Zoom compact camera

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I am thinking of getting a compact zoom camera, can you get more than 8* zoom on a compact camera and/or can you get a zoom lens that will fit onto one and any advice on the best one. Thanks.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Actually I just bought one, a compact Panasonic with a 30* zoom and a 60* digital zoom. I went in the local camera shop and looked at about 3 and the girl explained it all to me. It fits in my pocket easily which is what I was after but still with a decent zoom so I can ditch the bigger bridge camera I have been using, its been OK but wanted something easier to carry around.. The nice thing with this one is you can look at the screen or hold it up to your eye for an actual visual, it automatically switches to that from screen when you do it; I don't always like those screens and holding it up to the eye helps steady it as well when your zooming in. The lady said the 60* digital zoom would not be as good a picture as using the 30* zoom but tried it out and couldn't really see much difference, my bridge camera had 42* zoom so I got a bit more. Cost £250 with the memory card etc. so a lot to me but, thought I would treat myself with money saved during lockdown.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Having a practice with my new compact camera, this iconic shot taken from about 500yds.+. Could be sharper but maybe it will improve as I get more used to it. Pleased overall, especially with the eye view finder although, the image is a bit smaller than on the screen so, sometimes a bit more difficult to find the shot.
P1000026.JPG

mikench

Reaction score
The trouble with any zoom lens is camera shake at high resolutions if you do not use a tripod. Optical zoom is vastly superior to digital. Practice makes perfect. A good quality tripod is worth buying but that's more gear to carry. The camera may have a multiple exposure feature where 5 images are taken when the button is pressed at exposures either side of your setting which gives you the chance of a clean pic properly exposed.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
The trouble with any zoom lens is camera shake at high resolutions if you do not use a tripod. Optical zoom is vastly superior to digital. Practice makes perfect. A good quality tripod is worth buying but that's more gear to carry. The camera may have a multiple exposure feature where 5 images are taken when the button is pressed at exposures either side of your setting which gives you the chance of a clean pic properly exposed.
I have a tripod for when I get serious Mike, if I know I am going out to get something specific. I will have a look for that 5 exposure feature, I have not read all through the instructions, it may feature it. Thanks

mikench

Reaction score
Mark the feature us called bracketing. It's either 3 or 5 exposures and some cameras like my Sony give you the option.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Mark the feature us called bracketing. It's either 3 or 5 exposures and some cameras like my Sony give you the option.
Nope can't find it Mike in the instruction index, I don't think it has this option, shame because it sounds a good idea. There are still lots of features for me to work out yet although the auto setting works fine for me.

seth49

Reaction score
I carry a small Panasonic compact camera in my fishing waistcoat, for catch shots etc, it has a 20x optical zoom, and a 40x digital zoom, it has a Leica lens as well, and shoots HD video as well as stills, it’s a good little camera and takes decent photos as well, just uses the screen for a viewfinder, no other option.

It’s ideal for when I’m fishing, and I have my big Panasonic bridge camera for when I’m walking or bird watching.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I carry a small Panasonic compact camera in my fishing waistcoat, for catch shots etc, it has a 20x optical zoom, and a 40x digital zoom, it has a Leica lens as well, and shoots HD video as well as stills, it’s a good little camera and takes decent photos as well, just uses the screen for a viewfinder, no other option.

It’s ideal for when I’m fishing, and I have my big Panasonic bridge camera for when I’m walking or bird watching.
This is Panasonic, a bit more zoom, 30 +60 digital. It has Leica lens as well Seth, I assume that is good. The nice thing with this one is you can hold up to your eye to view through the viewfinder and it automatically switches to that mode however, it is a bit small image, like looking through a pair of binoculars the wrong end but I am getting the hang of it and those screens dont always work for me especially in sunlight and it is a bit steadier in the viewfinder mode.. I am practicing taking bird shots with it, I can't say it is more difficult than the bridge camera but I do need to practice a bit more and get used to it. The great thing for me is I can carry it about all day without it being a burden. I have yet to take fish shots but that shouldn't be a problem. All in all I am pleased I have bought it, had a small windfall and have not wasted the money, so far - Might yet spot a bit of tasty garden cane though.:)

Keith M

Reaction score
I still take my old Cannon compact camera with me when I’m fishing because it also has an eye viewfinder so can be held up to the eye to frame the picture. This is an invaluable extra especially on bright sunlit days when looking at a screen on the back of the camera is virtually impossible.

Cannon stopped doing the eye viewfinders on their later compact models and my cannon is getting a bit old, so I might have a look at the compact camera that Mark has in time for my birthday.

Keith

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I still take my old Cannon compact camera with me when I’m fishing because it also has an eye viewfinder so can be held up to the eye to frame the picture. This is an invaluable extra especially on bright sunlit days when looking at a screen on the back of the camera is virtually impossible.

Cannon stopped doing the eye viewfinders on their later compact models and my cannon is getting a bit old, so I might have a look at the compact camera that Mark has in time for my birthday.

Keith
This is the one I got Keith, there are other in the range like the tz71