Cane Rods

steve2

Reaction score
I appreciate carbon rods, I have some but like in the river or lake thread and I had to choose, I would go for a good split cane. So much more for your money than carbon.

Cane rods compared to Carbon rods are things of beauty. I was thinking when reading the Treat Youself thread about possibly buying a cane rod but then thought why buy something I wont use. Rods are to be used not admired if it"s not used it's just a piece of expensive cane.

Philip

Reaction score
I see cane rods like anything else were people like using or having older versions of something...cars, bikes, having an old radio or clock and so on. Its basically retro angling. Some people get a kick out of it and some dont.

In terms of new materials coming through one area to keep an eye on would be for things like Yacht masts, Americas Yacht racing sort of thing. I understand that its there that allot of the first progress & drive to have very long, light, stiff tubes made from Carbon and similar comes from so if something like Graphene or another new material really takes off that’s one of the first places it would see it happening. Angling then taps into it after.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
It all depends what your looking for in these rods, if your only looking for something to fish with and to replace your modern rods then maybe not, they are old and modern materials have an advantage, mainly lightness and durability, modern rings and maybe better at specific jobs.
But I am looking for something to invest in, something that looks nice, an interest in angling history, a nice little hobby to while away some time in old shops, and so on. I enjoy putting them in auctions and going along and have an afternoon looking at whats going on. Sometimes I meet some interesting people with the same interest, sellers and buyers. And occasionally I like to fish with them as well, I still think they make good fishing rods and fish better in some ways. But that is just down to how your comparing them and what with. I don't own any top range expensive modern rods so maybe I am elevating them a bit or a lot! At the end of the day I just enjoy the whole package and not just rods, anything old fishing, floats, stuffed fish, reels, books, the lot, and split cane rods are part of it all.

Last edited:

steve2

Reaction score
I will continue to search ebay and vintage sites just in case. It would be something along the lines of 10/11ft Avon for all round fishing.
I know my brother as a few in his loft but they have all been bought at auction for investment and just in case he starts fishing again. He prefers old style fishing tackle to modern shiny stuff.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I will continue to search ebay and vintage sites just in case. It would be something along the lines of 10/11ft Avon for all round fishing.
I know my brother as a few in his loft but they have all been bought at auction for investment and just in case he starts fishing again. He prefers old style fishing tackle to modern shiny stuff.
I have never had aan Avon rod although they sound the ticket, lots of people recommend them. The best I had was probably a "Perfection Roach" by Hardy but it was too beat up for me so I had to sell it to a restorer but I would have loved to have kept it. It was in fact perfect for roach fishing, a light lovely action-ed rod and looked great as well..

steve2

Reaction score
My brothers Wallis Avon always struck me as a good allrounder. That Perfection Roach looks a nice rod. I can just imagine that with a centrepin fishing on a small stream just like of my younger days. Isn't nostalgia wonderful in these times.

edsurf

Reaction score
I bought a B James and sons Avon perfection few years ago and had it refurbished , I bought it for old times sake and fish with it once a year in a charity fish in at the Royalty where all vintage tackle is used ,I use a speedia wide drum reel too, both older than me, I had a three pound plus perch on it and it put a nice bend in the rod , have to say after trotting for a couple of hours, my arms were shot , Rekon the older anglers must have been stronger tougher guys.

John Keane

Reaction score
Whenever anyone mentions the allure of vintage tackle like cane rods and Ambidex reels to me I usually reply “Remember when the flat iron had to be heated on the gas stove, or washing was done by banging it on a stone by the side of a river or cars had to be hand cranked using a starting handle? There’s a reason we don’t hanker for things like that any more, it’s called progress”

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Whenever anyone mentions the allure of vintage tackle like cane rods and Ambidex reels to me I usually reply “Remember when the flat iron had to be heated on the gas stove, or washing was done by banging it on a stone by the side of a river or cars had to be hand cranked using a starting handle? There’s a reason we don’t hanker for things like that any more, it’s called progress”

What, like Michelangelo to Tracy Emin sort of thing?

steve2

Reaction score
I do remeber srubbing boards that were one up from banging cloths on stones. Car with starting handles got me out of a few flat battery problems.

nottskev

Reaction score
It all depends what your looking for in these rods, if your only looking for something to fish with and to replace your modern rods then maybe not, they are old and modern materials have an advantage, mainly lightness and durability, modern rings and maybe better at specific jobs.
But I am looking for something to invest in, something that looks nice, an interest in angling history, a nice little hobby to while away some time in old shops, and so on. I enjoy putting them in auctions and going along and have an afternoon looking at whats going on. Sometimes I meet some interesting people with the same interest, sellers and buyers. And occasionally I like to fish with them as well, I still think they make good fishing rods and fish better in some ways. But that is just down to how your comparing them and what with. I don't own any top range expensive modern rods so maybe I am elevating them a bit or a lot! At the end of the day I just enjoy the whole package and not just rods, anything old fishing, floats, stuffed fish, reels, books, the lot, and split cane rods are part of it all.

I like this post. I haven't got any cane rods, but I've seen a few and waggled a few. You look at a top class rod today, and you think, what incredible technology we enjoy. You look at a cane rod and think, what craftsmanship it took! Cane rods have that quality you see in Singer sewing machines or 50's British motorbikes. Superseded, but lovely in their own way. It doesn't surprise me that some want to enjoy using them, a bit like those beautiful vintage cars that any of today's anonymous slug-shaped boxes would leave in the dust. I'll stick with the 21st century stuff for everyday fishing. But I do see the appeal of having some vintage stuff for the occasional pleasure of it. (If it's not all been snaffled by collectors with more money than me).

barbelboi

Reaction score
I bought a B James and sons Avon perfection few years ago and had it refurbished , I bought it for old times sake and fish with it once a year in a charity fish in at the Royalty where all vintage tackle is used ,I use a speedia wide drum reel too, both older than me, I had a three pound plus perch on it and it put a nice bend in the rod , have to say after trotting for a couple of hours, my arms were shot , Rekon the older anglers must have been stronger tougher guys.

Hi Ed how are you doing - maybe there'll be another LIF do when this is all over.............

barbelboi

Reaction score
Alan Tyler uses nothing else,or should I say not that I've seen.

Talking about Alan, if you're looking in remember that wild and windy day on the Kennet at the Wasing Estate all those years ago - still remember Merlot's 'tantrums' after losing that 'monster' chub as if they were yesterday................

John Keane

Reaction score
Bloody hell how old are your mate , washing on a stone.

Figure of speech but I remember dolly tubs, and washboards when I was a nipper, but not old enough to get all misty eyed and nostalgic about cane rods!

mikench

Reaction score
Bloody hell how old are your mate , washing on a stone.

He's from Liverpool.:rolleyes::peep::behindsofa:

My old gran used an old washing machine with a separate mangle until her late 70's and then inexplicably bought a new automatic machine which she just couldn't fathom. Guess who got it as a wedding present?

Last edited:

seth49

Reaction score
I remember the first washing machine we got on the farm, it was a twin tub, ie separate washer and spin dryer, it used to tie the washing in knots, and we had to put wedges under the front to stop it wandering around the kitchen on spin cycle.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
John doesn't need a spin dryer, he threw away all his cotton shirts and swapped them for nylon ones in the name of progress.:)

Last edited: