Worming

K

Keith Hacking

I use any legal method that the fishery allows.If its fly only i will fish fly only,if it,s any method i will use the method that seems to be most suitable for that day and conditions.i enjoy all types of fishing and like to be able to use them.i have been trying for years to cath another salmon on fly.but have not done so yet,keep trying though.

R

Ron Clay

Not for trout Ian.

One of the most interesting aspects of fly fishing is that you can reach a level of proficiency that makes the method the most deadly and effective way of putting trout on the bank.

Some years ago I used to fish a Yorks reservoir that was any method. Most anglers fished maggot feeder and of course caught lots of fish. However after a time the trout got pretty wised up on maggots and even worms. I remember catching and releasing 8 trout on buzzers in a spot recently vacated by a maggot man who had fished all morning for one trout!

I

Ian Whittaker

A true angler knows instinctively what to use in a given circumstance to achieve the desired result.

Farter McPhee

Reaction score
I love worming in the high water of a coloured spate. The first touches of a fish at the bait are very exciting and on a river like the Conway or Teifi you have no idea whether it will be a small parr, a brownie, an eel, a flounder, a seatrout or a salmon. In the words of the great Arthur Oglesby "Fook me, I've got a fookin bite - Get the fookin net quick!"

I wrote a short poem on this yeaterday whcih I would like to share with my fellow forum members:-

All unlike to the sad black month
which rebukes everyone for loving,
and brings short days and depressing rain,
and wind that will despoil the trees,
and weakness--terrifying frailty--
a trailing cloak with rain and hail,
incitement to high tides, and colds,
grey flooding water-courses down the valleys,
rivers in spate with raucous noise,
and day-time sad and wearisome,
skies overcast, sombre and chill,
their hue hiding from us the moon.
Let there come to him--threat that's easy to predict--
evil two-fold for his boorishness

K

Keith Hacking

arthur oglesby was a great angler and a gentleman.he would not talk like that.
dont malign someone who sadly is no longer with us.the last line of your poem just about somes you up though.

I

Ian Whittaker

Your right Keith
It definintely wasn't a quote from Arthur Oglesby.

Farter McPhee

Reaction score
Boorish - moi?

You guys wanna loosen up. Arthur would have appreciated the joke.

Incidentally in his youth there was probably no greater fishmonger with the shrimp. The opportunity to fish the finest waters can make a purist of anybody..hence I'm all for the use of the worm. It at least gives everyone a chance.

The key lies in bag-limits and any angler worth the name need not wait for legal restrictions to be imposed. Self-imposed bag limits are vital to pressurised stocks. I cannot remember the last time I killed a wild brownie although I have caught plenty in the last few years when after the sewin in the rocky welsh spate streams.

For what its worth I suggest a voluntary daily limit of 2 brownies, 2 sewin and 2 salmon. And thats a good day in anyones money.

Here's another poem for you chaps:-

It tasted better the next day
the left over
caccading into lonely
night's.
Small brown almond shaped eye's
searched, blinking away
wmotional moister, seeking
desperately a familiar
face.
Refolding the the paper
blotting out reality
conjuring up another fuzzy
excuse.
Today, it was not to be
only left
overs.

K

Keith Hacking

you got it right there ian.
ah well i am off down the river now,some trout to stock with our club.its allways the same ones in our club,over a hundred members and its allways the same half a dozen who do all the work.i enjoy it though nice to put something back into the club,for all the pleasure i get out of it.and then see how many kids are poaching today.they have there own free stretch just below us,but they keep straying on to our patch.the litter they leave is the worst

R

Ross Turner

I`ve just had a great day took my 3yr old son to ellerdine lakes,shropshire.
He bought a scooby doo fishing rod at go fishing last weekend so i said i would take him next time i went.
Ellerdine lakes has 3 fly pools & 1 bait pool stocked with trout,this is where i took my son.He caught 4 trout(3lb 12oz)all on worm.Youv`e got to start somewhere with kids & worm/bait fishing is ideal until they can handle a fly rod.