Worm keeping

bailpy6

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a good setup for keeping and farming lob worms? Fairly cheap too would be great.

Molehill

Reaction score
For keeping them I use a large plastic bucket filled with layered peat (the garden compost stuff), moss from my wood, shredded paper and egg boxes in no particular order or amounts. Make sure to check it doesn't become too dry - or wet. Then feed the worms, also keep cool which is not a problem now, don't leave them out to freeze obviously.
Mine seem to keep fine, but farming them is another issue which I can't help.

David Rogers 3

Reaction score
Most sources agree that lobs don't/won't breed "in captivity". I give my supply of lobs used tealeaves (loose tea, NOT from teabags, which usually contain traces of plasticiser that does them no good at all) once a week, spread on the surface of the compost they're kept in. I've heard elsewhere that grated RAW potato is also a good thing to feed them with, although I've not tried this myself.

bailpy6

Reaction score
Most sources agree that lobs don't/won't breed "in captivity". I give my supply of lobs used tealeaves (loose tea, NOT from teabags, which usually contain traces of plasticiser that does them no good at all) once a week, spread on the surface of the compost they're kept in. I've heard elsewhere that grated RAW potato is also a good thing to feed them with, although I've not tried this myself.
Thanks, what are your thoughts on that small willys worms worm keeper? just for a mix of dendras and lobs, just enough to tick me over really through winter river fishing!

David Rogers 3

Reaction score
Thanks, what are your thoughts on that small willys worms worm keeper? just for a mix of dendras and lobs, just enough to tick me over really through winter river fishing!
Firstly, dendras and lobs don't mix! I don't use dendras, only lobs, so I've never bought one of those worm keepers (which to me seem extremely expensive for what they are).

ian g

Reaction score
I use a lot of lob worms and by mine from https://baitline.co.uk/
You need to call Gordon as the web site is a bit iffy but the worms are first class . I keep mine in soaked cardboard and moss in a large bucket . During the summer it's in the fridge but it's ok on the shed floor around this time of year . I feed once a week with potato peeling . As David says they don't mix with dendras . I watched something on You tube with a guy saying his worms last 6 months using basically the same method as me . Mine don't last that long as the fish tend to eat them

Keith M

Reaction score
I don’t keep lobworm over winter as I find that when I use them they turn fairly lifeless after a few minutes in freezing cold water and I much prefer using the smaller livelier Redworm. Redworm (not to be confused with dendrobaena or brandlings) are similar in size to dendrobaena and are extremely lively and a bright red in colour and Tench in particular really love them.

I keep my Redworm in a large bucket full of earth and damp Spagnum moss (which is sold cheaply in some plant shops for making hanging baskets and other things).
NB:The bucket should have a few small drainage holes punched into its bottom too.

I start off with alternate layers of Earth and damp sphagnum moss which gradually get mixed up during the year as the worms move about in it, and in the spring I replace all of the layers of earth and sphagnum moss with fresh stuff.

I get my redworm stock from a under some well rotted horse manure in a field next to our estate lake; and occasionally top them up with a few more redworms; although they do breed and during the warmer months there are sometimes lots of tiny white baby ones whenever I move any of the apple slices and potato peel that I place on top to feed the worms. I also add couple of lettuce leafs in with the apple slices and peelings every now and then.

Whenever I need some redworms for bait I just lift some of the slices of apple and potato peelings and there would usually be enough redworm (that have been eating the decaying slices of apple & potato peel) to fill a small bait box with some damp sphagnum moss in it.

One thing I have learned is to never put damaged worm back in with the other worms as that is a sure way to kill the rest of them for some reason.

Keith

Last edited:

David Rogers 3

Reaction score
I don’t keep lobworm over winter as I find that when I use them they turn fairly lifeless after a few minutes in freezing cold water

That's a valid point, but I'm convinced it's the smell of a worm more than the wriggle which attracts the fish, especially in highly coloured water. After all, fish must be more familiar with finding drowned worms than live ones. A mate of mine was unconvinced by this until he caught his PB perch (3lb 8oz) recently on a completely inert and apparently lifeless lobworm. I think he believes me now. :)

ian g

Reaction score
David , I believe the postage is £6 so £27 for 100 lobworms , which is around the norm . I found his worms better than Willy worms

rayner

Reaction score
I lost all my dendra worms when the tub got flooded in a downpour (bad management from me). The only worms I keep now are red worms from well-rotted manure that comes from stables near home, the lad next door fills me a bucket with manure for a fiver.

Keith M

Reaction score
That's a valid point, but I'm convinced it's the smell of a worm more than the wriggle which attracts the fish, especially in highly coloured water. After all, fish must be more familiar with finding drowned worms than live ones. A mate of mine was unconvinced by this until he caught his PB perch (3lb 8oz) recently on a completely inert and apparently lifeless lobworm. I think he believes me now. :)

I’m absolutely sure you are right Dave, however I’m also convinced that in clear water when the temperatures are really low and the fish are not moving around much they can often be tempted to have a go at something moving on the bottom near them even when they are not actively looking for food.

Keith

Last edited:

David Rogers 3

Reaction score
David , I believe the postage is £6 so £27 for 100 lobworms , which is around the norm . I found his worms better than Willy worms
That sounds about right! Is that what you meant about the website being a bit dodgy? He could really do with rectifying that, as it's probably losing him business...

ian g

Reaction score
That sounds about right! Is that what you meant about the website being a bit dodgy? He could really do with rectifying that, as it's probably losing him business...
Must admit I hadn't noticed that in the T&C's . The issue with the website is that it seems to go into a loop when you order and you can't get to check out . He's a really decent guy so to be honest I just call him and order over the phone . Worms are there next day via 1st class post . I think he's a pretty small business so probably got some one he knew to do his website . It used to work fine but the last few months it hasn't

rubio

Reaction score
I lost all my dendra worms when the tub got flooded in a downpour (bad management from me). The only worms I keep now are red worms from well-rotted manure that comes from stables near home, the lad next door fills me a bucket with manure for a fiver.
I'd rather stay with horse manure myself!

john step

Reaction score
I think the best bet is to make an area of garden perhaps a couple of square yards available and dig plenty of horse manure in. They will breed and stay there if you keep it manured.
I used to keep rabbits as a kid and the muck and sawdust from the cages was chucked on a corner of the vege patch. The lobs became like snakes.

I use red worms a lot. I have a constant supply all year in a weather proof wormery in my garden. It takes up minimal space and little effort.
I do not know how to do a "link" on a computer but I submitted instructions about it some time ago.
Do forum search under the heading of MY WORMERY.

Last edited:

bezzer

Reaction score
I use worms quite a bit in my Tench fishing and then for Barbel when the river has a lot of colour in it. I found buying a pack of Dendros every time I went out was getting expensive so decided to make my own wormery. Following some pointers online I bought a couple of large lidded plastic containers from Wilkos and a bag of peat. Drill small holes in the bottom of one box, stick it inside the other, add the peat and half a kilo of Dendros, water it and leave for a couple of weeks. Then add kitchen scraps every couple of weeks. Saturday I added some lettuce which they get through in no time. The bottom box ends up with lots of worm 'juice' which I put on the garden. In my wormery now I have hundreds of worms! Should keep me going for quite a while. And yes, my garage is carpeted!

W1.JPG
W2.JPG
W3.JPG
W4.JPG