mystery of fishing is what makes it enjoyable.

Michael Howson

Reaction score
Hello guys.Just been reading through this thread hoping someone would mention those old-fashioned bite- indicators, floats.I have just had a memorable session on my local river with nothing more complicated than a 4 no 4 stick float.I caught sixteen pristine chub from one and a half pounds to four pounds on double red maggot.This was on sunday .However it was back from the clouds today when i returned for more of the same and failed to catch.The river was up and full of ice water and debris.I shall be back as soon as conditions change for the better as fishing the stick is a most rewarding experience when the river is right.Will post my results along with locations in the near future.

Darren George

Reaction score
A chub on the float is worth two on the tip!

Matt, did you try giving some freebies and resting the swim? Ive found that by visiting the swim taking a fish or two and then leaving it for a while to settle not only picks up bonus fish from other swims, but also allows a good few fish to be taken from the original swim.

Especially feeding something that travels downstream nicely such as liquidised/mash bread combo etc

Matt Brown

Reaction score
Hi Darren, I put 3 cage 'feederfulls' of liquidised bread in an hour before I got to the peg.

Michael, it almost goes without saying ho effective and fun float fishing is. I would say stick float fishing is my favourite method.

What do people think of the theory that large Chub will come to a static bait and a smaller average will found on the float?

Red6

Reaction score
In respect of Matt's last line - if yesterday is anything to go by I would agree, - Chub over 3 pound on the quiver tip and one of about a pound, trotting. However today, it didn't matter what I did or what bait I used - not a sniff.

Some days you get them - and some you don't !!

J

john conway

Well lads, winters now arrived on the Ribble with river temperatures dropping from 10C down to 5C over the last three weeks and looking at last years records it?s now likely to bounce around between 3C and 8C for the rest of the season.
Now the question is under what conditions would you float fish as opposed to ledger for Chub?
Do you choose your river just so that you can float or ledger for Chub? Or do you choose the method to give you the best chance of success?

Re do the bigger fish respond best to moving or static baits, the I can only say that in my youth when I fished 95% of the time with the float, my largest roach and chub all came when I was ledgering.
To date on the Ribble and the Lune I very rarely float fish so it?s not surprising that all my chub and bream have fallen to ledgering. Basically the only time I float fish now ais for Dace on the Lune and Tench on the Lancaster Canal, but there again that?s just for now!

Matt Brown

Reaction score
To be honest, I just get the urge to go either touch ledgering or float fishing. I'll pick the swims that suit the method though.

If it's really cold I may choose the float because the effort keeps me a little warmer!

B

Bill Eborn

I think Matt's got something - trot on cold days because it keeps you warm or alternatively fish the float because it is an artform and there is something immensely satisfying about being able to do it whatever the conditions.

For all that, there is quite a lot of skill involved in crust fishing on small rivers too. When the river is running cold and clear, I wonder if it might not be a more productive method. In those circumstance I want to use watercraft to put a bait on a fishes nose with minimal use of liquidised bread to get the fish to gain some confidence.

I think I feel more confident fishing the float when I first of all know that I am fishing a swim that has a good head of fish and they are likely to want to put the effort into chasing after smaller baits.

So if there has been a period of cold dry conditions with high pressure which gives way to low pressure and a switch to warmer probably south westerly winds I can then feel confident spend some time feeding the swim before putting a bait in the water in order to get some competition going amongst the Chub. The competitive element means the bigger fish will bully their way to front of the queue.

Most of this incidentally, I learnt from watching Matt Hayes on the telly, and I am very conscious that I am still learning, so I would be interested in what others think.

D

Darryl Rogers 2

got to admit most of my chub fishing is in the winter on the river derwent not far from stuart