Your fascination with...

peterjg

Reaction score
Nottskev, re your post. I have his latest book, it's very good, thoroughly enjoyed it. I also have Braddock's book Fantastic Feeder Fishing, it's one of the books that I couldn't put down until I finished it. Braddock is one of those authors who actually knows what he is talking about.

nottskev

Reaction score
Nottskev, re your post. I have his latest book, it's very good, thoroughly enjoyed it. I also have Braddock's book Fantastic Feeder Fishing, it's one of the books that I couldn't put down until I finished it. Braddock is one of those authors who actually knows what he is talking about.

It's all real and practical with him. He did a talk in a room above a pub a while back, where he took us through the in's and out's of charting moon phases in the context of other variables like temperatures, levels, wind and so on, then put a selection of the barbel rigs he'd been using after dark earlier that week - it was November - on a table, with baits mounted on hooklengths etc, and invited us to have a look and ask whatever questions about the what's and why's. In between the main topics, his common talk is full of things he's tried, tested and measured. I remember him explaining which boillies break down at what rate and so need re-casting when, what to put in pastes to stop them going hard in cold water, how to flash crust in a toaster then freeze it to make it stay on better, ..... He started at 8pm. and only finished at 11pm when the landlord called time on us. He'll be 82, I think, at the start of this season.

Keith M

Reaction score
I bought some ‘sugar & spice’ flavour powder from Archie Braddocks about 35 years ago and it did work well when sprinkled over maggots. I think I may still have some left in my shed. I wonder if it still has its attraction, I suspect it still will.

Keith

Last edited:

peterjg

Reaction score
Knottskev, you mentioned Braddock charting the moon. I can confirm that even in daylight the moon does have an adverse effect on roach feeding - it does not effect my catches though because I still blank! Seriously though, it's all so very interesting!

Steve Arnold

Reaction score
Since the early days of my sea fishing I have a slight obsession with beachcasting rods. I met Leslie Moncrieff, who was a champion caster, when I was 18, I already knew Ian Gillespie and Nigel Forrest who were into lighweight rods and tournament casting respectively. Guess I was a youth of that era!

I have never had enough money to really indulge in the latest beach rods, but fortunately there are plenty that do. So I usually pick up rods at about two years old as the wealthier fashion followers move onto the next wonder nano-boron-kevlar- graphene etc,etc marketing ploy.

I sold most of my beach rods about 4 years ago before moving to France. I still have four and I have been trying to find a place to practise a few distance chucks. There are no bits of river that are wide enough near me! Even the fields are too small!

Despite being so remote from the sea I still dream of that perfect cast over a rolling surf

IMG_20200121_152951438_2 (1).jpg

Last edited:

laguna

Reaction score
Since the early days of my sea fishing I have a slight obsession with beachcasting rods. I met Leslie Moncrieff, who was a champion caster, when I was 18, I already knew Ian Gillespie and Nigel Forrest who were into lighweight rods and tournament casting respectively. Guess I was a youth of that era!

I have never had enough money to really indulge in the latest beach rods, but fortunately there are plenty that do. So I usually pick up rods at about two years old as the wealthier fashion followers move onto the next wonder nano-boron-kevlar- graphene etc,etc marketing ploy.

I sold most of my beach rods about 4 years ago before moving to France. I still have four and I have been trying to find a place to practise a few distance chucks. There are no bits of river that are wide enough near me! Even the fields are too small!

Despite being so remote from the sea I still dream of that perfect cast over a rolling surf

View attachment 8976

Beach casting dudes are a strange lot aren't they? I know a guy who spends far less time fishing than he does casting. Another guy I once dealt with who sells reel bearings and sponsors some of the worlds best distance casters... some of whom have never fished nor caught a fish in their lives!
Then there is me, a one time regular beach caster back in the 70's but I live much too far inland these days to test out my brand new, never used 12 year old rod (I have every intention of using it before I am unable to cast/walk/stand)... mine has fold down rod rings. In fact that's why I got it.

Last edited:

Steve Arnold

Reaction score
Beach casting dudes are a strange lot aren't they? I know a guy who spends far less time fishing than he does casting. Another guy I once dealt with who sells reel bearings and sponsors some of the worlds best distance casters... some of whom have never fished nor caught a fish in their lives!
Then there is me, a one time regular beach caster back in the 70's but I live much too far inland these days to test out my brand new, never used 12 year old rod (I have every intention of using it before I am unable to cast/walk/stand)... mine has fold down rod rings. In fact that's why I got it.

The first sea angling club I joined had a few regular tournament casters. I did go to one of the big competitions, just to watch and pick up tips.

For me it was all about the fishing! I could put a bait out well over 100 yds in almost any conditions. The big casters could get a few yards further, but in strong lateral tides their grapnel weights were pulled out whilst I fished on!

I was winning club matches whilst they were just showing off their casting skills!

About 5 years ago I was getting over sepsis which had nearly cost me my right hand. My wrist was permanently damaged but, despite the pain, I was determined to be able to cast a surf rod again. So I joined the Scottish Surfcasting Association - SSA to get some practise. Good bunch of blokes, some top casters there. Paul Johnstone gave me a lot of tips on setting up the fixed spool for distance.

Although I had been a long time multiplier reel user my wrecked wrist did not like them at all. A change to the fixed spool made a big difference and less pain.

Anyway, I found casting in a field quite therapeutic. Damned good exercise walking over a boggy field to retrieve your leads, exercise badly needed after the time I had spent in hospital!

Although I never got really competitive my casting distances went up from 120 yds to over 170 yds. My wrist got stronger, as did the rest of me!

I really got to enjoy these casting sessions, good company as well. Wish I had got into before the age of 62 :rolleyes:

laguna

Reaction score
I must admit I found casting in a field quite therapeutic too! :)
We also used tin cans for target practice at 50 yrds. We could cast further but we couldn't see the targets in the grass.