Your best or worst bodge job? Or any job.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I broke this tip while walking a little while ago, it got caught in some vegetation somehow at an awkward angle and 3ins broke off. This is a cheap rod but I use it a lot. I chamfered the ends down at a slope and super glued them together and then wound loads of 4lb line round the join, I like using fishing line for this kind of thing as it binds down tight, then I gave it the superglue treatment. Been using it ever since and it works fine.
I have done the same with a broken reel handle and that's still going.
100_0625.JPG

Last edited:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Mark - I don't know whether to laugh or cry but full marks for having the bottle to show it and if it works, who cares. (y)
:love: I am saving my reel as a special treat, I don't think your quite ready for it yet.

"I chamfered the ends down at a slope" Surprised no one has congratulated me on that, that was real skill. I am obviously wasted on here..

Last edited:

The Runner

Reaction score
Perfect job ! If it wasn’t currently in a mates garage 600 miles away I could show you all a virtually identical repair to the bottom end of the finest tip of my Normark 13’ Multitip. It’s lasted at least twelve years and some very heavy use.

Philip

Reaction score
I chamfered the ends down at a slope and super glued them together and then wound loads of 4lb line round the join, I like using fishing line for this kind of thing as it binds down tight, then I gave it the superglue treatment. Been using it ever since and it works fine.
I have done the same with a broken reel handle and that's still going.

When I first opened the post I only saw half the photo on the screen and thought WOW thats an amazing fix, the tip looks as good as original !!!

…then I scrolled down …o_O

Haha, as Gordon says if your happy & it works that’s what matters. ...Mind you Xmas is just round the corner too …maybe its a good moment to treat yourself to a new rod Mark ? ..…you fish enough to warrant & deserve it I am sure :)

Keith M

Reaction score
I broke about 3 inches off of the tip of a 14ft amorphous Whisker heavy Float rod and I fixed it by inserting a half inch piece of a sewing needle coated in arraldite inside of the break which worked fine and without a visible flat spot where the piece of needle was inserted.
It saved me from having to shorten the rod tip and have to rewhip the tip ring and respace the other tip rings.

Keith

steve2

Reaction score
I have a few pole section that repaired with tape and a few inches of tape have saved me £s. Also have a Peter Cockswill fly rod that as tape holding a crushed section together. That was my favourite rod when I use to fish on Avington and Dever Springs and didn't want to throw it away.

theartist

Reaction score
Yay a bodging thread -I'll always remember dad playing a big barbel on the Colne with the tip missing on his old rod, damaged earlier in the day he sawed it off to the next ring down with an old penknife, being the king of the superbodge he said it actually worked better and went on to use it like that for a few years, I can still see the bend or rather lack of it and boy did it work. I can't think of a season going by when dad didn't superbodge something together.

8mm silicon tubing makes for a good superbodge when the thread goes on your net handle, this has happened a number of times now and once on a day when I had a two pound roach, I couldn't get my hands on the spreader quick enough.

rayner

Reaction score
Crazy, bodge away to your heart's content. I'm lucky that I have only broken one tip on a rod, that was just a 12 quid quiver tip. If I did ever break any tackle it would be changed for new, and us in Yorkshire are supposed to be tight-fisted yea that's right.

The Sogster

Reaction score
Not rod related, but I remember a fix I had to make whilst fishing a while ago.

I was using a trolley with detachable wheels held on by those quick release 'R' clips. Similar to those seen on racing car bonnets.
Having travelled to the venue on public transport and the walking for a further fifty minutes across country I was about three quarters of the way along a public footpath through a cornfield when suddenly one of the wheels fell off.
It was then I realised that one of the clips holding the wheels on must have caught on some vegetation at a narrow point in the path and pulled out.
Talk about panic, looking for that clip would have meant searching for the impossible.

Realising I couldn't carry all my gear I thought about what to do wracking my brain for a substitute clip in my tackle box.
Then boom ?, I had it.

I used the spiral ring on my keyring, fit perfectly and ain't never coming off accidentally. I liked it so much I changed the remaining original clip for another key ring spiral.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I can’t say I’m a great fan of bodging, if needs must then I will do it as a temporary fix on the bank, but for years I worked as a mechanic and auto electrician. I’ve no idea how much time I’ve wasted putting right other people’s lash up’s, but it is considerable. I can’t show any pictures of my bodges because when I get home I fix it properly.

One of my mates had a 70’s Corvette Stingray that I looked after for a while and almost every part of the car had been bodged up at sometime. Each job would invariably cost three or four times the price that it should have done to fix, as it would take three or four times the time it should do to put right other people’s bodges.

Improvements, now that’s a different matter. It could be fitting ceramic bearings to a centrepin, making tackle for a specific purpose, fixing a landing net pole so it doesn’t jamb up at the joints or anything you do to deliberately improve something to make it more reliable or work better. In fact I have a few projects on the go at the moment.

But to take a rod out with me that looks like a donkey’s hind leg? Nah, not for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

peterjg

Reaction score
You can't beat a good bodge - the fish don't know!

no-one in particular

Reaction score
You can't beat a good bodge - the fish don't know!
This is true and in fact the rod performs just as well, in the picture it is blown up so it looks awful but I hardly notice it when I am fishing, I was worried that the line might catch but it doesn't. It wont break and I caught a 4lb chub on it with no problems. I have used this rod for about 10 years and it has always ticked all the boxes for me, it is a good color, it is not shiny, it has a cork handle and it has played every fish I have caught up to 6lb with ease. I couldn't ask for more of a rod of its type. Would I get more for my money if I paid £50, £100, £200? The other alternative was ditch the broken bit and redo all the rings, imagine what a job I would have made! this took me ten minutes and cost about 5p.
Should I get a new one? well yes but the last time I bought a new one it was rubbish, an Abu float rod, the line kept sticking to the rod when wet, I don't know why perhaps the material or the rings. The rings were all wrong, the line would get snagged on the end every 5th cast for some reason, bloody irritating. I lost it eventually and was not sorry, left at my sisters and she accidently threw it out!!!!. I wouldn't buy anything Abu again. I know there are plenty of choices out there but if it aint broke why try and fix it! This rod will carry on catching me plenty more fish for a lot of years yet.
A rod is just a rod, it is not an armchair or a car where you want the best comfort etc available, a rod is just a basic tool afterall.