Zig Rigs

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

Instead of a float controller, you use a normal lead setup with a long hooklength. To fish with the bait on the surface, the hooklength need?s to be set to the depth of the water you?re fishing.
I tend to fish with the bait between two feet & two inches from the surface. If your hooklength is so long that it?s awkward to cast, it can be carefully folded & tied with PVA string. Once in the lake, the string dissolves and your bait floats up, extending the hooklength. Can be very useful when you want to fish a floating bait at range.

I'll sort you one out monday Noddy!

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
Murray, just in case Mr Sensitive dosen't mention it, put some careful consideration towards your striking if you get a bite. Think about the position of your lead and set-up to your hook and hookbait. One to think about thats all matey!

Murray Rogers

Reaction score
Been down today for a look. Half the lake is stiff but I still saw 2 head and shoulder, I'm gonna need the Zig. Anyone got any cute Zig rigs, or is Warren actually telling the truth for once?

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
Nice and simple mate ok? Take one of your float rods with you, stick a plumet on and cast to where you wish to fish. Mark mthe depth then reel back in. Put your carp rod along the bank and compare depths then set your carp rip two foot under depth (or whatever has been advised).

Rig; for get tubing or anything like that. Just take end of line and thread through your lead-eye. Carry on with end of line and tie on your hooklength. Add to this your-pop-up bait and your'e away. Then mark your line with a swan shot or float stop in front of the ;lead so the float stop/swan shot stops the pop-up from reachimng the surface. Use a heavy lead to maintain direct contact from hook to reel in that you don't want a light lead moving along the bottom giving slow indoication when a heavy lead will stay put and line will pull through directly to your reel.

Keep an eye on the striking in that you'll have a fair amount of line to retrieve between you and the hook. (depending on depth of water etc). This my friend is a 'keep-it-simple' zig rig and hope it helps. As Warren sayd, use PVA tape to tie the lot together in case of tangles via casting, alternatively, pop the lot in a PVA bag.

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
The striking into the fish will be totally different in that the angles will all up the wall. Thats what I meant when I said think about it matey.

S

Stu Black

Stu,
if i'm reading that right, how would a fish get rid of the lead/hooklength if you snapped off above the lead?

B

Bob Watson

Just a thought chaps! On water I used to be a member that was very shallow, 2ft max in some places. I used to fish crust on the top in a way similair to the zig rig.
You got pestered with birds going for the crust so I fished a running ledger stopped by a small ledger stop a few inches from the hook. After casting in I backwound the bait to the surface. No tether and easy to get out of way of birds without recasting all the time.
Dont know if boilies would be bouyant enough to drag line up through ledger though. Perhaps pva'ing a bit of cork to the hook and being quick with winding bait up???

D

Dave Rothery

stu b
i read it the same, then realised you tightened against the stop - the stops determining the height, rather than letting the line go slack until it hits the stop, ie its you, then lead, then shot. thats why you might have to pva hooklength

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
Bob, I've seen Cakey execute a similar process with bread - although hate to say it, it was materful the way he avoided the wildlife when they neared.

Cheers Dave..

B

Bob Watson

Stu, would it work with boiles?
Thinking about my previous, forget the cork, it may be eaten. How about that spongey stuff that melts?

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
Deffo Bob,

Stu, the easist way of describing how this would work would be a comparison to when you use your marker float. I wouldn't put a bobin or swinger on though, just lay the rod on the buzzer, tighten up and thats it. If you use a heavy lead then you're not going to get any drop-backs, just screamers - think about it?

D

Dave Rothery

would it be so bad if they ate the cork? all fish ingest all sorts of bits of gravel, twigs etc when they eat. if a carp can pass a swan mussell.....
use an old pop up? microwave a load of bottom bait for 10 mins? wrap in a lump of bread.
ps. dissolving foam.....see you local computer shop....;)

S

Stu Black

Ahaha, thats actually the way I fish the zigrig, on a running lead. Sorry about the misunderstanding and thanks for clearing it up!

S

Stu Black

except without a stop... i just pull (measured) line back and stick it on the rests