Your best or worst bodge job? Or any job.

rayner

Reaction score
If you have a solid reason for the design you have then I'm with you. I still have thought the float may work better off the pier.
Is there a reason why the vanes are not level or were you just not too bothered?
I can't dispute your comment regarding pretty and conventional.
My floats particularly have no quality as the likes of our own Aknib or PPeanut but I draw the line at downright ugly.
I'm envious of your confident style though. ?

no-one in particular

Reaction score
If you have a solid reason for the design you have then I'm with you. I still have thought the float may work better off the pier.
Is there a reason why the vanes are not level or were you just not too bothered?
I can't dispute your comment regarding pretty and conventional.
My floats particularly have no quality as the likes of our own Aknib or PPeanut but I draw the line at downright ugly.
I'm envious of your confident style though. ?
I was just messing around, see if I could cut and sand the planes first, the nice thing is I do this all in one so all planes look the same. Took minutes and cost nothing. I just used some dabs of epoxy, I had some left over from another job and it was going hard so just thought I would see what it would look like and how well they might stick. pretty well actually but when I do it proper I will give it more thought and application. The main thing for me is I can see it working "eventually" but as always the proof will be in the pudding.
Could apply to a sea float but I don't really trot the sea and mending the line is not a big issue. this is a type of river stick float and I cannot see a problem if you forget convention. This should float down a slow moving river pulling line off easier and stay more stable when mending the line without affecting the sensitivity too much. I see this working when I am mullet fishing and holding the bait steady or chub fishing the far bank trying to hold a line under a tree or bush or something; I find that difficult as a rule.

rayner

Reaction score
Could apply to a sea float but I don't really trot the sea and mending the line is not a big issue. this is a type of river stick float and I cannot see a problem if you forget convention.
I can see you running up and down the pier chasing your flighted offering.?‍♂️?

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I ordered a pole repair kit from Esselle pole repairs, it consists of carbon wrap, finishing tape, resin,hardner, latex gloves,stick, and brush for affixing resin and hardener to section.
I bought it to strengthen the bottom of an old section on a power kit. Can also be used for repairing crushed or snapped sections.
The instructions seem straight forward plus there is a video on esselle website.
I am going to have a go with it at the weekend, Will post results when done.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I ordered a pole repair kit from Esselle pole repairs, it consists of carbon wrap, finishing tape, resin,hardner, latex gloves,stick, and brush for affixing resin and hardener to section.
I bought it to strengthen the bottom of an old section on a power kit. Can also be used for repairing crushed or snapped sections.
The instructions seem straight forward plus there is a video on esselle website.
I am going to have a go with it at the weekend, Will post results when done.
Can you make a complete pigs ear of it. I would be falling over myself, praying, really praying hard.

:)

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Can you make a complete pigs ear of it. I would be falling over myself, praying, really praying hard.

:)
The hard part will be the taper on the bottom of the section, if I was doing an overwrap to strengthen for side pullers it wouldnt be to bad, ?
I have to get the carbon wrap more or less flush with the bottom of the section. I am doing a double overwrap around it, Can either cut 2 pieces and fit like that ,or cut a larger piece and wrap it round twice.

P.S I waiting for your sarky comment to arrive.?

no-one in particular

Reaction score
The hard part will be the taper on the bottom of the section, if I was doing an overwrap to strengthen for side pullers it wouldnt be to bad, ?
I have to get the carbon wrap more or less flush with the bottom of the section. I am doing a double overwrap around it, Can either cut 2 pieces and fit like that ,or cut a larger piece and wrap it round twice.

P.S I waiting for your sarky comment to arrive.?
No comment needed, just please make a balls up of it and post the pictures, I wont say a word promise, on my mothers...

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
No comment needed, just please make a balls up of it and post the pictures, I wont say a word promise, on my mothers...
I have heard that strands of carbon fibre work loose when applying the wrap to the "tacky" resin and hardener, I have to wait around 2 hours after applying resin for it to go tacky,
Once the wrap is on I use finishing tape over it to squeeze excess resin and hardener out . Hold ends of tape in place with masking tape, keep in warm place for 24 hours the remove finishing tape
Clean up as required when removed.
There are some kits on the market than the curing process can be speeded up with a high power hair dryer or a heat gun.

You could do with one of these kits for your bodge up jobs.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I have heard that strands of carbon fibre work loose when applying the wrap to the "tacky" resin and hardener, I have to wait around 2 hours after applying resin for it to go tacky,
Once the wrap is on I use finishing tape over it to squeeze excess resin and hardener out . Hold ends of tape in place with masking tape, keep in warm place for 24 hours the remove finishing tape
Clean up as required when removed.
There are some kits on the market than the curing process can be speeded up with a high power hair dryer or a heat gun.

You could do with one of these kits for your bodge up jobs.
Cor, listen to it, all the old flannel coming out, Gordon Benet, try fixing a broken rod for 10p and 10 minutes, you don't know you're born, everything laid out and ready, instructions the lot. I could do that with my eyes shut and without even touching the sides.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Cor, listen to it, all the old flannel coming out, Gordon Benet, try fixing a broken rod for 10p and 10 minutes, you don't know you're born, everything laid out and ready, instructions the lot. I could do that with my eyes shut and without even touching the sides.
Looking at some of your bodge ups, I would say you did them with your eyes shut.
At least my finished product will look like a pole section and not something like a chip fork dart.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Looking at some of your bodge ups, I would say you did them with your eyes shut.
At least my finished product will look like a pole section and not something like a chip fork dart.
I am a man of infinite innovative skills, I am sure it will look like something, no cheating, no pictures off the internet, I know, I know all the ruses.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
It cant be any worse than markg duct tape rod tip bodge up.
I have everything ready to start tomorrow.
20210311_095449.jpg

The brush in the foreground still has protective wrapper on it.
Behind the brush is the roll of carbon wrap and tool for applying resin and hardener and wooden spatula for mixing resin and hardener.
Behind that is resin and hardener, finishing tape to hold wrap in place while it cures, remove after 24 hours.container for resin and hardener mix and measuring pot for a 3 to 1 mix. And finally latex gloves to protect my delicate hands.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
It cant be any worse than markg duct tape rod tip bodge up.
I have everything ready to start tomorrow.
View attachment 13748
The brush in the foreground still has protective wrapper on it.
Behind the brush is the roll of carbon wrap and tool for applying resin and hardener and wooden spatula for mixing resin and hardener.
Behind that is resin and hardener, finishing tape to hold wrap in place while it cures, remove after 24 hours.container for resin and hardener mix and measuring pot for a 3 to 1 mix. And finally latex gloves to protect my delicate hands.
Cheek, I wouldn't use duck tape, apart from the cost I have never ducked anything. Lets be honest, that's not a bodge unless you balls it up, my bodges can't be ballsed up, they are already a balls up, there's a subtle art to it.