Wolverhampton 60???

M

Malcolm Bason

Rumour is going around that a 60lb carp has been caught from a lake in the Wolverhampton area! Can anyone shed any light?

C

Carp Angler

The fish was, apparently, stolen form Chanty ages ago and has been repeatedly caught from between 56 and 60lb.
The place is known as Etang de Bushbury.
Rumour was also rife that someone pulled scales off of the fish in an attempt to hide its true identity.

P

Paul Williams

The lake in question was an old works angling club lake very near to the city centre, Rik told me of it a few months back so i asked about locally.
The fish is there alright, along with others, and yes i have also heard it may have undergone surgery!!!!!allegedly!!if true then i find it sick and whilst i have after much thought decided that i would fish a water with imports this water aint one of em!!!!!

M

Malcolm Bason

Thanks for the info gentlemen - I for one will certainly not be going there!

The whole idea of moving a fish and 'doctoring it' to try to hide its identity is disgusting! I don't like the idea of moving fish anyway!

M

MARK FRAME

i thought most of the bigger carp were found in the food rich waters of the south the further north you went the smaller the fish.
stiil no doubt the name chasers among the carp fraternity will be chasing it .
its amazing wot people will do to get their mugs in the press.

what happened to just enjoying being there.

C

Carp Angler

It's got nothing to do with the richness of the water when you stick in 50lb+ carp.
I think you get rich waters anywhere, but with average temps being warmer darn Sarf, the carp will tend to have a longer feeding season, and thus grow quicker.

M

MARK FRAME

i agree with wot your saying but how come the fish wasn't a well known fish before now and was a section thirty(?) applied for by the owner or WAS the fish nicked

C

Carp Angler

read my first posting above.

As an aside, most people who receive stolen fish don't tend to apply for section 30, fish movement orders.

M

MARK FRAME

anyway if it is true the b~~~~~~s want their b~~~~~~S kicking.

D

Darren Wilson

I am not going to comment on this topic as my thoughts are already in print elsewhere regarding it.

But I will say I do not agree with Imported large Carp in any way, means or form. Sorry guys, but these are my morals and each to their own.

D

David Will

Has anyone with hard facts contacted the E.A and put their evidence in statement form.

D

Darren Wilson

What can the EA do apart from fine the fishery owner? They can't relocate the fish back to where it came from die to risk of disease.

The EA are probably aware of this (if they are not then they must be dimmer than what they make themselves out to be).

Similar things happened with Walthamstow Reservoirs a couple of years ago and when it went to court, the bloke repsonsible got away with it so lightly it was basically a waste of time them doing anything about it.

A

Andy Rooke

how could anyone pull the scale of a carp whats the fish ever done to them. i feel sick at the thought and i hate anglers disrespecting carp or any fishes welfare, i bet it was brought over in a small transportation tank with no YSI dissolved oxygen meters or any dissolved oxygen at all, as darren has already pointed out i too have already posted my thoughts on illeagly imported carp. i seriosly hope these ****ers get caught and prosucuted.
rooky

P

Philip Inzani

....and spare a thought for the French having their best fish nicked!

D

David Will

The EA may well be aware of it but until people start taking responsibility and giving them the tools to do the job their hands are tied.If we have the attitude of it not being worth it as they only get a fine those who object to big or any foreign fish may as well throw the towell in and accept them as part of your angling future.The EA dont dish out the punishments courts do and generally the more they see of a particular offence the more they crack down.The EA cannot do this on their own.

D

Darren Wilson

I agree that stronger sentences/ fines should be imposed, but if the people caught only get fined say ?500 for bringing a large fish or 2 over and they have made say ?1000 then they are laughing. I agree that the courts dish out the fines etc, but maybe the courts should think about raising the penalties more to stop it once and for all, maybe even a custodial sentence of no less than 18 months?? That would probably make the 'rustlers' think twice then.

D

David Will

Another option is to boycott such waters.But as we know some people will go to any lengths to catch bigger and better.
As for courts doing us all a favour and throwing the book for first time offenders i am afraid it is unlikely.What prosecutions do is raise the question of illegal imports and thefts.This would make any self respecting club or association think twice before dealing with any fish dealer.The sort of water who would 'handle' iffy fish are thankfully few but any complacency is disastrous.If this fish ever appears in the weeklies i look forward to the fallout of those in the know.