Youtube fishing video.

Reaction score
I've just finished watching a video by a what sounds like an Eastern European guy,his channel goes under Andrews Knots,the video was about slider fishing in moving water for,bream,chub and barbel,I found it interesting,he seemed to know his stuff,although his fish care for barbel was a bit iffy and his landing net pole,poor,was enjoyable and worth a watch,from what I can see he has over 190 other videos on youtube,so something different....

silvers

Reaction score
Hi Whitty,

he’s definitely an advocate of using braid on rivers, whilst I find there is too much risk of wind knots.

he catches a few as well ... a gallon of maggots on the Trent in winter!

rayner

Reaction score
Alan, I had a look. His tactics were his, I will not pick any spots from how he performed, apart from his feeding was a little sketchy,
I waited until the handling of his barbel, which truthfully I didn't see a fault with.
He did the normal thing of keeping the fish out of the water too long in my opinion, that does seem OK with folk who take pictures of their catch.

theartist

Reaction score
Nowt wrong in taking photos of your catch if you can do it quickly. If you practise and have a set routine when you catch - knowing where to put the cam, knowing where to put the fish, you should be able to take a self take (or a series of self takes depending on your camera) in less time than it takes to weigh a fish

Reaction score
He weighed the fish in a dry weigh sling,he held the fish too far off the ground,as you said Gary it was out of the water far too long,the fish should be in the water,until ready to photograph,weigh etc,I personally revive them and get them sitting upright after each operation. As for feeding,he fed three or four pouches of maggots then had several trots,not something I'd do for chub so much,but barbel,bream,carp I would at times,it is particularly effective if you are being pestered by small fish,roach,dace etc,on rivers and stillwaters,seven pints of maggots is a lot,but he didn't say he used them all,braid,I wouldn't use it myself,but for all that I found it interesting and he did catch a few. :)

rayner

Reaction score
I could see his thinking, feeding a bed of maggot to keep fish on the bottom. What was dodgier was his casting, he cast at least a couple of metres past his feed from what I saw.
The water only looked around 7 or 8 feet deep, which to my mind is far from deep enough to fish a slider.
I know we all fish different, here has to be a simple starting point, and that's fishing over your feed, times happen where fishing around your feed can poach the odd fish. Fishing over feed from the start is always best. Photographing fish is a strange one I'm not in favour if it's anyone's thing that's OK they should just think about how they do it.

Last edited:

Reaction score
I think he stated it was around ten or eleven feet deep Gary,think he said it in metres,I agree with his casting,whether he mended the line and brought it onto his feed line I dont know,you couldnt see the float when it had trotted ten yards,or I couldn't lol....

rayner

Reaction score
On the clip, when he was baiting his hook. I could see his slider knot, it looked around 4 feet to his float, then similar to his hook. I lost his float after the cast, I never saw him tighten the line.

Reaction score
Didn't really look at his stop knot Gary,just took his word for the depth...

Reaction score
I have just watched a video about barbel fishing on a rising river Severn,never seen such a load of rubbish,firstly why does an angler sit 6m from their rods,secondly why use a tripod for barbel,unless you peg it down,this person had a three foot twitch on the right hand rod(downstream),the rod pulled the tripod over pulling his left hand rod to the ground too,then rather than pick up the rod with the bite,he picked up the tripod,what a complete numpty,surely some thought should be given before you cast a line,or am I being a little ott....

Last edited:

nottskev

Reaction score
I'm as mystified as you Alan. It's the dominant style on the middle and tidal Trent. Too remote and detached for my taste, but many have got this carbelling down and catch a lot. I don't want to fish from the top of the floodbank - I like to be as close to the water as possible, where you feel plugged in to the river.. I prefer to have as little on the line as I can get away with. We had a rare spell of high water a while back, with nearly 3' on. I went to speak to a bloke along the bank - we were fishing more or less the same nearside crease - and I looked at his feeder and asked what he had on. 5 oz. I had 5 swan. We caught about the same number. I see the logic of the carbelling style - two rods double your chances, big feeders solve all your presentation problems whatever the weather, sitting up top by your van has its creature comforts, you can do it at night pretty well as easily as day............ You can't knock it, but it's not for me.

Reaction score
Fishing for barbel on a rising river by Mark T-an average angler.....
The guy in the video is fishing on a comfortable bit of bank with the water not too far below him,the tripod is a crazy idea unless you peg it down,as the bite he gets shows perfectly,below average intelligence angler it should read,every time I fish a swim, particularly for barbel I decide where im intending to net said fish,I would NEVER sit away from my rod,in fact if you see me barbel fishing my hand is within a foot of the butt of my rod,actually a foot from my reel stem,unless im reaching for something in my bag,or similar.if im sitting up the bank then my rod is there too...

Last edited:

John Aston

Reaction score
I must admit I find nearly all UK based fishing videos terribly dull. Often very amateurishly done, with terrible sound (cue wind bluster )and gratuitously awful music - either keening folk guitar or tiresome generic rock.

I watch a lot of US stuff - I love the sun, the colours and the enormous fish. One guy I enjoy is Fishaholic - he light lure fishes from a kayak off the coast of the Carolinas and Florida, and watching him fight violently active fish like tarpon and snapper is great fun . The US approach to fish care is not like ours , so sensitive souls should avoid . Anyway , in my book it sure beats watching somebody droning on about shotting patterns on some windswept drain

mikench

Reaction score
The only patterns I'm familiar with are those with an extra o and one less t. ?

Last edited:

Philip

Reaction score
Anyway , in my book it sure beats watching somebody droning on about shotting patterns on some windswept drain

I am literally gob smacked you didnt crowbar a derogatory Carp fishing reference !

Well done that man ! I applaud you ! :LOL:

Keith M

Reaction score
Fishing certainly isn’t a spectator sport, that’s for sure. Watching someone fishing on its own can be really boring.

The video needs to be entertaining (or educational) and very well presented, and preferably made in venues that are close enough for me to visit (not the other side of the planet); watching videos of people catching bass or bonefish or some other species of fish from other places around the globe just doesn’t interest me at all; and neither does watching boring old Fred Blogs Carp fishing with his bivvies and alarms, or match fishing (unless it’s a match like the golden maggot which was great fun and very entertaining both for Angler’s and non Angler’s when it was shown on TV :)).

Keith

Last edited:

Reaction score
I quite enjoy fishing videos,of all disciplines,but they have to be fishing pretty well from my viewpoint,ive been watching a guy trout fishing recently,at Lechlade,Rockbourne,Dever Spring and Avington,quite interesting,though he has been fishing lures from what ive seen,though he seems to think stalking bugs arent lures,but,gold sparkling heavily weighted flies with copper look like lures to me...?

Another Dave

Reaction score
I've watched a few of the Andrew's Knots videos and he's clearly a good angler and I've picked up one or two tips. But I found his voice a bit weird which ultimately became offputting.