Your best or worst bodge job? Or any job.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I like that, my standard of fly tying and definitely a catcher (given perseverance).
Actually, they can work, I had a few of these in different sizes and colour/shape. Any old left over line will do, some tiny beads from a craft shop, a bit of glue and paint. The nice thing is if they get lost which lets face it they usually do at some point they only cost a few pence. This is the only one left of about 5 I made, now if that was lures which cost about £3/£5 a time these days, that could be £20.
I remember lures were often made out of old spoons, does anyone do that anymore?

no-one in particular

Reaction score
There was a video of a bloke who made a brilliant prawn out of a plastic drinking straw, it was here somewhere; it was genius. I picked one up the other day so might have a go myself, bet you cant wait to see that.:)

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Decided to not try and make an old rod look like an old rod, strip it right down and start with a new blank and go from there. Corks and brass bits have come off, wasn't sure how to do that so I stuck it into boiling water for 15 mins, did the trick and came off eventually., interesting, seems like there is a shaped wooden handle under the cork; wasn't expecting that, now I have to work out how to put the cork on, I am going to put modern corks and reel fittings and but caps on plus all new modern rings, try to make a light roach rod, I wanted to put carbon ferrules on but it seems they don't exist so may have to keep the brass ones but other than those small problems this could be the best bodge ever. I know you will all be willing me on; tell you what, they don't make rods like they used to, some mighty work gone into that handle alone.
100_0636.JPG

Last edited:

steve2

Reaction score
Just bought 2 old wood and brass fishing reels which will polished and revarnished then mounted on blocks and used as book ends on my fishing book shelves. If they turn out to be ok and run smoothly I might try them out on my cane rods before putting them on the shelf.

The Sogster

Reaction score
What a good idea, now I know what to do with mine.

Just bought 2 old wood and brass fishing reels which will polished and revarnished then mounted on blocks and used as book ends on my fishing book shelves. If they turn out to be ok and run smoothly I might try them out on my cane rods before putting them on the shelf.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
That took some doing, got all the gunk off, old varnish rings etc., the little bits of whipping were the hardest, managed to prise them off with a knife, several coats of paint stripper and scrapping did the rest and sandpaper. I have ordered a new handle, some rings and some shrink tube for the rings. Do I know what I am doing? of course I do. Pretty sure it is green heart wood now. What I can't show you is the action of this rod , it is superb.
100_0644.JPG

Last edited:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
My next project, if anyone needs a new pole if your man enough for it. Or maybe destined for the beans:) Amazing what they fished with once though; this was probably state of the art once.
100_0646.JPG

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Used to see plenty of those in the antique and collectors centres,
Ha, that's were they are but you can find a goodun sometimes. These were in an auction and I think I paid about £25 for them. I bought them blind as I was late getting there and they were about to call the lot so I never got the chance to look at them properly as they were in their bags so I just went for it, not sure I would have bothered if I had seen them though. Still it has given me something to do during this lockdown so all's good in the end.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Ha, that's were they are but you can find a goodun sometimes. These were in an auction and I think I paid about £25 for them. I bought them blind as I was late getting there and they were about to call the lot so I never got the chance to look at them properly as they were in their bags so I just went for it, not sure I would have bothered if I had seen them though. Still it has given me something to do during this lockdown so all's good in the end.
They sometimes want stupid money for them,
I bought a jack Hargreaves rod with something like dove dale on the butt,
I think someone has redone the blank in a type of black varnish, it's a bamboo colour on parts of the butt, I am wondering what may get varnish /paint off without damaging the blank.
Its fibreglass with brass ferrules, 3 piece and I think 10' in length, cork handle, and screw in rubber plug in the butt,

Last edited:

john step

Reaction score
I did read or hear somewhere that one has to be careful with split cane when putting chemicals on the blank to get rid of old varnish. Apparently the stripper can damage the glue holding the strips together causing one to end up with a cat o nine tails.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I wasn't sure what to do with the ferrules, you can blue them but the stuff you buy is quite expensive and not guaranteed to work. So I decided to paint them black but this did not work very well with the ordinary paint I had. So I bought a can of matt black spray paint for a quid from the £ shop. I taped the ferrules and this seems to have worked well; I put some shrink tube on the ends as well. I think once varnished this is not a bad job. Looks OK when the rod is together. Just waiting for the new handle and rings now which won't arrive until January 6th
100_0647.JPG

john step

Reaction score
Carry on like this and you will be receiving a sealed envelope by special horse back courier for an interview with the Golden Scale Club.
I think thats the name of said club?

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Here's an idea. when I ordered a box of the shrink tube stuff I had not reckoned for the sizes. Most of these would be useless for rods, too small so I was a bit horrified when I opened it, however I found enough sizes to fulfill my rod ambitions. I have just reckoned the rest could go into my float renovations, different colors and the right sizes. The box cost about £11 with postage. These can set the eyes in and provide colorful tips, save all that whipping and glue, fishing line, wonky paint jobs etc., a lighter flame is all it needs and the jobs done. My floats will be looking like old Purples and Binkas before long. But seriously is that a good idea.
100_0649.JPG