Would you buy it?

steve2

Reaction score
I see that on Vintage Tackle section there is a rod once owned by Richard Walker and given to his son.
Yours for the “bargain” price of only £1500 I don’t understand why anyone would pay this for a rod when you can buy the same for a £1000 less else where.
Does the previous owners name really add a £1000 of value to the rod that it appears he never used?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
If you check against a Barder modern version of a Walker MKIV Carp rod (at last year prices) that would cost £2,000 plus another £50 for the nickel silver handle fittings . . . . so £1,500 for a genuine Walker rod is a good price . . .

To a collector that is a decent price in my opinion . . . . I am lucky enough to own a few Richard walker items that I've bought at auctions where there is always lot of competition to own them.

steve2

Reaction score
But this rod is just another MK1V produced by B James & Son and given to him not made by Richard Walker.
So why the £1000 markup on a rod that does not appear to be a one off special build or is it just cashing in on his name.
But like you say someone somewhere will be willing to pay for it just to say they own something the Richard Walker once owned for a while.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I wouldn't buy it to use, regardless of any provenance or at any price, but I can understand why some folks might be willing to pay a premium for it. Besides, what other people choose to do with their money doesn't concern me one jot.

steve2

Reaction score
I wouldn't buy it to use, regardless of any provenance or at any price, but I can understand why some folks might be willing to pay a premium for it. Besides, what other people choose to do with their money doesn't concern me one jot.

Neither would I buy it I was just wondering where these silly prices come from and what makes this one so special.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
If you check against a Barder modern version of a Walker MKIV Carp rod (at last year prices) that would cost £2,000 plus another £50 for the nickel silver handle fittings . . . . so £1,500 for a genuine Walker rod is a good price . . .

To a collector that is a decent price in my opinion . . . . I am lucky enough to own a few Richard walker items that I've bought at auctions where there is always lot of competition to own them.
In that case I have one going for £1750, any offers! :)

iannate

The fish made me do it!
Reaction score
It's only worth that much if someone is willing to pay for it, a bit like those pringles tubes sold for stupid money as float tubes along with several other items of a similar ilk.

I bet Mark Wintle would have loved to have sold his Roach books for what they go for on the bay, and that was shortly after they were published?

sam vimes

Reaction score
Neither would I buy it I was just wondering where these silly prices come from and what makes this one so special.

Provenance. **** Walker actually owned it, even if only briefly. Certain angling brands, or names, associated with fishing gear do attract a significant premium that some are willing to pay. **** Walker and Chris Yates are two names that certainly seem to get collectors excited even when the link is fairly tenuous. After that you are talking brand names such as Normark and Carbotec. Gear whose residual value fair outstrips the vast majority of gear of similar vintage. Finally, you have the little niche manufacturers such as Chris Lythe and Edward Barder. Products from such makers are often more expensive on the secondary market than when buying new. Such is the limited output and high desirability of their stuff.

However, it pays not to assume that an asking price equates to a selling price. A seller can ask whatever they like. That doesn't mean a buyer will actually pay it. eBay is full of overpriced gear that doesn't sell at the prices being asked. Then there are items that hang around like bad smells for months and months because the asking prices are, to be charitable, optimistic.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'm thinking that this is a cane rod?
One day last week I was trotting and a salmon angler was above me and working his way down towards me. As he got near to me I let him fish through and as he got about half way through my trott I started fishing again and hooked straight up with a barbel. It was in a spot where no line can be given and so the rod was hooped right over for a few minuites as the fish tried it's best to break it. The chap sat and watched as I had another couple of barbel and some very nice chub which again bent the rod into some serious prolonged arks.
I had a chat with the gent and he wanted to know what the rod was which I was using as he said he liked it. Anyhow, he was telling me about his huge collection of rods, of which many were cane, and he rhymed off lots of their names, apparently very high end rods!
He told me that they would be no use for the kind of fishing I was doing due to them taking a set if put under pro longed pressure like that.
He actually said he didn't use them and just hung onto them simply because he had them, but, he really must get shut of them.

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I’m curious now Ian. What rod were you using?

Hey Mike :), it was the 11ft hardy supero avon rod. The gentlman was smitten with it and asked where he could get hold of one. He was a bit dejected when I told him they were no longer made

chevin4

Reaction score
Outdated technology Mr Walker wasted no time in changing to glass rods in the sixties. Centrepin reels are a different matter though and can give an advantage in certain situations

xenon

Reaction score
dont think i would bother, even if I had that kind of money-it's not as if it will make you fish better?

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
It's only worth that much if someone is willing to pay for it, a bit like those pringles tubes sold for stupid money as float tubes along with several other items of a similar ilk.

I bet Mark Wintle would have loved to have sold his Roach books for what they go for on the bay, and that was shortly after they were published?
Don't worry, I did well with my first roach book.

steve2

Reaction score
I'm thinking that this is a cane rod?
One day last week I was trotting and a salmon angler was above me and working his way down towards me. As he got near to me I let him fish through and as he got about half way through my trott I started fishing again and hooked straight up with a barbel. It was in a spot where no line can be given and so the rod was hooped right over for a few minuites as the fish tried it's best to break it. The chap sat and watched as I had another couple of barbel and some very nice chub which again bent the rod into some serious prolonged arks.
I had a chat with the gent and he wanted to know what the rod was which I was using as he said he liked it. Anyhow, he was telling me about his huge collection of rods, of which many were cane, and he rhymed off lots of their names, apparently very high end rods!
He told me that they would be no use for the kind of fishing I was doing due to them taking a set if put under pro longed pressure like that.
He actually said he didn't use them and just hung onto them simply because he had them, but, he really must get shut of them.

I have got some cane rods the last one I used was a Allcocks light caster spinning rod. Caught a few fish on it but it was too soft and bendy for me much prefer my light weight carbon. It's now gathering dust, nice to look at but not nice to use. There will always be collectors for for rods and reels but to me if it's not used it's just a piece of cane or carbon or metal.