Cane Rods

steve2

Reaction score
John, I know you are keen on salmon fishing how do you think you would cope having to cast with 14ft or more splitcane fly rod. I don't know how the did it all day they must have had arms like popeye. Have you ever tried it?

John Keane

Reaction score
John, I know you are keen on salmon fishing how do you think you would cope having to cast with 14ft or more splitcane fly rod. I don't know how the did it all day they must have had arms like popeye. Have you ever tried it?

Glad I never had to do it! My first salmon rod was a Daiwa CF98 and, looking back, it was a pile of rubbish, action like a string of spaghetti! The advent of Spey profile lines, and the springier action rods to cast them, has revolutionised salmon fishing. You can google someone casting a 15ft greenheart rod on the Spey at Tulchan and they make a decent fist of it (for the duration of the video) using something like that all day would be a killer!

mikench

Reaction score
I can’t say I’m tempted by a cane rod but I can say I would not buy a new and expensive one without having several waggles.

I played with my 1963 cane rod and I can see why I wasn’t too successful as a boy angler although it hasn’t lasted very well and definately has not been looked after.

Not a rod to buy online in my view. All of the carbon rods I have bought on eBay following recommendations on here have not disappointed and are , to my mind, things of beauty.

Each to their own.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Glad I never had to do it! My first salmon rod was a Daiwa CF98 and, looking back, it was a pile of rubbish, action like a string of spaghetti! The advent of Spey profile lines, and the springier action rods to cast them, has revolutionised salmon fishing. You can google someone casting a 15ft greenheart rod on the Spey at Tulchan and they make a decent fist of it (for the duration of the video) using something like that all day would be a killer!

You have to remember that in the days of greenheart salmon fly rods the ghillie did the casting and fishing then handed over the rod when a fish was hooked.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Do you know if they trained for it by tossing cabers?

I wouldn't be surprised. By all accounts the ghillies of old were tough beggars and the effete aristocracy would have not had the strength and stamina to use a heavy rod all day.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I had a Sliced Grants Vibration green-hart salmon rod a while ago. The fascinating thing were the splices, they were perfectly matched and when the two sections were together it would look like a continuous rod, many thought this was superior to ferrules; it did not create the stress of ferrules and it could not turn when casting, and provided a better cast, no dead spots, some I believe still use these rods today for this reason.
I don't know if that is a problem in today's salmon rods but I thought it a neat idea. I have had screw and lock ferrules in old coarse/fly rods but had never seen this spliced type. I think it is an old idea but a good one that has been lost.
It was the most beautiful rod I have ever seen, all polished and a lovely veneer to it and wonderfully crafted. The splices were held together by leather straps apparently but I never had those to go with it. I bought it for about £25 and put it in auction with a reserve of £60. I thought I should get a £100 for it but on the day it had two bids but didn't reach the reserve. However, someone must have put a later offer in for £55 and the auction let it go with their discretion. I wish I hadn't sold it to be honest; it was worth a £100 and some to my mind but auctions are strange beasts.
It was 16ft and heavy but only by comparison, heavier than cane I would think but in its day, no one knew any different. Still a lovely thing to own, a real piece of history and given the chance, I would have loved to have tried it out. I wouldn't have been afraid of the weight, maybe more rest spots than with a modern rod but that wouldn't have bothered me.

Last edited:

edsurf

Reaction score
Figure of speech but I remember dolly tubs, and washboards when I was a nipper, but not old enough to get all misty eyed and nostalgic about cane rods!

I bet you get all misty eyed about Liverpool not getting the premiership trophy this year mate . hard luck.