Your plans for Wednesday

Krang

Reaction score
Where will you be going? What will you be targeting when you get there?

I'm going to try to catch a zander on the oxford canal. Only ever caught one before and it was tiny. Really looking forward to it. Between now and then I'm going to look into what lures I might use. I'm thinking something with a good rattle in it might be effective. I'd be interested in any tips on the subject.

Will be so nice to get out on the water again. Just hope the weather improves a little. Its really windy here now.

rich66

Reaction score
Working Wednesday so it’ll be Thursday for me, planning to get there early and leave for around midday. I’ll be targeting fish! But be nice to get a tench.
I imagine my baits will sweetcorn, pellets and worms if I can find any. Probably take a couple of slices of bread for punch and some liquidised bread just in case

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
On Wednesday I will be thinking about how many "anglers" will be applauding on Thursday night for the nurses who may well be caring for them in a few days time . . .

One thing is for sure and that is I'll not be taking part in the reckless and foolish march of the lemmings towards water . . . . .

rayner

Reaction score
Regardless of any guidelines set by Government or any other advice-giver, I'll decide when it's safe for me to venture out never mind fish. Unlike most, I find it easy to stay home. A bit of fishing will be welcome but when I decide.

Krang

Reaction score
On Wednesday I will be thinking about how many "anglers" will be applauding on Thursday night for the nurses who may well be caring for them in a few days time . . .

One thing is for sure and that is I'll not be taking part in the reckless and foolish march of the lemmings towards water . . . . .

GrumpCrop.jpg

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I am going to see if I can renew my 3 club cards I have in oxford, get a rod licence, Will more than likely wait for the excited rush to die down and then find out where is fishing good and where isn't.
I am not going fishing because we are able to, I will go when I am good and ready to go.
Also got to make plans to go to Glossop to pick up a Shimano Beastmaster margin pole with spare kits,
But only when think it's safe to do so.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Where will you be going? What will you be targeting when you get there?

I'm going to try to catch a zander on the oxford canal. Only ever caught one before and it was tiny. Really looking forward to it. Between now and then I'm going to look into what lures I might use. I'm thinking something with a good rattle in it might be effective. I'd be interested in any tips on the subject.

Will be so nice to get out on the water again. Just hope the weather improves a little. Its really windy here now.

Try Deadbaits, get some sardines or Spratts from supermarket,
If you catch any zander,sling them up the bank, vermin and invasive species, EA says any invasive species must not be returned to the water, this also includes non native crayfish,

sam vimes

Reaction score
I should be waiting in for a bait delivery. If that happens early enough, I may venture to my syndicate. There's no mad rush though. There aren't enough members to actually fill it at the best (worst) of times. It's quite rare to have to fish within 100 yards of another angler.

xenon

Reaction score
Apart from being a bit slow off the mark introducing the lockdown, I think the government has by and large done OK. However to my mind this easing up is the first serious blunder they have made-far too soon given the numbers still infectious. I wont be going anywhere for another month at least.

Krang

Reaction score
Try Deadbaits, get some sardines or Spratts from supermarket,
If you catch any zander,sling them up the bank, vermin and invasive species, EA says any invasive species must not be returned to the water, this also includes non native crayfish,

Thanks I might try this. I don't usually deadbait but I guess I could mix it up a little. Soft plastics look to be the predominant method on YouTube. I bet american walleye methods will also work so will look into that next.

steve2

Reaction score
Why this mad rush to get back fishing anyone would think it's the be all and end all. I'll wait for the rivers to open if we are not back in lockdown due to people ignoring the rules.

John Keane

Reaction score
I’ll be fishing on Wednesday...

...Wednesday 1st July, which is plenty of time to see if it peaks again because the Great British Public decided they could do what the hell they liked on the advice of a buffoon!

Keith M

Reaction score
I should be waiting in for a bait delivery. If that happens early enough, I may venture to my syndicate. There's no mad rush though. There aren't enough members to actually fill it at the best (worst) of times. It's quite rare to have to fish within 100 yards of another angler.

Whether you are taking a chance by resuming fishing depends on where you can fish and how many other anglers you are likely to see, if any.

If you can fish remote peaceful places with very few footfalls, like Sam indicated above; then I think it would be quite safe to fish, or at least as safe as it was before the virus came on the scene.

I know of several club waters that are very remote and don’t see many anglers (if any), but most of them are on rivers and streams so I will most likely have to wait until the 16th June before I do decide to venture out again.

Although the recently stocked Tench in our private and remote estate lake keep calling me again and again :)

Keith

Last edited:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Last year (2019) the EA were electro fishing and removing zander from the Oxford canal and it is illegal to return them to the water once caught.

That works well because Zander are quite a tasty fish and where allowable are very good eating.

The fish is tastier than Pike and doesn't flake as much as pike either. The flesh is sweeter too, it pan fries and bakes well and takes flavours particularly citrus.

It was on nearly all menus in the Balkans and parts of Scandinavia too, as was Perch.

Nearly any recipe for white fish can be replicated with Zander . . .

nottskev

Reaction score
On Wednesday I'll be staying alert - to the realities of the situation we're in, and to the smoke and mirrors of the government's unravelling strategy. I won't be running across the road because I've heard the ice cream van.

I'm not assuming the places I'd consider going to, in the circumstances, are open, and I'll check that, and perhaps visit a couple of local places to see how many people are there and how the fishing, access, getting tickets etc is being managed. I've had a quick look at what's happening with local tackle shops. One will take orders for bait and give you a time for collection. Another is offering to deliver if you spend a certain amount - I might be out of their range; I'll see. Of course, there's always bread, pellets, seed and kitchen baits.

It's good to have the prospect of getting out again. But May 13th doesn't feel like the new June 16th while we're all still mired in this and the strategy for getting us through it and out so incoherent.

rayner

Reaction score
No sign of the fishery I frequent opening yet, I've checked the web site just to see.
Mind you I wouldn't be able to even if I wanted, I held back with my licence renewal. It may well not get renewed until the end of the year.

Aknib

Reaction score
I'll definitely be out on Wednesday...

To work!

Mixed feelings on that one if I'm honest but choice isn't an option so i'll be trying to keep my wits about me in how I work and taking the positives such as the regular change of scenery and some structure finally returning to life.

flightliner

Reaction score
I won't be out fishing on Wednesday. But, I will take advantage of being able to travel a little further if for nothing other than to have a change of scenery that the both of us will find refreshing.