Winter chub fishing

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
To my mind, one of the advantages of float fishing in winter is that you can cover a lot more water on the float than the ledger/feeder. You have, first of all, to accept the fact that you are fishing for fewer fish except on those odd days when they go mad. The main reason though is the fish aren't quite so eager to go rushing all over the river and being competitive like in the summer. Chub will sit and wait for the feed to come to them, hence the frequency of bites at the end of your trot rather than on the way through. Thats also the reason why I think a big chubber is better than a stick float, you can run the float through 30 or 40 yards and still see the bite, something you can't do with a correctly shotted stick.

I

Iain Wishart

Just to continue the winter chub theme....whats the best rig to use? Fixed paternoster, free running paternoster, semi fixed lead or free running? I have read the various threads and there are many different views....Barney Ribble uses one rig, JC the same, John Wilson another and Martin James just attaches SSG to his main line....which is best when fishing a small river and a mobile approach? I currently use a semi fixed paternoster when fishing the R.Aire, but find that I am suffering tangles...still managing to catch chub, but missing too many bites!!!!! Good luck on the Ribble on Saturday ..had a 6Lb 1oz Chub and 11Lb 7oz Barbel in June

owzatsteve

Reaction score
just to let you all know about my winter chubbin on the river ivel at biggleswade trotting flake down the middle 3 corkers 6-1 5-5 5-3 and lost a barbel at the net and having never caught a barbel i am BLOODY MAD and chuffed at the same time bring on the frost

N

Nigel Moors 2

What a great treble! Trotting with a chubber I presume or a correctly shotted stick as Graham mentioned? If you're using a shotted down stick what size of bait/hook are you using?

What bait did you tempt the lost barbel on?

owzatsteve

Reaction score
thanks nigel it was a LARGE stick shotted lightly because of the flow size 6 hook with flake the size of a 50p i,m going out again tommorrow morning to sandy wier to see if i can catch this elusive barbel
i lost the barbel on flake and blue cheese

Michael Howson

Reaction score
Hello again guys.Here is my belated update of my local river exploits [the Rother].I have mixed fortunes and have not matched my earlier catch but i have had several cracking chub,some big brown trout and a couple of carp one of witch was close to double figures. These were spread over four sessions so its not bad for winter fishing on a small river that rises with the least rainfall.I am looking forward to a few sessions before the seasons close so lets hope for a bit of decent run in before its back to the carp puddles.