Your best or worst bodge job? Or any job.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I think I have excelled myself this time, I have just the swim for this, there is a tree overhanging the far bank on the stretch of river I fish, I have had some small chub but I reckon there might be a wary big one hangs out under that tree, I don't want to put a weight in the tree and the splash might spook him., it is slow moving but hard to get a float to just go under it or right in front; I think this will hold the line and do the job. Now where's the droll brigade, stunned into silence!
100_0751.JPG

john step

Reaction score
Very professional. Almost Purple Peanuts standard.

Reminds me of an incident from my very early years of fishing.
I was very young perhaps 7 or 8.
Angling Times ran a float making competition. In my youthful naivety I decided to have a go. I submitted a couple. They were not up to your standard Mark.
When the results were published I was astounded at the finesse and shine on the winners photo. Perhaps Purple or Aknib had entered it.

I think to my humiliation it was only one of the two times I have been referred to it that paper. ( The other was a letter published)

I burnt red when I read of the " awful standard of one entry".

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Very professional. Almost Purple Peanuts standard.

Reminds me of an incident from my very early years of fishing.
I was very young perhaps 7 or 8.
Angling Times ran a float making competition. In my youthful naivety I decided to have a go. I submitted a couple. They were not up to your standard Mark.
When the results were published I was astounded at the finesse and shine on the winners photo. Perhaps Purple or Aknib had entered it.

I think to my humiliation it was only one of the two times I have been referred to it that paper. ( The other was a letter published)

I burnt red when I read of the " awful standard of one entry".
I would say the main words in your post are Almost. and Peanut.?

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
I think I have excelled myself this time, I have just the swim for this, there is a tree overhanging the far bank on the stretch of river I fish, I have had some small chub but I reckon there might be a wary big one hangs out under that tree, I don't want to put a weight in the tree and the splash might spook him., it is slow moving but hard to get a float to just go under it or right in front; I think this will hold the line and do the job. Now where's the droll brigade, stunned into silence!View attachment 13862
?

Ray Roberts

Reaction score

You know that horrible sick to the stomach feeling you get when you cast your; favourite irreplaceable float that you spent hours making to the highest possible standards into the branches of a tree on the opposite bank and the line snaps as you try to pull it free? Well at least you won’t have to feel that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

no-one in particular

Reaction score
You know that horrible sick to the stomach feeling you get when you cast your; favourite irreplaceable float that you spent hours making to the highest possible standards into the branches of a tree on the opposite bank and the line snaps as you try to pull it free? Well at least you won’t have to feel that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's true, I will just take some chip shop forks, scissors and some super glue with me and in 5 minutes I can stick another one together; bodges your uncle. But I do love this float, already my favourite.

I think I have achieved a superior float to the flute type, more surface area to size ratio than those, I will have better control of it and one big chub is coming out from under that tree come the 16th; its going to work so well then everyone will want one; but they will have to come to me as I have put in the patent. I was going to varnish it but I don't think I will bother, why make it shiny! And I am going to make another one with bigger flutes. This one I did break one a bit and had to make them smaller than I at first wanted. I am also experimenting with using feathers for the flutes, aka Purple design motif but he has not quite grasped it yet :).
I watched that video of a bloke making these, he had a lathe and all sorts of special tools, rasps, varnishes etc.. Took him all day, what a palaver.
Well, at least we are all having a laugh, poor old MarkC, I think he needs one, he should come to me for help, I have just the equipment to make him as right as rain; I could patch him up in no time. My consultancy fees are cheap as well Mark, get in touch.

Last edited:

rayner

Reaction score
I hope you're not being scathing calling some members droll brigade Mark. ?
All we offer is constructive criticism in a slightly humorous style. ;)
All I have to say concerning your lastest bodge is it has been made for a particular purpose. That gives it credit. ?

mikench

Reaction score
This was the broken weld on my chair in pic one and my bodged repair in pic two which lasted a couple of hours.

CFBC8664-D53B-4B7D-A860-31924313869F.jpeg
1B09EDAC-2245-49F4-838E-9107FE1E8249.jpeg

When it came away the other weld broke as well. I used JD Weld and câble ties. Did I say I wasn’t an engineer .

Dangler40

Reaction score
That's true, I will just take some chip shop forks, scissors and some super glue with me and in 5 minutes I can stick another one together; bodges your uncle. But I do love this float, already my favourite.

I think I have achieved a superior float to the flute type, more surface area to size ratio than those, I will have better control of it and one big chub is coming out from under that tree come the 16th; its going to work so well then everyone will want one; but they will have to come to me as I have put in the patent. I was going to varnish it but I don't think I will bother, why make it shiny! And I am going to make another one with bigger flutes. This one I did break one a bit and had to make them smaller than I at first wanted. I am also experimenting with using feathers for the flutes, aka Purple design motif but he has not quite grasped it yet :).
I watched that video of a bloke making these, he had a lathe and all sorts of special tools, rasps, varnishes etc.. Took him all day, what a palaver.
Well, at least we are all having a laugh, poor old MarkC, I think he needs one, he should come to me for help, I have just the equipment to make him as right as rain; I could patch him up in no time. My consultancy fees are cheap as well Mark, get in touch.
You are the Salvador Dali of the float making world Mr G. If it doesn't lure that big Chevin from under the tree ( although I don't think there's a big Chub out there that wouldn't be proud to pull that object of beauty under ) then give me a reminder and I'll ping a link over to you for a shotgun cartridge rig that would be right up your improvisational street ! :)

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score

I will stick with these thanks,
Wire stem and carbon and fibre glass stem
20210223_124240.jpg
if you would like some you can always come to me for advice.?
20210223_124505.jpg

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
You are the Salvador Dali of the float making world Mr G. If it doesn't lure that big Chevin from under the tree ( although I don't think there's a big Chub out there that wouldn't be proud to pull that object of beauty under ) then give me a reminder and I'll ping a link over to you for a shotgun cartridge rig that would be right up your improvisational street ! :)
I would have said more Picasso ( and I mean the car) than Salvador Dali.

Dangler40

Reaction score
He will see creative genius when I do the overwrap on a pole section , and method used.
His attempt on repairing a tip section looked as if Stevie Wonder had helped him.
A vet could have told what what dogs back leg it was modelled on.?
Don't let the green-eyed monster make a cynic of you mark, you are not seeing the bigger picture, it's abstract art ! :D

mikench

Reaction score
I can’t say having to opt for additional functions on the toolbar each time you make a post and only being able to download one set or the other is not an improvement in functionality in any way. If I’m doing something wrong please enlighten me.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
This was the broken weld on my chair in pic one and my bodged repair in pic two which lasted a couple of hours.

View attachment 13872View attachment 13873

When it came away the other weld broke as well. I used JD Weld and câble ties. Did I say I wasn’t an engineer .
Can you not get a sleeve made that will go over the welded part that came away and have it wider at the bottom so it can be drilled and pop riveted to cross member.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I hope you're not being scathing calling some members droll brigade Mark. ?
All we offer is constructive criticism in a slightly humorous style. ;)
All I have to say concerning your lastest bodge is it has been made for a particular purpose. That gives it credit. ?
Nah, of course not buddy, you know me , I like mixing up metaphors; everything is taken in good humour I assure you, water off a bit of duck tape:)

Last edited: