For the introduction of non-lethal means of control of the Otter

sam vimes

Reaction score
No but that's the key to this debate , there is so much fake news and hearsay concerning otters.
I would sooner believe something that has been properly researched than the opinions of celebrity anglers.

Interesting article here concerning mink and their diet

The only let down here is that the article is written by Germaine Greer, who has taken the advice of a couple of unspecified blokes. Whilst I wouldn't necessarily question the conclusions reached, it's no more authoritative than the celebrity anglers.

Mink will eat anything they can get hold of. However, they spend far more time hunting on dry land than they do in water. Likewise, otters are similarly opportunistic. However, they spend more of their time hunting in the water. I see both otter and mink very regularly. It's invariably the case that the otters are in the water for 75% of my sightings. The mink will be on dry land for 75% of the sightings. The other difference is that otters are significantly bigger animals. They can take significantly bigger fish and birds than mink can manage.

Last edited:

bennygesserit

Reaction score
The only let down here is that the article is written by Germaine Greer, who has taken the advice of a couple of unspecified blokes. Whilst I wouldn't necessarily question the conclusions reached, it's no more authoritative than the celebrity anglers.

Mink will eat anything they can get hold of. However, they spend far more time hunting on dry land than they do in water. Likewise, otters are similarly opportunistic. However, they spend more of their time hunting in the water. I see both otter and mink very regularly. It's invariably the case that the otters are in the water for 75% of my sightings. The mink will be on dry land for 75% of the sightings. The other difference is that otters are significantly bigger animals. They can take significantly bigger fish and birds than mink can manage.

Rereading what I said I can see why you inferred what you did.
I didn't mean to say that the article was anything other than interesting certainly I did not mean to infer it was definitive.

Interesting that mink may be more likely to kill indiscriminately , that may be why half eaten fish are found.
Though when a fish dies, for whatever reason , its going to become carrion for lots of animals.

thecrow

Reaction score
No but that's the key to this debate , there is so much fake news and hearsay concerning otters.
I would sooner believe something that has been properly researched than the opinions of celebrity anglers.

Interesting article here concerning mink and their diet

Benny I have no doubt about mink and the damage they do we had them in the area I live and sometimes fish over 30 years ago after they made their way here from the place where the idiots released them.

The Germaine Greer article I have already seen and read and I have no reason to disbelieve what she says, however she has
reported an incident she has witnessed which is no different to an angler or a member of the public reporting what they have seen. If you would sooner believe properly researched opinions then find some but please don't use what Germaine Greer said she saw as properly researched material as it isn't.

I could counter your argument by saying that what she said was hearsay, she has no evidence to show no video of mink killing her fish and its pretty obvious that she is anti angling from this piece taken from the article Killing fish for fun is a human speciality like I said I you believe what you want, me I will continue to believe other anglers that I know that are far from being "celebrity anglers" and the evidence of my own eyes.

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Benny I have no doubt about mink and the damage they do we had them in the area I live and sometimes fish over 30 years ago after they made their way here from the place where the idiots released them.

The Germaine Greer article I have already seen and read and I have no reason to disbelieve what she says, however she has
reported an incident she has witnessed which is no different to an angler or a member of the public reporting what they have seen. If you would sooner believe properly researched opinions then find some but please don't use what Germaine Greer said she saw as properly researched material as it isn't.

I could counter your argument by saying that what she said was hearsay, she has no evidence to show no video of mink killing her fish and its pretty obvious that she is anti angling from this piece taken from the article Killing fish for fun is a human speciality like I said I you believe what you want, me I will continue to believe other anglers that I know that are far from being "celebrity anglers" and the evidence of my own eyes.

As previously stated I thought the article was interesting not definitive.

I was involved in setting up a web cam for some nesting peregrines , there had to be a degree of secrecy about it as pigeon fanciers hate these falcons.

I see the attitude of some anglers to otters in rivers being the same.

thecrow

Reaction score
As previously stated I thought the article was interesting not definitive.

I was involved in setting up a web cam for some nesting peregrines , there had to be a degree of secrecy about it as pigeon fanciers hate these falcons.

I see the attitude of some anglers to otters in rivers being the same.

Now your being daft, perhaps you should join the BS to see who are to be involved in research and conservation but then you don't fish rivers do you?

The bad one

Reaction score
There's a set of words that should never appear in the same sentence..... BS to see who are to be involved in research and conservation.:noidea::noidea:

The bad one

Reaction score
Does a lot of the ragman's trumpeting, given I'm on his ignore list.....allegedly. An we all know where the Ragman finished up with his trumpet stuck!

The bad one

Reaction score
And if he doesn't see it, how does the ragman know the post is about him? Unless the ragman's ego is that big he thinks the whole site revolves around him? :attention:Of course it could just be that the man's and internet bully, who puts up silly pictures of himself every time a person he claims to be ignoring posts anything.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Try putting someone on ignore and you'll see. Essentially, you can tell that the individual has posted, but not read the text, unless you click to temporarily waive the block. If someone quotes the ignored poster, you'll see what he posted despite not being able to see the original post.

thecrow

Reaction score
you can tell that the individual has posted, but not read the text, unless you click to temporarily waive the block.

Which I don't do, never will do and have no interest in what's said to make me want to, the ignore facility is a very handy thing, there are only 2 people on it and I would far rather ignore them than get embroiled in petty arguments that achieve nothing, it leaves me free to converse with others who's posts I am interested because no matter how long one has been at this game no one and I mean no one knows it all, everyone can still learn but to learn one needs an open mind, I think this quote says it all.

Those who think they know it all have no way of finding out they don't..

Leo Buscaglia

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Moderation note:

This thread is now veering far too close to insults and far away from its original intentions that is now very near to being closed.

thecrow

Reaction score
Moderation note:

This thread is now veering far too close to insults and far away from its original intentions that is now very near to being closed.

Insults are what prompted me to use the ignore facility.

Otter are a very emotive subject that splits anglers into those that don't believe there is a problem, those that think there is a problem and those that know there is a problem, all have their reasons for how their opinions are formed what is very important is that with otter there is no one size fits all area's or rivers in this country.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
We are simply not going to have "Otter Wars" here on FM Graham as we lived through too many 'Barbel Wars' to ever allow such things again.

You are right on one point however, and that is that the otter question is a very emotive one.

However, I strongly doubt if anyone so far has changed ther mind over the issue, or the petition, based on the discussions to date.

thecrow

Reaction score
When does a creature cease to be on the endangered list? is there a formula for working out how many animals per acre of land or per mile of river bank are needed in order that the animal is no longer considered endangered?

fishface1

Reaction score
Of coarse they don't kill Swans do they?

That's a North American otter. Slightly larger than ours.

Not saying they don't kill swans... But they certainly don't kill as many swans as other swans do....

Sent from my A1-810 using Tapatalk

thecrow

Reaction score
That's a North American otter. Slightly larger than ours.

Not saying they don't kill swans... But they certainly don't kill as many swans as other swans do....

Sent from my A1-810 using Tapatalk

Didn't know that, the fact remains that these creatures are not as cuddly as the public think.