Youngsters into the Sport.

B

Bar Barbus

Does anyone know if

"adopt an angler"
"Fishing week" or similar events are planned for this year

so that newcomers/youngsters are introduced into the sport, and what do the members on the list think about organising something similar?

D

Daniel Whitelock

come on guys we do need more youngsters like me i know of only one other person who fishes in my yeargroup and we always go out having mini competitions and everything and even if we catch nowt we love being out there and having a go at it, plus it is a great way of getting away from all this gcse courswork and exams and stuff. anyone got any ideas how we can get more youngsters into the sport then coz it really is annoying trying to explain to people that they really are missing out on a great sport.??
cheers Daniel

J

Jonathan Faro

AS I've just said on another thread My next door neighbour helps me with fishing I help the kid down the road adn it's a kinda circle. You do need to get them down to the bank to expalin how getting up early to sit on the cold bank is great. It must be as me and one of my mates anted to go fishing but had to do things that day. He came round at about 4 in the morning we cycled the miles ot Blue mills adn had a nice mornings fishing

Anyway good luck with your GCSE's Daniel did them a few yeasr ago and now doing my A levels so if you need any advice just ask.

N

Neil Wayte

RMC are running three junior fishin this year.Two on lakes and one on the river.Places are limited but they are at least trying.

D

Daniel Whitelock

thanx for the good luck wish, it isn't too bad at the moment it's only module exams and coursework.
anyway back to the thread i think that to get youngsters into the sport they have got to be attracted as young as possible. i know that a lot of angling clubs try by having junior fish ins etc but imagine being 6 or 7 years old and the thought of going to a strange place with strange blokes u never met isn't really appealing i don't think, plus parents would probably not like it.
i think that schools should be the target so the youngsters feel comfortable going fishing with their mates and teachers, people that they know so they can learn the basics and get involved, so when they are a bit older they can the participate in club events etc so it isn't all as daunting for them.
cheers Daniel

J

Jonathan Faro

My old school i.e senior had a fishing club. Most of the time it just involved meeting up and having a chat and reading anglers mail or wahtever anyone had brought in. Therer where a few little matches but due to other commitments I was never able to join them

Jon

M

Malcolm Bason

Hi all. I think its a great idea to encourage youngsters and offer as much practical help as possible. Whenever i get the chance, i will try to do just that. Having been browsing the Environment Agency's web-site today, I have learnt that they now offer a beginners licence! This seems a great idea and one which should help those organising junior fish-ins and such like. Please take a look using the following link:

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/fish/angling/beginners/index.htm