How did you get on?

peterjg

Reaction score
Tee Cee, I'm glad that you are feeling a bit better. Keep up the good work with those roach!

thecrow

Reaction score
Fished yesterday on what was a quite chilly morning, forecast was for a North East wind so set up in a swim that would be out of t he wind unfortunately the forecast was wrong as the wind was more Easterly than anything.

Was getting no bites so a move was needed, its easy to move using my scooter so off I went to a swim out of the wind.

4lb Sensor through to 2-5 supplex hook length size 12s and my longest sarkanda waggler which including the tip is around 10", using hot and spicy spam as bait feeding mostly hemp but now and then some 4mm pellets.

All was going well and I had caught 6 Tench when I lost 2 in the swim which killed it dead, this was the best looking of the 6

Keith M

Reaction score
using hot and spicy spam as bait

Was that the hot & Spicey spam that Lidl sells? I use it quite a lot for Barbel although I haven’t used it for Tench or Carp yet, but it’s nice to see that the Tench are partial to it too.

Nice fishing

Keith

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Fished yesterday on what was a quite chilly morning, forecast was for a North East wind so set up in a swim that would be out of t he wind unfortunately the forecast was wrong as the wind was more Easterly than anything.

Was getting no bites so a move was needed, its easy to move using my scooter so off I went to a swim out of the wind.

4lb Sensor through to 2-5 supplex hook length size 12s and my longest sarkanda waggler which including the tip is around 10", using hot and spicy spam as bait feeding mostly hemp but now and then some 4mm pellets.

All was going well and I had caught 6 Tench when I lost 2 in the swim which killed it dead, this was the best looking of the 6

Well done Graham :).
Is that your usual water where they have a barbless only rule? Just curious as that tenches mouth is smashed bud.

Another Dave

Reaction score
Fished the local pond for 2.5 hours trying to get a tench. I was terrible at hitting the bites, or my setup was wrong, either way i felt like a noob.

I was saved from a complete blank by this little 3oz fellow, probably a goldie but i thought i'd better run the pic past the forum's crucian police anyway:

DE5_JNvj.jpg

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
crucian, goldie? Doesn’t matter to me, just a lovely fish.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Goldfish have less than 30 scales along the lateral line. Crucians have 32 - 35 scales along the lateral line. Looks a good un to me. Also no sign of barbules.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

thecrow

Reaction score
Was that the hot & Spicey spam that Lidl sells?

I get mine from B.M. Keith but I do know that home bargains sometimes have it as do Asda but theirs is usually more expensive, I have caught 6 different species on it so far. I didn't know that Lidl sold it so that's another place I shall be visiting in search of it :)

Another Dave

Reaction score
I used to fish this pond many years ago for the feral goldies, they were half orange and half black. It's quite near to a housing estate so there were quite a few in there. I just assumed this was one of their descendants.

Last edited:

thecrow

Reaction score
Is that your usual water where they have a barbless only rule? Just curious as that tenches mouth is smashed bud.

Yes it is but all the clubs waters are barbless only. What it does show is that even when using barbless (if they do I have never seen the bailiff check) some are cack handed, my thoughts are that not all are adhering to the barbless rule.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I get mine from B.M. Keith but I do know that home bargains sometimes have it as do Asda but theirs is usually more expensive, I have caught 6 different species on it so far. I didn't know that Lidl sold it so that's another place I shall be visiting in search of it :)
I think luncheon meat is a very under rated bait.

I have had some nice fish on it in recent seasons.

I dice it and give it a liberal coating of Lo-Salt. Then I pop it in a bag with a glug of "The Source" liquid. I give it a good shake and chuck it in the freezer. It seems to give it an edge over plain baits. I use Lo-Salt on sweetcorn and rolled bread for punch as well as with hemp for loose feed.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It’s been written before but I can’t find it, what’s the attraction in Lo-salt in particular Ray?

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
After wasting the morning and a good part of the afternoon waiting for the heating wally to arrive to tell me what i already knew the diverter vale is stuffed ( Ideal Isar boiler whats new)

i finally got out on the local canal tow path side today instead of my more normal fence hopping side fished 4' 6" with 2.5 lb line to a 20 hook and a small 4no 4 reed using a Cheaper Lineaeffe exp Carbo Match 9 foot rod a bit on the heavy side but a nice rod all the same my fave goto rod for my local cut , had roach after roach after roach nothing notably big 3/4 lb i would say was the biggest but they came out a fish a chuk for a solid 2.5 hours just using single white maggot on the hook .
So after sitting around wasting time all morning it turned out well ... looks like the weekend is going to be rubbish ...

PG ...