Your best or worst bodge job? Or any job.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Here's an idea. when I ordered a box of the shrink tube stuff I had not reckoned for the sizes. Most of these would be useless for rods, too small so I was a bit horrified when I opened it, however I found enough sizes to fulfill my rod ambitions. I have just reckoned the rest could go into my float renovations, different colors and the right sizes. The box cost about £11 with postage. These can set the eyes in and provide colorful tips, save all that whipping and glue, fishing line, wonky paint jobs etc., a lighter flame is all it needs and the jobs done. My floats will be looking like old Purples and Binkas before long. But seriously is that a good idea.
View attachment 12377
You could always use the spares as condoms ?

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Just make sure she isn’t too hot :giggle:

Keith
Ha. too hot to handle or not hot enough to shrink maybe.

Just one thing, just had a bit of a play with a bit of quill, in fact most of these in the box are even too small for a tiny bit of quill so, if you do get some with the same idea as me, make sure they are in larger sizes.
100_0651.JPG

Molehill

Reaction score
I remember lures were often made out of old spoons, does anyone do that anymore?
Used too do that at school, tea and desert spoons "borrowed" from the school. They accounted for plenty of river pike.

john step

Reaction score
I could set fire to the lot of it which I know is the general view because art is a very misunderstood concept. However, you just gave me an idea, put a light bulb on my floats, I will get to work on it :)
Its been done and the results were quite large and I guess somewhat unusable and unstable lighthouses sticking out of the water. Beachy Head anyone?

peterjg

Reaction score
Keep at it Markg! I also make loads of floats - so much better to use home made stuff rather than shop bought. At the moment I am altering (again) a rod which started life as a 13/15ft very soft match rod to a 9ft 8inch swingtip rod for canal roach - it will keep me out of mischief for a while.

Over the years I have made:
Bite alarms and remote sounder
Cage feeders
Bottle top feeders
Floats
Bobbins
Butt indicators
Swing and quivertips
Hair rig tyer
Spods
Keepnet (when I was a boy)
Storm rods
Overwraps
Stove wind shield
Camera tripod adaptor for bulb release
Rod pods
Rod rests
Rod holdall
Ground bait trebuchet
Boilie throwing sticks
Maggot/particle throwing stick
Lead weights
Back leads
Flying back leads
Rods

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Plummets are easy, a nut (not me) a piece of cork from a wine bottle sliced off the end and some copper wire. Fashion the copper wire through and around the nut and twist to make a loop. Super glue the piece of cork to the side of the nut.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I’ve got a project I hope to complete. I have a broken top section from a Free Spirit 2.5 tc carp rod that I broke a few years ago.

Last time out lure fishing I hooked up and reeled in a top section of a carp rod that must of come off on the cast or have been dragged in at some time. I am going to cut it down to use for the male spigot on my existing handle. I think that the new rod will be around 8/8.5ft long and good for casting lures up to about 80g.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

no-one in particular

Reaction score
One nice roach rod for less than 20 quid, you just cant beat a nice bit of greenheart I always say. Surprisingly light with the old wooden handle gone with all those bits of brass. It meant shortening it to about 10.5ft but that's OK. I rubbed about 5 lots of oil into it before varnishing to give the wood a bit of rejuvenating. I ran out of black ring grips which was a shame but I don't really mind, its only cosmetic. The ferrules have retained that satisfying plop which for a very old rod is quite something but they were well made. It should, fish well, feels right for a spot of roach fishing, nice action a bit tippy but overall feels good, the balance is just about right with a small fixed spool but I might want to try it with a small centrepin so might have to adjust it a bit. It was interesting to do, maybe a bit of life left in those old dogs yet and I have found another one to do up.
100_0659.JPG
100_0660.JPG
100_0661.JPG

Last edited:

Notts Michael.

Reaction score
A workmate recently gave me a 5mtr whip which he had got out of a skip, and said something like 'You like fishing don't you........ I found this if it's any use to you' the tip section was missing and the next section cracked, hence being skipped I suppose, but I ended up making a very useful 7ft landing net handle out of the 2 thickest telescopic sections by epoxying a 3/8'' BSF threaded aluminium end I made at work, into the thin end, and it's great! light, stiff and useful for canal and lake venues I go to. also another section makes a good protective holder for 2 spare quiver tip sections for my rod, with suitable bungs made to shove in each end.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Came across these today in my art box, pound shop or something similar, I cant help thinking floats, or is this lockdown fever!
Photo1707.jpg

rayner

Reaction score
Get on with them Mark could work maybe not. you know you can buy a few floats and just sit idle for a few minutes.;)

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Get on with them Mark could work maybe not. you know you can buy a few floats and just sit idle for a few minutes.;)
I might just take one with me fishing next time, see how they work on a line; nothing ventured nothing gained as they say. Cheap floats if they work, maybe a bit of modification. Better paint work than I could ever get, no surprises there:)

Keith M

Reaction score
Plummets are easy, a nut (not me) a piece of cork from a wine bottle sliced off the end and some copper wire. Fashion the copper wire through and around the nut and twist to make a loop. Super glue the piece of cork to the side of the nut.

One or more SSG shot pinched onto a short length of rubber tubing makes a great plummet.
And if you are afraid of losing it you can always push a small length of cocktail stick inside the tubing, although it's not really necessary.

Keith

Last edited:

Dangler40

Reaction score
I broke this tip while walking a little while ago, it got caught in some vegetation somehow at an awkward angle and 3ins broke off. This is a cheap rod but I use it a lot. I chamfered the ends down at a slope and super glued them together and then wound loads of 4lb line round the join, I like using fishing line for this kind of thing as it binds down tight, then I gave it the superglue treatment. Been using it ever since and it works fine.
I have done the same with a broken reel handle and that's still going.
View attachment 11945
MarkG you are a Demi God ! Some of the best material I've seen on a forum in ages ! Your scope of imagination and improvisation is only bettered by your outlook on our sport. Obsession in any form is not usually healthy and you appear to have found the perfect balance. Long may you reign as the Emporer of Bodge. Thank you !

john step

Reaction score
Came across these today in my art box, pound shop or something similar, I cant help thinking floats, or is this lockdown fever!
View attachment 12692
Its been done before Mark. Do you remember those bl**dy awful Newark Needle Floats they couldn't sell so they gave them away free with Angling Times?

no-one in particular

Reaction score
MarkG you are a Demi God ! Some of the best material I've seen on a forum in ages ! Your scope of imagination and improvisation is only bettered by your outlook on our sport. Obsession in any form is not usually healthy and you appear to have found the perfect balance. Long may you reign as the Emporer of Bodge. Thank you !
Ha, maybe not everyone would say that but I am glad you have enjoyed it, bodging is an art form in itself. Thanks.