When we return to fishing...

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I’m with Whitty on this. The argument is based on people being responsible and sensible, we all know there will be some that are anything but.

I keep seeing on Facebook etc the argument “it’s a lot safer fishing alone than going to the supermarket”

In my mind that’s just a selfish view “I won’t do harm to anyone fishing alone” yes, quite true but please see the bigger picture, and by the way there is a difference between shopping for vital food and fishing.

Philip

Reaction score
Its anyone’s guess under what constraints fishing will be allowed again but what i would say is that its one of the those situation where I think its infinitely better to put forward proposals rather than wait for them to be imposed.

Angling is going to be a long long way down the list of things that those in charge will be thinking about and I suspect that unless someone suggests something it will just be bundled in with others outdoor pursuits with one size fits all rules that no one will be happy about.

This is the moment for organizations like the Angling trust to come forward and suggest how angling could start up again. I suspect that if they make a half decent proposal those in charge will gobble it up straight away as it takes one more thing off their plate.

Last edited:

d.owens

Reaction score
Holland is still allowing people to fish, probably as they have a lot fewer Covid cases. I envisage our return will be run along the same lines the Dutch have in place now. Only fishing alone, a minimum distance apart from others on the bank, and no matches.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
It will, I think, depend in many cases on how brave the controlling clubs are. Though there are places I frequent where its rareto see another angler or they are easily avoided other places are very busy....albeit not everyone there is an angler.

And the point made about petrols stations, tackle shops etc is a valid one. This bloody thing is random, mindless and indiscriminate. I would rather wait a bit longer than be let out too soon and have to suffer all this again.

I honestly do not understand why anybody is even contemplating lifting the current lockdown at the moment. The way some eejits are talking you'd think we were on top of it....we bloody arent.

d.owens

Reaction score
Every special interest group will have reasons why their sport or pastime should be allowed to restart, we can cite that fishing can be done in solitude, hillwalkers the same. I like playing badminton and could point out how easily people could socially distance while playing. The bottom line is that everything would require us to travel somewhere, leading to unnecessary contact and risk. Everyone is struggling but hopefully the consensus will be that its it's preferable to be deprived of pursuing our interests a bit longer than being dead, or endangering our loved ones.

Reaction score
Every special interest group will have reasons why their sport or pastime should be allowed to restart, we can cite that fishing can be done in solitude, hillwalkers the same. I like playing badminton and could point out how easily people could socially distance while playing. The bottom line is that everything would require us to travel somewhere, leading to unnecessary contact and risk. Everyone is struggling but hopefully the consensus will be that its it's preferable to be deprived of pursuing our interests a bit longer than being dead, or endangering our loved ones.

I agree with the early part of the above post,it just continues to show the selfish attitude of people,taking a hundred bog rolls,a hundred tins of beans etc,wanting like my neighbours to flout the restrictions(which are law)and sit in the car park attracting other muppets like flies around sh1t,why,seems to me they think they know more than scientists and virologists,odd that,I reckon it must be a symptom of the virus,surely these idiots must believe its all a bad dream and there aren't really hundreds of people dying of covid-19. If anglers were so sensible,why do some leave litter everywhere,maybe because they are morons like the rest.

Reaction score
Been using anti-bac wipes for re-fuelling since this **** started, I'd be more "isolated" fishing than at home. Infection rates rise by close contact, seen any clips from people (including emergency services), purportedly supporting the NHS on Thursday nights? Don't see a lot of distancing in quite a few of them!

Apparently covid survives on many substances for up to three days,having gloves on is great,but you have to remember not to rub anything else with the gloves,or brush past anything with your clothing,what your doing reduces opportunities for the virus,stop it,not a chance,we are not robots,one slip is all it takes sadly...

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I still do not understand this what your saying unless I have miss- understood something and got it wrong. Angling does not have to be allowed, it is not disallowed now, if it comes under whatever new restricted measures are put in place when the lock-down rules are started to be lifted, we can go fishing, the same for all activities. It has nothing to do with the Angling Trust or clubs unless they want to carry on imposing their own restrictions. The angling trust can't insist on separate rules for anglers over walkers, horse riders etc. The Government do not have the time to apply separate rules for all the hundreds of different groups nor should their time be wasted in expecting them to; like they haven't got enough to deal with.

Last edited:

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I find it amzang how many more cyclists there are about....some of whom I suggest havent been within 2 miles let alone 2 metres of a bike until a month ago. They are a bloody nuisance....all over the road,pavement and woods....usually with 3 or 4 kid wobbling along beside.

I do get a bit hacked off when these lyrcra louts get to carry on doing their thing when I cant carryon doing mine.....and I make no apologies for offending any cyclists on here. I just dont like the attitude of the majority of cyclists

steve2

Reaction score
I still find it unbelievable that that there are still those on here that with 16000 dead and another 600 plus a day dying can only think about their selves and going fishing again.
If we can’t fish again till next year or two does it really matter. There are NHS workers and others out there dying while trying to save your life.

Aknib

Reaction score
I would like to clarify that the intention of this thread was to discuss the process of how we might get back out on the banks in due course and a process is likely, imo, to be required when that time comes.

The thread itself is in no way a whinge platform at why we can't go fishing and it's not an attempt to establish a case for bringing forward a date for doing so before it is absolutely safe to do so and within the government regulations at the point when we can eventually get back out again.

Individual opinions within the thread, and which may stray from the point during the natural course of discussion, are just that and whilst I respect them I don't necessarily agree with them.

I just wanted to clear up any misunderstandings and avoid any future ones, at least where my own opinion lies on the matter.

mikench

Reaction score
One thing is clear, namely anglers , golfers, etc are not special cases yet the cyclists seem to be and are unaffected by the lockdown donning their Lycra and enjoying empty roads. It's a hobby and should be treated like all others.

Like everyone on here save for PH( b******:rolleyes:) i will bide my time and wait until we can all go fishing.

d.owens

Reaction score
I find it amzang how many more cyclists there are about....some of whom I suggest havent been within 2 miles let alone 2 metres of a bike until a month ago. They are a bloody nuisance....all over the road,pavement and woods....usually with 3 or 4 kid wobbling along beside.

I do get a bit hacked off when these lyrcra louts get to carry on doing their thing when I cant carryon doing mine.....and I make no apologies for offending any cyclists on here. I just dont like the attitude of the majority of cyclists

Ok, I'll bite!
I agree that lots of cyclists (and joggers) seem to have appeared out of nowhere lately.
Terms like "lycra louts" tell me all I need to know. Cycling is allowed and if you don't like that, tough. It is used to take exercise and as a form of transport; both acceptable under current guidance. What is the attitude of "the majority of cyclists?" I'm a cyclist, my kids don't wobble when riding, they have been taught to ride safely and, importantly, with courtesy when on shared paths used by pedestrians. This describes the majority of people o know. These pedestrians often have earphones on or stare at phones, totally unaware of their surroundings. My local cycle path is full of dog walkers, often with headphones on and extending leads across the width of the cycle lane or allowing dogs to run free; Lurcher louts?
The hatred of cyclists is real and riders just have to live with that. Some people on bikes are irresponsible idiots, as are some pedestrians and car drivers.
Do you clap for NHS and keyworkers on Thursdays? Many of us chose to go to work on our bikes, and could well be one of those lycra lotus that blight your life so much, on our non-polluting and healthy commute. Sorry about that.

john step

Reaction score
Well said. I will bite too. I am a motorist. I am a cyclist. I am an angler.
Percentage wise I would estimate there are more **** head motorists that cyclists. Should we berate all motorists because a sizeable minority cause death and carnage by stupidity like mobile phone use when driving or speeding.

As for anglers. You only have to see the litter that some leave behind. Ban them.
Oh and dont get me started on all those disgusting dog walkers who leave little parcels on the pavement. Oh but I always clear it up. Wrong..someone doesn't. Ban dogs.

Oh yes its called humanity and live and let live a bit??????????

d.owens

Reaction score
I would like to clarify that the intention of this thread was to discuss the process of how we might get back out on the banks in due course and a process is likely, imo, to be required when that time comes.

The thread itself is in no way a whinge platform at why we can't go fishing and it's not an attempt to establish a case for bringing forward a date for doing so before it is absolutely safe to do so and within the government regulations at the point when we can eventually get back out again.

Individual opinions within the thread, and which may stray from the point during the natural course of discussion, are just that and whilst I respect them I don't necessarily agree with them.

I just wanted to clear up any misunderstandings and avoid any future ones, at least where my own opinion lies on the matter.

Apologies for my part in diverting the thread, felt the need to clarify that angling cannot be classed in the same manner as cycling, which is a form of transportation, not just a pastime.
I'm itching to get fishing again but honestly fail to see how it can be allowed before other sports or hobbies, many of which will claim they are safer than other things. It's just not going to happen, and rightly so.

Reaction score
Well said. I will bite too. I am a motorist. I am a cyclist. I am an angler.
Percentage wise I would estimate there are more **** head motorists that cyclists. Should we berate all motorists because a sizeable minority cause death and carnage by stupidity like mobile phone use when driving or speeding.

As for anglers. You only have to see the litter that some leave behind. Ban them.
Oh and dont get me started on all those disgusting dog walkers who leave little parcels on the pavement. Oh but I always clear it up. Wrong..someone doesn't. Ban dogs.

Oh yes its called humanity and live and let live a bit??????????

Incorrect,as at present there is no live and let live,cycling is exercise,but like joggers its an excuse to be out longer than you should be,human nature is,or seems to be taking advantage of everything you can,maybe thats why this virus appeared,to rid the world of us....

Reaction score
I still do not understand this what your saying unless I have miss- understood something and got it wrong. Angling does not have to be allowed, it is not disallowed now, if it comes under whatever new restricted measures are put in place when the lock-down rules are started to be lifted, we can go fishing, the same for all activities. It has nothing to do with the Angling Trust or clubs unless they want to carry on imposing their own restrictions. The angling trust can't insist on separate rules for anglers over walkers, horse riders etc. The Government do not have the time to apply separate rules for all the hundreds of different groups nor should their time be wasted in expecting them to; like they haven't got enough to deal with.

Angling isnt allowed here Mark,all clubs have closed their waters,commercials have closed,trout fisheries are not open,in my book that equates to being banned in my book...

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I thought I read elsewhere that the EA have temporarily cancelled" all licences and the Post Office are not issuing new ones at present . . .

that prompts the question as to what would the charges be if someone was caught fishing now? Just breaking the lockdown regulations or, fishing without a licence, or both?

Personally I an not finding it a problem at all as many know I continue to observe the Coarse fishing Close Season every year so wouldn't be fishing now in any event.

john step

Reaction score
Incorrect,as at present there is no live and let live,cycling is exercise,but like joggers its an excuse to be out longer than you should be,human nature is,or seems to be taking advantage of everything you can,maybe thats why this virus appeared,to rid the world of us....

Sorry but its not generally incorrect. Cycling is specifically mentioned as a permitted exercise. There will always be some who take the pee and cycle more and further than the hour recommended but I suspect not those that were originally mentioned ie the wobblers out with kids. I doubt they would last an hour.

In the same way there are others, well publicised, driving down to Cornwall for a pasty etc.

How on earth does one come to the conclusion that cyclist spend too long out. Certainly not in the general geriatric ones, myself included, or the young families enjoying the sunshine, round my parts.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
This thread just illustrates the confusion that many are finding in what is right and what is wrong, much seems to depend on who you listen to on what day of the week. As far as I know cycling is permitted, hence cycle shops are allowed to remain open. I’ve also heard a minister telling us it is ok to drive “a short distance” and then go and exercise. It has also been said that there is no time limit on your one and only exercise of the day by one spokesman.

Thank the lord you cannot take a toy inflatable out on the river at the moment.